ADVERTISEMENT

Best way to get into IT/Programming without a degree?

Our son's a programmer. There's been considerable pressure to cut-out the bottom tier guys for years. Drag and drop web sites. 4G data bases. AI can be used to come up with the framework for standard web apps in a couple of hours. You pick the drapes and AI does the rest.

15 years ago, I had a web site and I didn't code anything, and afterwards I was even able to audit who was visiting and where they were coming from. Web crawling bots from Eastern Europe apparently were fascinated by my stuff. 10-12 times a week. Woohoo.

Anyway, AI, drag and drop, 4G, and expert systems have been in programming for over 40 years. In IT, I suppose they still need people to say, "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Good representation of how AI and automation and managed/cloud services are causing IT departments to become obsolete, or at least show cause to downsize.

I personally, will likely lose several job responsibilities this year, as some of my systems moves to the cloud, where an hour long task might now just take 5 minutes. And you'd be kidding yourself if you think management and executives arent aware of this.

Traditional IT is changing big time. These systems just manage themselves more and more, where human interaction isn't needed as much. What's left is some lower level customer service, "keep the lights on" engineers.. and a lot of sales/account management.

Good representation of how AI and automation and managed/cloud services are causing IT departments to become obsolete, or at least show cause to downsize.

I personally, will likely lose several job responsibilities this year, as some of my systems moves to the cloud, where an hour long task might now just take 5 minutes. And you'd be kidding yourself if you think management and executives arent aware of this.

Traditional IT is changing big time. These systems just manage themselves more and more, where human interaction isn't needed as much. What's left is some lower level customer service, "keep the lights on" engineers.. and a lot of sales/account management.
Sounds great. AI can f-ck off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT