ADVERTISEMENT

Best four-year player at UK?

The 72-73 season was the first with freshmen eligibility.
But they had a freshman team, so they should technically qualify.

Prince was one of my favorite players, not sure if I’d qualify him as the best. Guys like Issel, Dampier, Givens. And others would have to be in the list.

Those old guys get no respect. Just saw a show where guys picked an All-time Celtics team, by position. Dennis Johnson and Paul Pierce were chosen over Bob Cousy and John Havlicheck.
That's insane at least for DJ; both Cousy and JH rate well above him. I never liked the Jayhawk but I can't deny he's an all time great.

Just for reference, below are the 1000-point UK career scorers who played four years at UK:

Kenny Walker 2080​
Jack Givens 2038​
Keith Bogans 1923​
Tony Delk 1890​
Tayshaun Prince 1775​
Alex Groza 1774 (freshman year only played 10 games before entering the Army)​
Ed Davender 1637​
Ralph Beard 1517​
Melvin Turpin 1509​
Joe Crawford 1438​
Winston Bennett 1399​
Rick Robey 1395​
Gerald Fitch 1391​
Mike Phillips 1367​
Ramel Bradley 1326​
Jim Master 1283​
John Pelphrey 1257​
Scott Padgett 1252​
Darius Miller 1248​
Deron Feldhaus 1232​
Derrick Hord 1220​
Chuck Hayes 1211​
Wayne Turner 1170​
Reggie Hanson 1167​
Derrick Miller 1156​
Wah Wah Jones 1151​
Jeff Sheppard 1091​
Dirk Minniefield 1069​
Jamaal Magloire 1064​
Erik Daniels 1053​
Jim Line 1041​
Issell scored less than 1041? I find they hard to believe, he scored hair under 34 ppg his senior season

In my lifetime (the first team I remember was around 91ish/ 92, I’d say Tay is my favorite but it would probably be a guy I wasn’t able to watch like Issel or Walker. Kenny is a good dude, I’ve had the opportunity to do some things with him. All of the Hall guys were just awesome. Totally different humble nature to those guys than current players.

Those old guys get no respect. Just saw a show where guys picked an All-time Celtics team, by position. Dennis Johnson and Paul Pierce were chosen over Bob Cousy and John Havlicheck.
Cousy was ridiculous. DJ is a chump in comparison.

Issell scored less than 1041? I find they hard to believe, he scored hair under 34 ppg his senior season

Issel didn't play four years of varsity. He played during an era when freshmen were ineligible to play on the varsity so he only played three years on the varsity.

This list is only those players who played four varsity seasons for UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: UK90
+1 but I might give Goose the edge for leading us to a title which Sky was never able to do.
Probably so...when the last memory you have of a player as a Wildcat is him dropping 41 on the dookies in a title game victory, that probably takes all ties. But man did I love watching Walker play...

Reactions: KFuqua
Probably so...when the last memory you have of a player as a Wildcat is him dropping 41 on the dookies in a title game victory, that probably takes all ties. But man did I love watching Walker play...
I remember Walker way more than Goose just because I was only 7 win he led UK to a title. However basing it off of stats, titles, fans adoration, etc. I would give the slight edge to Goose. With that said I talked to Kenny at an appearance once for an hour or so and he was as cool as they come. Told a lot of stories about his playing days. I was taken back to my teenage years hearing him tell the stories and as a lifelong UK fan it was quite the experience.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I always hate the "X won a title (or more titles), so he is better" argument. It doesn't take into consideration who you had playing with you. Walker was not on very talented teams his JR & SR years. Yes, the 86 team was a contender, but only because Walker put them on his back. That's why Dale Brown played the Freak defense, to put all the focus on KW and have the other 4 beat them (which they didn't). Yes, Givens was "the guy" on the 78 team, but they also had Macy, Robey & Phillips. At most, the "title" argument is a tiebreaker.

But it is close between Givens and Walker. So, if anyone thinks Givens, I have no argument with that. I'll stick with Walker though.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
These “best player “ threads can be interesting to read but it’s so impossible to compare players from different teams, different eras, different positions. Stats? What did your team need you to do? Championships? What kind of help did you have? Familiarity ? Have we seen them all? Awards? Who was the competition for the honors ?

Issel didn't play four years of varsity. He played during an era when freshmen were ineligible to play on the varsity so he only played three years on the varsity.
No matter IMO. He scored more in three years than any of the four year players. And, he and other players who played on Freshnen Jr. Varsity were there all four years.

This list is only those players who played four varsity seasons for UK.
Gotcha. He put up 4 year numbers in 3 years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT