Basketball Roster - á là 1980s Topps Baseball Card styles

funKYcat75

All-American
Apr 10, 2008
Free Mash
I’ll try and do a couple per night.

Otega Oweh

IMG_0164.png

Good stuff, own the Bonds and Larkin Tiffany Rookies of the respective designs :)
Have you seen the Arizona Diamondbacks owners collection? He has a room in the stadium that houses his collection in a vault. OMG he has the Gretzky 9 rated Wagner. I watched King of Collectibles on Netflix and he tried to buy it. He went just to get into his good graces because nobody ever gets into his collection and if he sells one he donates it to charity. He offered 30 million for the Wagner but he said it is worth 50 million now at least. He also owns a 9 or 10 Mantle rookie, and almost every other rare card in existence grade 8 or above. The only time he sells is if he finds a better one.

Have you seen the Arizona Diamondbacks owners collection? He has a room in the stadium that houses his collection in a vault. OMG he has the Gretzky 9 rated Wagner. I watched King of Collectibles on Netflix and he tried to buy it. He went just to get into his good graces because nobody ever gets into his collection and if he sells one he donates it to charity. He offered 30 million for the Wagner but he said it is worth 50 million now at least. He also owns a 9 or 10 Mantle rookie, and almost every other rare card in existence grade 8 or above. The only time he sells is if he finds a better one.

Haven't seen that...heck of a collection. I still collect, but not at that level.

Just yesterday picked up Kobe, Eckersley, Eddie Murray, Fisk rookie cards and a 1974 Nolan Ryan for $100 at an antique store in Virginia. None graded but the Kobe and Murray are really sharp.

I know Dmitri Young has the most ridiculous collection ever. There is also some random guy that bought a warehouse of cards in auction and had some of the most iconic cards ever...forget where that was.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Very cool. Born in ‘83 and was collecting baseball cards by the time I was five or six. These bring back memories.
Same. Also born in ’83. It was right in the card craze. Man, I thought those things would be my retirement fund 😂

Same. Also born in ’83. It was right in the card craze. Man, I thought those things would be my retirement fund 😂
I got into it '89/'90 timeframe. That was such a crazy time with the Griffey Jr. craze and Upper Deck getting involved. And the mass overprinting of everything. I had fun just picking a few rookies each year and trying to just buy as many of their key RCs as I could. I don't know what ever happened to my collection. Don't think it did all that well with all the overprinting and my bad picks but I did at least pick Chipper Jones to collect in '91 I think it was so at least got a few of him.

I got back into cards a few years ago with all the Zion hype and started collecting basketball cards but just enjoyed putting together a little sealed collection. It's fun collecting unopened product if you can resist the urge to open.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I got every set from 79 to 88 . Ony 79 an 80 are worth a thing sadly.

I will say 80 and 83 were best look cards in topps from the 80s... . 85 Fleer and 85 an 86 Donruss were solid looking.

.akes me cry having g every card in every major card maker those years n other than a few cards it's basically worthless unless gem mint 9 at least. 😞

Reactions: funKYcat75
I got every set from 79 to 88 . Ony 79 an 80 are worth a thing sadly.

I will say 80 and 83 were best look cards in topps from the 80s... . 85 Fleer and 85 an 86 Donruss were solid looking.

.akes me cry having g every card in every major card maker those years n other than a few cards it's basically worthless unless gem mint 9 at least. 😞
My first full set was a Topps 86 that I found in Irvine while my parents were at Bunt Gross Chevrolet. Some little Sundry shop and they had the box of cards behind the counter. $9.99. Probably barely worth that today, if not less.

My first full set was a Topps 86 that I found in Irvine while my parents were at Bunt Gross Chevrolet. Some little Sundry shop and they had the box of cards behind the counter. $9.99. Probably barely worth that today, if not less.
It broke my heart when I had all these cards from 79 to 89. I literally have everything - the traded, Tiffany, the high gloss sets- you nsme it that decade and 99% shot I got it. I went to a big card store a while back came home an cried like baby.

Yeah 86 isn't worth enough to by the to wipe ass - even with the Clemens rook.

Haven't seen that...heck of a collection. I still collect, but not at that level.

Just yesterday picked up Kobe, Eckersley, Eddie Murray, Fisk rookie cards and a 1974 Nolan Ryan for $100 at an antique store in Virginia. None graded but the Kobe and Murray are really sharp.

I know Dmitri Young has the most ridiculous collection ever. There is also some random guy that bought a warehouse of cards in auction and had some of the most iconic cards ever...forget where that was.
There was another guy on the show that had his entire upstairs of his home with nothing but cards, he had them all labeled into year and manufacturer. The auction house couldn’t believe this guys collection. He had been Collecting every pack he could buy since he was a kid and now wanted to sell so his kids wouldn’t ruin or not know the value of the collection. He had some gems. They didn’t get thru the collection by the time the season ended but estimated just by what they had seen it would be over 10 million. No telling what they will find when they start going thru it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: HagginHall1999
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT