ADVERTISEMENT

Best celebrity chef restaurant you ever tried.

Before Darnell Ferguson decided to get a big head and focused on becoming a Food Network celebrity, his Super Chef's restaurant was a pretty amazing spot for Brunch. Of course now he's in some hot water over a domestic violence issue and likely pissed all that away, but he was a pretty amazing chef. The company I work for has a Corporate Chef who cooks us lunch every day and was really good friends with Darnell Ferguson. He's competed on Guys Grocery Games, Chopped and the Grudge Match show Ferguson hosted before his legal troubles. I'm pretty fortunate to have a chef prepared meal for lunch every day.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Kenny's Country Broasters!
Michael Richards Eating GIF

Kramer is that you?

Before Darnell Ferguson decided to get a big head and focused on becoming a Food Network celebrity, his Super Chef's restaurant was a pretty amazing spot for Brunch. Of course now he's in some hot water over a domestic violence issue and likely pissed all that away, but he was a pretty amazing chef. The company I work for has a Corporate Chef who cooks us lunch every day and was really good friends with Darnell Ferguson. He's competed on Guys Grocery Games, Chopped and the Grudge Match show Ferguson hosted before his legal troubles. I'm pretty fortunate to have a chef prepared meal for lunch every day.
When he opened SuperChefs in St Matthews we went. I ordered a hamburger and they brought it out with a patty between two pieces of white toast. I asked why it wasn't on a bun, and the manager came out to tell me they were out of buns and this was all they had. They wouldn't comp my meal. It was terrible.

When he opened SuperChefs in St Matthews we went. I ordered a hamburger and they brought it out with a patty between two pieces of white toast. I asked why it wasn't on a bun, and the manager came out to tell me they were out of buns and this was all they had. They wouldn't comp my meal. It was terrible.

Talented guy but awful at running a business and his life. Iirc he moved to Louisville to get away from basically the same poor judgment in Columbus.

Robert Irvine used to have a place called eat! in Hilton Head. I had a very excellent meal there. Also, Husk was great. Best meal experience of my life was Curaté in Asheville. Not sure Katie Button is a celebrity chef, but everyone should eat there at least once.

Sean Brock is definitely at that level imo. Curate is amazing but her other restaurants haven't enjoyed success. Few people ever achieve a product like curate though.

Imo Ed Lee is right on the cusp. Has some amazing concepts in Louisville and DC. Top notch.

Last edited:
I’m convinced that if Wolfgang Puck, Bobby Flay, Emerill, Cat Cora and Guy Fierri had more traditional names we would never have heard of them.

Talented guy but awful at running a business and his life. Iirc he moved to Louisville to get away from basically the same poor judgment in Columbus.

Sean Brock is definitely at that level imo. Curate is amazing but her other restaurants haven't enjoyed success. Few people ever achieve a product like curate though.

Imo Ed Lee is right on the cusp. Has some amazing concepts in Louisville and DC. Top notch.
I haven’t had 610 magnolia yet; but really enjoyed Nami.

Wife and I went to Graham Elliott's namesake restaurant in 2012. It had two Michelin stars. Food was unbelievable...and expensive. IIRC he was eventually sued by some of employees and restaurant closed a few years later.

3 stand out above endless others I've enjoyed:

Thomas Keller - The French Laundry

Mario Batali, Lydia/Joe Bastianich - Del Posto

Savoy Grill - Gordon Ramsay (London)
Same top two for me, and the company at both places was great.

Haven't done Savoy.

Last edited:
That restaurant (Milkwood) in the basement of Actor's Theater. Ed Lee. Southern US/Korean mashup. Best 3 meals I've ever had. (3 of us. Each got a different sampler and we shared.) It's now closed.

Lee had a more upscale restaurant at 610 Magnolia. It may still be there, but I don't know.

One vacation in NYC we all got ill and spent the bulk of our time in our AirBnB. The last night, rather than infect NYC, we got carryout from Momofuku. Easily the best carryout we've ever had. One irony: their country ham was from Broadbent in Kuttawa, Kentucky. (Eddyville)

Wife and I went to Graham Elliott's namesake restaurant in 2012. It had two Michelin stars. Food was unbelievable...and expensive. IIRC he was eventually sued by some of employees and restaurant closed a few years later.
What ? I am shocked a Michelin star rated restaurant was expensive !! Did they not have the 5 entrees for $9.99 ? No value menu ? How about drink specials ? Any $1.99 draft beer deals ? $3 well drinks ?They would probably print money if they would do that or a buy one get one free. Really draw in the big spending diners.

• Haha
Reactions: HagginHall1999
What ? I am shocked a Michelin star rated restaurant was expensive !! Did they not have the 5 entrees for $9.99 ? No value menu ? How about drink specials ? Any $1.99 draft beer deals ? $3 well drinks ?They would probably print money if they would do that or a buy one get one free. Really draw in the big spending diners.

Yeah, probably didn't need to add that
....goes without saying.

I never went to the one in St. Matthews before it burned down, I went to his breakfast place he opened in the Highlands after that. The cereal crusted French toast was pretty darn delicious.

I’m convinced that if Wolfgang Puck, Bobby Flay, Emerill, Cat Cora and Guy Fierri had more traditional names we would never have heard of them.
Went to Guy Fieri's place at 4th Street Live a while back. Felt really rushed. wife and I ordered one of the platters to share. it looked big on the menu and the price had us believing it was enough for the both of us. It wasn't. It was basically a sampling of a few things and they were only OK. but we were there to have a relaxing meal and they rushed everything. we were in and out of there in 45 minutes, like they were trying to turn tables really fast when the place was over half empty. They would have gotten a better and bigger tip if they had slowed down, sold us a couple more drinks and not made us feel like they wanted us out of there.

Went to Guy Fieri's place at 4th Street Live a while back. Felt really rushed. wife and I ordered one of the platters to share. it looked big on the menu and the price had us believing it was enough for the both of us. It wasn't. It was basically a sampling of a few things and they were only OK. but we were there to have a relaxing meal and they rushed everything. we were in and out of there in 45 minutes, like they were trying to turn tables really fast when the place was over half empty. They would have gotten a better and bigger tip if they had slowed down, sold us a couple more drinks and not made us feel like they wanted us out of there.

Unfortunately that place was only ok before the 2020 events. Afterwards it's pretty blah. They cut out pretty much everything and only have a very limited offering because they cant find anyone to work.

3 stand out above endless others I've enjoyed:

Thomas Keller - The French Laundry

Mario Batali, Lydia/Joe Bastianich - Del Posto

Savoy Grill - Gordon Ramsay (London)
Keller made his bones as a chef long before becoming a celebrity and doesn’t whore it his name to every tourist trap in the country like Fieri and Emeril.

Never known anyone who went to French Laundry to do anything but rave about it.

Yeah, you'd assume it would be stuffy to the point of awkwardness or even intimidation...but it's anything but.

Place is magical, and a really fun upbeat night. I can't recommend it enough if you're ever in the area - it's far from an impossible table, we even scored infamous "Newsome Covid Dinner" room for our party of 12.

There are 2 types of celebrity chefs: Those that became so by being legit master chefs/restauranteurs, and then those that are marketing/tv geniuses with large personalities. There is some definite overlap there, but the latter lose focus after a bit and just become 'corporations' more or less and have next-to-nothing to do with anything but their name being on the Menu and the $$$ they rake in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT