ADVERTISEMENT

BBN climate on social media?

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
I'm curious as to what the climate of BBN is on various platforms, and if they echo the climate here. I don't do FB a ton, and usually try to stay out of comments anyway. Wondering what FB, IG, X, SofB and other UK sites are like.

Can anyone that frequents these give an honest assessment across the once proud nation?

Reactions: cdbearde
I don't do social media, but 95% of my family and friends have been done with Cal for a couple of years. None of them are on this board.

I know this is anecdotal, but I really don't think the sentiment on this board is in the minority as some would have us believe.

LU5nopY.jpeg

I don't do social media, but 95% of my family and friends have been done with Cal for a couple of years. None of them are on this board.

I know this is anecdotal, but I really don't think the sentiment on this board is in the minority as some would have us believe.
None of my friends who follow the game closely have been happy with Cal for years.

None of my friends who follow the game closely have been happy with Cal for years.

Same. All my family is down in Louisville and Lex. They have been pretty chilly on Cal for a couple years now. Slower than me, but they are more casual than I. I notice some nuances they probably miss.

What's telling is the comments from IU and Purdue fans. It's not the normal friendly haha jabs. It's more like "what the heck is going on?" and "how long can Cal last?". Legit knowledgeable real talk questions. Couple of IU fans even say stuff like, "we've seen how this happens". Almost an empathy about it. It's pretty concerning.

For the first time ever, I’ve seen even the most ardent of cal lovers turn on him and wanting to go a new direction.
Everyone is finally agreeing with what some of us have been saying since 2016. Just a shame we’ve wasted so many years on nothing.

Losing is a problem in itself but losing in the same way over and over is coaching malpractice. At this point if we could just take away the 3 point shot I would be satisfied. Every team we play makes a season high. Hard to win like that.

I do think there is a small section of the fanbase that buys Cals bologna about these players reaching their dream as the goal. It’s mostly just young people who are afraid to go against authority figures, people that think we should all hug after games, people that weren’t alive when players would stay 4 years and loyalty meant something in sports, before it was all about money

These people never have a backbone. They live behind screens.

Thankfully, it’s a small percentage of people. But regardless, we have a dipshit AD that has doomed us so get used to losing

Twitter: against Cal

Facebook: equal to the casual fan that cares more about Cal the humanitarian. But still some vitriol there too.
yea for whatever reason he has a base of support on Facebook.

He still has supporters on twitter but there has definitely been a noticeable tide change in the past week

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Dude, I asked a simple question. If you don't like it, keep on scrolling. Nobody is in the mood for your BS.
It’s as negative as it’s ever been ok. It’s never been more negative. Compared to past negative, this is the most negative.

Those are the cliff notes. You’re welcome.

Twitter: against Cal

Facebook: equal to the casual fan that cares more about Cal the humanitarian. But still some vitriol there too.
Yep Facebook has a few ass kissing only - no Cal bashing pages for circle jerks, probably ran by grad students under Cal's direction, just like the apologists you see pop up here.

Tennessee starts 3 fifth years seniors and the remainder of those who play any meaningful minutes are at least Juniors. Only Awaka was a sophomore and importantly not a single Freshman played. On the other hand we play two fifth year seniors , two sophomores , and the remainder are true Freshman. Almost all of our scoring (with exception of Reeves) comes from our Freshman guards.

The Tennessee model is what we see at UNC and from the recent final four teams. And it is what we will see this year as well. Tennessee is a final four team. Auburn is a final 4 team. Cal's model no longer works.

He could have had more experienced players from the portal but did not want to chase off any diaper dandies like Bradshaw or Edwards or DJ. And yet none of them are really performing to expectations in 2023 and all will be off to the NBA by June. And we will start again with mostly Freshmen and expect a different outcome?

Either Cal must adopt a different philosophy in team construction or he must retire and let someone else take over.

Hard to really gauge from any social media source because those that are tired of Cal are also the loudest. Loud doesn’t mean majority (although I’m damned close to becoming one of the loud ones…).

Edit: please don’t belittle or bemoan that I’m “close” and then whine about why I’m not already there like you have been for “years”. Each to their own.

Hard to really gauge from any social media source because those that are tired of Cal are also the loudest. Loud doesn’t mean majority (although I’m damned close to becoming one of the loud ones…).

Edit: please don’t belittle or bemoan that I’m “close” and then whine about why I’m not already there like you have been for “years”. Each to their own.
giphy.gif

I checked 4Chan and searched "UK suckage." I didn't realize British girls were that skilled.

Ahem...I don't really partake in social media, but my friend and family are either vocally opposing Cal or have drifted away from even talking about the program. This isn't the case for the Stoops and the UK football team, so it's not just people losing interest in sports. As a matter of fact, I talk to people more about the Reds than UK basketball outside of this board.

I know and am connected to many fellow UK fans. As an alum I’ve kept touch with many alumni and season ticket holders. Almost everyone I know is done. They see him as being washed and just snarky with the base. I know many who don’t even watch anymore... people who used to schedule their lives around Cats and don’t even know when they play now. Some of those people had been fans for 50-60 plus years and have given plenty of money to the university.

Sad.

I hear people say that the message boards and Twitter aren’t the true pulse of the fan base but I can’t find anybody that that still has any faith in Cal.

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
I'm curious as to what the climate of BBN is on various platforms, and if they echo the climate here. I don't do FB a ton, and usually try to stay out of comments anyway. Wondering what FB, IG, X, SofB and other UK sites are like.

Can anyone that frequents these give an honest assessment across the once proud nation?
I'll tell you this much. No matter what the team is doing successful or not, FB UK page comment sections are the most toxic thing on earth. That is not a place anyone should go. As far as other platforms ie; twitter, Instagram, ect.. yeah it's as bad as you'd imagine. It's understandable as well.

Went to an old UK message board I was on for years but got tired of it because there's only a handful of people left on there. Not only was I surlrised that board is still going, I was surprised to find that their game thread last night was anti Cal.

Dude has STAUNCH defenders on X and FB. And I mean STAUNCH.

Reactions: SemperFiCat

I honestly think it was until these last 2 games.

As someone with a lot of UK fan connections on Twitter, the tone has changed. The pro-Cal crowd has turned.

There's so much that is indefensible. He was getting a pass because we had a good scoring team. He's shown that's not enough for him. He can't get them to improve modestly on defense. He won't try anything different. We'll lose in the 1st or 2nd round and he'll say he's gonna go home and be with his family.

Cal turns 65 in 6 days. For most lines of work, that's considered retirement age. Cal has that clause that he can move into an administrative/ambassador role for 1 million a year. He needs to take that. Rather than being run out of town, he can help find the next coach. He could help them navigate some of the tougher parts of the job transition. He can still be a beloved guy in Kentucky. He just really needs to step aside this off-season.

I honestly think it was until these last 2 games.

As someone with a lot of UK fan connections on Twitter, the tone has changed. The pro-Cal crowd has turned.

There's so much that is indefensible. He was getting a pass because we had a good scoring team. He's shown that's not enough for him. He can't get them to improve modestly on defense. He won't try anything different. We'll lose in the 1st or 2nd round and he'll say he's gonna go home and be with his family.

Cal turns 65 in 6 days. For most lines of work, that's considered retirement age. Cal has that clause that he can move into an administrative/ambassador role for 1 million a year. He needs to take that. Rather than being run out of town, he can help find the next coach. He could help them navigate some of the tougher parts of the job transition. He can still be a beloved guy in Kentucky. He just really needs to step aside this off-season.
If we fire him he gets 33 million. If he steps down he only gets like 10-15 over course of the ref of his life. Dude is going to cling like a dingleberry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT