ADVERTISEMENT

Best UK win that no one talks about

So far I've seen 3 of the Top Ten talked about games of the last decade listed: Ohio State 2011, UNC 2011 and Indiana 2012 are all routinely discussed here. None of those are obscure.

A great game no one talks about? Princeton, 2011. That wonderful run to the first Final Four in 13 years almost ended before it began. I re-watched it recently. It wasn't just some boring game that Brandon Knight salvaged with a predictable last shot.

Princeton had a great game plan, executed it perfectly, and played way over their heads. It took a number of clutch, gutsy plays by Kentucky to stick around to be able to have Knight pull it out.

One of my all time favorite games was against Michigan St in Rupp in December 1999. We had just lost to them in the Elite 8, and they would go on to win the national championship. Michigan St jumped out to an early 12 or 13 point lead when the Cats started working their way back. JP Blevins played perhaps his best game that night and helped lead the way with his 3 point shooting. Jamaal Magloire at one point almost literally power bombed Charlie Bell and got t’d up for it. Rupp was hot once the Cats got back in it. In the final sequence, I believe it may have been Morris Peterson went for the game tying shot with the cats up 2 points, only to have Tayshaun Prince foul the ever living shit out of him, with the refs swallowing their whistles. Game over, and Cats exact a modicum of revenge.

It has been discussed a lot...but mine non-tourney favorite win is UNC in Vegas...
The first game my son attended, and it hooked him to UK for life.
The atomsphere/crowd was great, an incredibly great game and after the game- EVERY UNC fan that approached us was like "wow, that was one of the best games ever, congratulations"

2012 Sweet Sixteen v IU. They threw the kitchen sink at us and our front line was incredible. MKG best game?
We hit 35 of 37 FTs. An incredible feat for a team that shot 72% from the line all year.

The criteria here is a little confusing. It's hard to have a "best" game if it's not one anybody talks about. I might suggest the 2016 win against Duke. That 2016 team gets forgotten a lot, but Jamal Murray was a monster that year. And that game we got great games out of Briscoe, Lee and Poythress. Even Skal made a nice contribution there before he completely disappeared

Reactions: UK90
One of my favorite regular season wins that I personally don’t see talked about a whole lot was the Houston game in 84 at Rupp. It’s possible that ppl mention it quite a bit & I just don’t happen to see it. So, sorry if that’s the case. But, it was a very big game & was hyped as the battle between Olajuwon & the twin towers. It was also the undercard event on Super Bowl Sunday & was one of the best, most energetic crowds I’ve seen at Rupp. Although, I wasn’t there & only watched on tv.

Each team had 4 players who went on to play in the NBA, headlined by Olajuwon & Bowie, the top 2 picks in the 84 draft. UK entered the game ranked #3 & Houston was #4. Houston was national runners up in 83 & one of the favorites in 84 but ended with another runner up finish. If not for the worst shooting half by a UK team in my lifetime we would’ve had a rematch for the national championship.

Houston jumped out to an 11-1 lead but UK settled down & took over the rest of the way, led by Kenny Walker, Bowie & Roger Harden, who was big with 6 points & 6 assists. Olajuwon finished with a double-double but fouled out with 6+ minutes to play & essentially ended Houston’s hopes of a comeback as UK held on for a 74-67 victory. It was a great game between two great teams. And, that 84 UK team is one of my 2-3 favorites but I’m still not over the Georgetown debacle & probably never will be.

Last edited:
the ‘99 sect was nice. we beat ole miss then auburn who was highly ranked, then denied ark yet again. all were double digit wins.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
In my opinion it's the 2011 Elite Eight game against North Carolina. I justv
thought that game was fun to watch especially sending the tarholes home.
I’m with you on the UNC win in 2011. That was a great win for several reasons.

1. It was our first Final Four in 13 years
  2. Before the season Mark Emmert & the NCAA ruled Enes Kanter ineligible. Dick Vitale said. That if Kanter was at any school besides UK. That the NCAA would have let him play. To make the Final Four without Kanter & to shove it down the NCAA’s throat, absolutely priceless.
  3. The NCAA selection committee gave us a 4 seed when we should have had either a 2 or 3 seed, & placed UK in the region with the No. 1 overall seed Ohio State & the best No.2 seed UNC. I’m convinced the selection committee did this hopping to stop UK from going to the Final Four. To beat both those teams & disappoint those at the NCAA with a jealous hate for UK. You just can’t put a price on it.

1993 Elite 8 over Florida St - first final 4 trip since 84, showed the 92 Elite 8 run was not a fluke and it was nice to win it after the way 92 ended. I think Todd Svoboda made his 1 career 3-point attempt in that game too

In my opinion it's the 2011 Elite Eight game against North Carolina. I justv
thought that game was fun to watch especially sending the tarholes home.

Yeah kinda gets overshadowed by Ohio State. That was a great weekend- probably in my top 5 as a UK fan.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
I’ll go with that Kentucky/Kansas second round game from 1999. I think that game is completely forgotten because we fell short of the Final Four, ending our run.

Game went to OT. I’ll never forget Jeff Boschee wagging his tongue when he thought they had put us away. Oops.

I’ll go with that Kentucky/Kansas second round game from 1999. I think that game is completely forgotten because we fell short of the Final Four, ending our run.

Game went to OT. I’ll never forget Jeff Boschee wagging his tongue when he thought they had put us away. Oops.

That one really hurt. -Kansas fan.

Reactions: UKrazycat2 and Aike
The game that always sticks in my mind in the cal era is our first game in the 2011 ncaa tourny vs princeton that we nearly lost, but won by two, on our way to the f4.

Being from the Cincinnati area, I’m going to go with the 2005 2nd round win against Cincinnati. Love how we manned up against a tough team and took it to them. Shut their fans up too.

2015 vs Notre Dame. The loss to Wisconsin overshadowed the win there but many forget that game and how hard it was to win that. KAT put the team on his back that game and Andrew Harrison won it for us with the clutch free throws at the end. Would also put 2008 vs Tennessee up there as someone pointed out earlier as well as our demolition of Kansas in the 14-15 season.

The 2000-01 season.

The first game of the renewal of the UK-UNC series in Chapel Hill.

UK limps into the game 1-3. UNC is ranked like 5th or 6th.

Cats lay a 93-76 beatdown in the Deandome.

Freshman Cliff Hawkins had a big game.

I was so excited about that game.

You are correct. It was a "beatdown."

Carolina was headed toward their worst defeat ever at the Dean Dome until Joseph Forte hit 2-3 three-pointers in the last few minutes.

Before the game, all the talk was about Forte. ACC Freshman of the Year.

The following year he was ACC Player of the Year.

Two years in the NBA.

Keith Bogans (in the same class) played only 11 seasons in the League.

2012 Sweet Sixteen v IU. They threw the kitchen sink at us and our front line was incredible. MKG best game?

Good choice. This is a fun game to rewatch, very entertaining and both teams played really well. IU came out fired up with their A plus game, but it still wasn't enough to hold us off.

Last edited:
I was so excited about that game.

You are correct. It was a "beatdown."

Carolina was headed toward their worst defeat ever at the Dean Dome until Joseph Forte hit 2-3 three-pointers in the last few minutes.

Before the game, all the talk was about Forte. ACC Freshman of the Year.

The following year he was ACC Player of the Year.

Two years in the NBA.

Keith Bogans (in the same class) played only 11 seasons in the League.
Forte and Bogans were not only from the same class -- they played on the same high school team. I saw them play together at DeMatha in Prince George's County, Maryland.

That was an immensely enjoyable game. I remember I was traveling in Tallahassee and watched it in a hotel room. My expectations were not high, but I was blown away by how well Hawkins, Estill and even Erik Daniels played. They were the stars instead of Prince, Bogans and Parker.

The first four games in that renewed series were uplifting. Every now and then I watch them in sequence -- two blow-outs in Chapel Hill, Tayshaun's five 3s, and a game at Rupp in which Fitch hits a very difficult three in the final seconds to seal it. As Cliff Hawkins goes to the free throw line with a couple seconds to go, Billy Packer says, "He'll be able to say he played North Carolina four times, and he beat them four times." Hell, I could listen to him say that again today.

Last edited:
For those of us who were around.

UK knocking off Indiana in the 1983 NCAA Tournament. Setting up the Dream Game.

Cats getting a rare win in Stokely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT