ADVERTISEMENT

Best Decade for Movies?

I'm going to go 80's. Raging Bull, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders, ET, Back to the Future, Blade Runner, Aliens, The Shining, Breakfast Club, Ghostbusters, Stand By Me, Fast Times, Spinal Tap, Top Gun, Bevery Hills Cop, Karate Kid, Batman, Superman 2.. 70's probably the best for dramas.

For me personally, it's the '80s, then the '90s, then the '70s (the New Hollywood era). But it's close. I love a lot of movies from all decades.

The Dark Crystal (1982) and Return of the Jedi (1983) were the first movies I saw in a theater, and Gremlins (1984) was the first movie I saw at a drive-in. 1989's Batman was the first movie I saw at a theater twice.

It's the 70s for me with some of my all-time favorite movies especially Smokey and The Bandit, Blazing Sadles, Star Wars among many more.

Just a heads-up if you're near Pulaski county:

344547288_3410589019181505_9152745441890920224_n.jpg

They're showing Raiders of the Lost Ark next month.

Last edited:
Oh I forgot Gremlins and Goonies. I saw Raiders at least 10 times as a kid, our theater had a 25 cent 10am showing during the summer and it played for a year and a half. It was a 2 movie theater and the other movie kept changing every 2 weeks.

Reactions: UK82 and J_Dee
90s, and it not even close.

Dramas

Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Saving Private Ryan
Fargo
Silence of the Lambs
Shawshank Redemption
Forrest Gump
Unforgiven
Dances With Wolves
Braveheart
Jurassic Park

Animated

Toy Story
The Lion King
Alladin

Comedies

Groundhog Day
The Big Lebowski
Austin Powers
There’s Something About Nary
My Cousin Vinnie
Tommy Boy
Office Space

1970s by far

Godfather 1&2
Chinatown
French Connection
All the President's Men
Network
The Conversation
Dog Day Afternoon
Cabaret
Deliverance
Jaws
Close Encounters
Annie Hall
Being There
Clockwork Orange
Taxi Driver
Barry Lyndon
Mean Streets
The Exorcist
Nashville
Star Wars
Days of Heaven
Deer Hunter
Apocalypse Now
Serpico
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Last Detail
5 Easy Pieces

Just to name a few

1980's-2010 was the best period for me. Back when movies told very entertaining stories and special effects were out of their infancy. Since 2010, it's either comic book movies or unwatchable political message movies for the most part.

Last edited:
90s, and it not even close.

Dramas

Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Saving Private Ryan
Fargo
Silence of the Lambs
Shawshank Redemption
Forrest Gump
Unforgiven
Dances With Wolves
Braveheart
Jurassic Park

Animated

Toy Story
The Lion King
Alladin

Comedies

Groundhog Day
The Big Lebowski
Austin Powers
There’s Something About Nary
My Cousin Vinnie
Tommy Boy
Office Space
Dumb and dumber. And most of the Adam Sandler movies I’m pretty sure were from the 90s.

Ace venturas as well.

The correct answer is the 1970s. Scorsese, Copolla, Spielberg, Kubrick, Lucas. Second-best was the 1930s, stars like Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Greta Garbo, Astaire and Rogers, and legendary directors like John Ford, Howard Hawks, Ernst Lubitsch, Frank Capra. Come to think of it, maybe the '30s edge out the '70s.

Reactions: UK82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT