ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10, ACC and Pac 12 to form alliance

Does this new scheduling alliance between the Big Ten, ACC and Pac 12 mean we won't be playing out of conference regular season games against those teams in the near future?

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
I don't understand the negativity toward this, other than it probably won't work. Im all for an alliance. Wish it was stronger. I don't want college football to turn into a regional sport like lacrosse. Hope they schedule better games. Have some planning about conference alignment instead of every man for himself.

Reactions: UK90
Nothing more than a PR move. They needed to make it look like they were doing something. The telling sign, from what I understand, there's nothing binding/contract just a hand shake type agreement.

Reactions: Smashcat
KU fans are actually wondering if they can join the Big East.

Again, does this mean our football and basketball series with Louisville dies? What about the Champions Classic and the CBS Sports Classic?

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
The SEC should become autonomous.

Play a 30 game schedule (play every SEC team home and away) and a tourney in basketball and a 12 game schedule in football and have a 4-6 team playoff and be done with it.

And if the ACC-Big 10-PAC-12 champion wants to play the SEC winner for a national championship, bring it on.

The SEC doesn’t need any alliances to help them make money.

This is a bunch of ostriches, with their heads in the sand, trying to look relevant. All while praying the SEC doesn't come knocking on anyone else's door (unless of course, it was THEIR door).

And for all the high and mighty talk about academics and student-athletes.... consider the very biggest cheaters in all of sports all reside in these conferences.

Crocodile tears.

The SEC should become autonomous.

Play a 30 game schedule (play every SEC team home and away) and a tourney in basketball and a 12 game schedule in football and have a 4-6 team playoff and be done with it.

And if the ACC-Big 10-PAC-12 champion wants to play the SEC winner for a national championship, bring it on.

The SEC doesn’t need any alliances to help them make money.
I like this in general. But while there are still Villanovas, Baylors, Kansases (maybe the ashes of UNC and Duke will smoulder?) and Oho States out there I like the opportunity to say yeah, we were better than you, too, at the end of everything.

I could really go for a modified version of this, with an 8 or 16-team playoff added at the end from the whole country.

This is a bunch of ostriches, with their heads in the sand, trying to look relevant. All while praying the SEC doesn't come knocking on anyone else's door (unless of course, it was THEIR door).

And for all the high and mighty talk about academics and student-athletes.... consider the very biggest cheaters in all of sports all reside in these conferences.

Crocodile tears.
Bruce Pearl hasn’t been the head coach at any school in those conferences though.

Crocodile tears.
PREACH ON!!

Well, let's see, this is supposed to combat the growing strength of the SEC.

I can foresee multiple problems with this "alliance."
IF it's becoming ONE league, there are way too many teams here. WAAYYY too many teams.
In football, certain bowl games have ties to certain conferences. Imagine Texas Tech playing in the Rose Bowl in a non-BCS title game. Imagine Northwestern playing in the Cotton Bowl.

IF they are crowning ONE champ from this alliance, imagine the issues. That's a whole bunch of teams that suddenly just got relegated to the "also ran" zone.

Even IF they get 10 bids to the NCAA tournament, imagine the chaos. These 3 conference usually get 20 bids or so. Will this new conference expect to get 20 bids? Not likely. Once again, you go from being likely in the tournament in your normal 12-team conference to being on the outside looking in with this "alliance." Why? Because suddenly your 19-20 win normal schedule just added teams from 2 other major conferences and just became maybe 15 wins. You could go from being the #5 or #6 team in your 12-team conference (and pretty much a sure thing for the DANCE) to being #19 or #20 in this 41-team "alliance."

I'll just say this- I know this is really all about the money, let's be honest. Getting big checks is nice for these programs and these schools, but if I'm a fan of a good but not great school (in football and basketball) who is used to seeing my team make the postseason most of the time and having a chance to make some noise and now suddenly we're part of this alliance and my team will struggle to see the postseason because of all the increased competition, I'm not liking it at all. We might be making more money, but what does this do to my team's competitiveness?

Reactions: chroix
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT