ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Flex Protect schedule plan

TucsonCat

Sophomore
Sep 10, 2022
They are still sussing it out.
But the Big 10 is looking at individual schools deciding how many permanent opponents to have.
If Michigan wants to play Ohio State and Michigan State all the time, great.
If Wisconsin wants Minnesota, but no one else, that works too.
Just means you cycle through the variable teams a little quicker.

I really wish the SEC would do this. Play 9 games, great. But no reason Kentucky has to pretend that Mississippi State is a rival to play every year. Why do we get penalized and have to go to Starkville or on of the Colombiad twice every 4 years?

Good idea imo. Seems would make everybody most happy. Mathematicians & computers can make any combo work out in hours. But the key point is that it's 9 games a season without pods/divisions so that you play everyone else at least every other year. No 2-6 crap where you may not play someone for 3-4 years.

I like the flexibility.

It prevents committing to stale, uninteresting, not very competitive games.

I wouldn't leave anything up to teams deciding their 2-3 regular opponents. That will just turn into an extension of OOC scheduling, everyone will want Vandy and whoever else is in the cellar.

Conference needs to give themselves some room to make sure the best teams are always playing one another in the regular season.

The old model, and even a modernized "3 perms" prevents great games.

Sounds good, better than trying to jam 16 square pegs into round holes

But the Big 10 is looking at individual schools deciding how many permanent opponents to have.

I really wish the SEC would do this. Play 9 games, great. But no reason Kentucky has to pretend that Mississippi State is a rival to play every year. Why do we get penalized and have to go to Starkville or on of the Colombiad twice every 4 years?

So what is the Big 10 going to do if, for example, Northwestern want to play Wisconsin? Or Michigan State doesn't want to play Michigan? OK very unlikley example but you get the point.

3/6/6 guarantees a full cycle, home-and-home every 4 years.

Frankly, it doesn’t make much difference who our “protected” teams are.

For “real” balance, after 4 years, throw the names in a hat, and re-assign randomly for the next 4 years. But I guess Bama fans would miss smoking cigars every year!!

So what is the Big 10 going to do if, for example, Northwestern want to play Wisconsin? Or Michigan State doesn't want to play Michigan? OK very unlikley example but you get the point.
Then those teams aren't rivals. They still have to play each other, just not every year.

I agree. You would think at some point down the road it would not work using as many as 3 different formulas. The 3 and 6 formula makes the most sense.

Yeah, I will need to see a detailed template and example for all teams to see how this would work. I know it can or they wouldn't suggest it but seems like it would take more time each year to make the schedule.

I'm pretty sure the SEC will do the set 3 and 6 rotating every other year so will leave this to the big 10.

Yeah, I will need to see a detailed template and example for all teams to see how this would work. I know it can or they wouldn't suggest it but seems like it would take more time each year to make the schedule.

I'm pretty sure the SEC will do the set 3 and 6 rotating every other year so will leave this to the big 10.

Yeah I think that is basically a done deal for SEC. Several models been throw out there but I think they are waiting for presidents and ADs final approval before its officially released.

It is ridiculous for the SEC to pick MSU as some sort of UK rival that requires an annual game. The cowbells are the worst thing about the SEC. If MSU was sent to the Big 12, I would not shed a tear.

Yeah I think that is basically a done deal for SEC. Several models been throw out there but I think they are waiting for presidents and ADs final approval before its officially released.
Yea, it is so tough to figure out that they've been working on it for three years & still don't have it approved. Must take a bunch of rocket scientists.

Yea, it is so tough to figure out that they've been working on it for three years & still don't have it approved. Must take a bunch of rocket scientists.

I can't remember the exact number of schools it takes now, but I believe 12. It's not so much rocket science as getting 12 votes to approve the schedule. Everyone has their own agenda, just like Saban complaining about having LSU, AU and TN as their 3 perm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT