ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball player "oddballs" ; colorful stories to get some WS/baseball flavor up in here.

HymanKaplan

All-American
Aug 14, 2001
I'll start with one of the most enigmatic players that I grew up watching George Hendrick:

Joggin' George/Silent George/Captain Easy/Pants On The Ground (because, for some reason, he didn't want anyone to see his socks, LOL, which started a trend that persists to this day.)

After the final out of the 1982 WS, which the Cardinals won; Hendrick jogged off the field, while his teammates were celebrating, out of the clubhouse, and got straight into a car that he had arranged earlier, and left; w/o even changing out of his uniform. 😆 😆

When he played in HS, sometimes he'd forget his uniform, borrow a jersey and play in jeans. When his team was up, but he didn't anticipate getting an at bat that inning, instead of going back to the dugout, he'd just walk over into foul territory (he played RF), and just lay down and take a nap. 😆

Rube Waddell. He played in the early 1900's. He is a HOF pitcher who had large strikeout totals in an era when hitters didn't strike out much. Bill James suggested he was likely mentally retarded. Opposing fans would bring puppies to games to distract him. He left once during a game to follow a fire truck. In exhibition games, he would call everyone but the catcher off the field and strike out the side. He caught pneumonia and died after helping save the city of Hickman KY fighting a flood.

I'll start with one of the most enigmatic players that I grew up watching George Hendrick:

Joggin' George/Silent George/Captain Easy/Pants On The Ground (because, for some reason, he didn't want anyone to see his socks, LOL, which started a trend that persists to this day.)

After the final out of the 1982 WS, which the Cardinals won; Hendrick jogged off the field, while his teammates were celebrating, out of the clubhouse, and got straight into a car that he had arranged earlier, and left; w/o even changing out of his uniform. 😆 😆

When he played in HS, sometimes he'd forget his uniform, borrow a jersey and play in jeans. When his team was up, but he didn't anticipate getting an at bat that inning, instead of going back to the dugout, he'd just walk over into foul territory (he played RF), and just lay down and take a nap. 😆
That was a fun team. Remember watching those WS games as a 10 year old. The day games at any rate. Would watch them at my dads office.

Never heard that about Hendrick. He was one of my favorites behind Ozzie and Willie.

From the team the previous year, my dad had 9 year old me convinced that Sixto Lezcano did indeed have 6 toes!!

• Haha
Reactions: HymanKaplan
Richie Ashburn once hit a foul ball into the stands that hit a woman in the head They were carrying her off on a stretcher and he hit another foul ball that also struck her. He visited her in the hospital and they became life long friends.

If you want interesting stories and lots of info, get a copy of the 2000 Baseball Abstract by Bill James. For those who don't know, James invented saber metrics as a tool for negotiating the value of his clients with owners. It was for one particular player whose name I forget and his book is not handy at the moment.

Last edited:
While with Reds, Elio Chacon got in the clubhouse dryer & went for a spin.

Pedro Borbon took bites out of Mets' player's hat after/during a brawl in '73. After that, I called him Teeth.

Mark Fidrych got down on his knees before each inning to move the dirt around the rubber to his liking.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
In 1973, Fritz Peterson, and Mike Kekich, who were both pitchers for the Yankees swapped not just wives, but their entire families and homes. Literally just took each others' place.

Reactions: J_Dee
In 1950 a man was shot and killed in the outfield bleachers at The Polo Grounds. Dude was hit in the head by a random bullet fired up into the air by a kid who had found the gun.

They kept playing the game, and people fought for his seat as they carried his body away.

Following a league leading season in BA(.420), Hits, Runs, 3Bs, SBs - HOF George Sisler had his whole following season (and somewhat career) derailed by a season ending…sinus infection.

He still ended his career with a .340 BA, but was never quite the same after his 1922 MVP season.

Reactions: natron20
The only MLB on field caused player death was between the batter (Ray Chapman- Indians of Beaver Dam, KY) and pitcher (Carl Mays-Yankes of Liberty, KY). Two KYians in the tragedy.

Chapman's death led to the birth of modern MLB, since the various subsequent rule changes ended the Dead Ball Era and led to the Live Ball Era -- home runs.

Reggie Jackson's 3 HR game on 3 pitches/swings in game 6 of the 77 WS against the Dodgers is the all time GOAT performance in the WS. To add a little unknown nugget to that, in the prior game he homered in his last at bat in the 8th inning, so he hit 4 home runs on 4 consecutive swings.

This video has the call from Keith Jackson and Howard Cosell....

I had a Don Hoak model glove as a kid, so he became a favorite. Don was a tough guy. He had been a run of the mill pro boxer before deciding baseball was easier. Someone had committed a robbery at a neighbor's house and Don jumped in his car and gave chase. He had a heart attack and died during the chase.

In 1973, Fritz Peterson, and Mike Kekich, who were both pitchers for the Yankees swapped not just wives, but their entire families and homes. Literally just took each others' place.

Was going to bring this one up. My buddies dad played for Yanks when this happened. His mom was friends with the wives and it was more traumatic for them than the players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT