ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball is weird

Big_Blue_1018

Junior
Oct 5, 2014
Baseball is just a weird sport. Louisville is losing to Wright State 10-3 in the bottom of the 9th. Jacksonville is beating Florida 3-1. Alcorn State and Ole Miss are tied at 5.

So it is weird when Louisville loses big to a horizon League team but UK sucks when they lose to a big 12 team.... not necessarily aimed at you, but people need to understand that teams go hot/cold quickly and all the fricken haters on this site need to chill the frick out about a couple weeks of early baseball

So it is weird when Louisville loses big to a horizon League team but UK sucks when they lose to a big 12 team.... not necessarily aimed at you, but people need to understand that teams go hot/cold quickly and all the fricken haters on this site need to chill the frick out about a couple weeks of early baseball

I agree that teams go hot and cold. The negativity on this board about UK is somewhat warranted though if you go by the starting points of each team. I want Kentucky to be successful but I’m not going to pretend that everything is ok with them right now either. I hope that this home stand can start to get them in the right direction.

There is good reason to be majorly concerned about the direction of UK baseball. None to be concerned about with UL baseball, unfortunately.

Come back when UK and U6 meet on the field. Then you'll see why we are complaining.

Come back when UK and U6 meet on the field. Then you'll see why we are complaining.

Or better yet, come back at the end of the year and compare overall records.

Not a news flash that any baseball team can beat any other team in one game. It is the long term season records that counts.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Louisville got killed in one game. Really, they have had a rough first week for the number 1 team in the country losing 3 of their first 4. However, they are still a national championship contender and this despite the fact that, to my understanding (of which there is little of UL baseball), they actually lost two of their top players already due to some injuries. Regardless, UL is coming off their 5th CWS since 2007, and they are primed to make their 6th this year. Under McDonnell, in a fairly strong ACC, they have had 30+ wins every single year, and have only had 1 year where they had under 40.

On the other hand, UK is coming off a season where they won just 26 games and had a losing record, for the first time since 2011. They boasted the third worst ERA in the league while having one of the league's best pitchers, who left to go to the MLB. They had the worst defensive fielding percentage in the league by something like 10 points, and they also hit relatively poorly, but I don't remember where we ranked. UK fans needed to see some major positives coming into 2020 in hopes that things had changed with a team that got more mature. Despite that, the fielding percentage actually got much worse over the first four games, hitting is down, and pitching is still a major worry.

I am as eager as anyone for this team to turn a corner and be great, but I also want to be realistic about where I believe that we are under the current coaching staff... and it looks bleak. If Mingione turns it around I'll be first in line to proudly eat my crow, but as of now, there are major red flags everywhere.

Alot of these smaller teams throw their ace against the midweek P5 teams 4th or 5th rotation guy.

I don't believe that Wright State did this considering that they played Miss. State this past weekend. They went 0-3 against the Bulldogs.

~UCONN beat #9 Michigan 8-7.
~UCF beat #8 Auburn
~UT beat #6 Texas Tech 6-2. UT is going to be very good this year.
~Duke beat Cornell 8-0 but the story of that game was Dukes pitcher threw a perfect game.

~UCONN beat #9 Michigan 8-7.
~UCF beat #8 Auburn
~UT beat #6 Texas Tech 6-2. UT is going to be very good this year.
~Duke beat Cornell 8-0 but the story of that game was Dukes pitcher threw a perfect game.
Puke has had a good team for a few years now and l read somewhere that there facilities are pitiful! Even have portapots instead of indoor facilities. It is ridiculous how far behind UK is with teams they should be as good or better than. Can name at least a dozen probably. BIG untapped fan base there.

Last edited:
We have never had a good baseball program just like we never had a good football team until Stoops. Only SEC team to have never won the conference. That's up against a lot of history. Changing coaches every three years won't help us get there.

Just because people say we should be better does not make it true.

We need to find a formula for building a program and every time you switch coaches you set that effort back. Hell, we may not have absolutely turned the corner in football but we can see his recipie for success at least. Comparing us to Louisville is not really fair as they have built a program and the discussion of how can be had elsewhere. Our door is not open to the same players as theirs at this time. Managing with so few scholarships is difficult and Ming needs time to find the approach. So, if you want to compare us to UL then note that they took a flyer on a young aggressive coach and paid him when he did well. Ming needs time three years ain't enough!

Google Dan McDonnell's record w@u6...1st year made CWS. No comparison and we should/could be as good as U6, IU, Vandy, puke and others.

If it has never happened then we will just say it and make it true.

He capitalized on a weak schedule and a couple of really good pitchers. Then used that success to build a program. He was not in the sec or even in the acc then. So say we should as loud and often as you want but that won't make it a fact.

If it has never happened then we will just say it and make it true.

He capitalized on a weak schedule and a couple of really good pitchers. Then used that success to build a program. He was not in the sec or even in the acc then. So say we should as loud and often as you want but that won't make it a fact.
2018/19 UK WITH NM had more players drafted than ANY team in the country The results of that...NO tournament.

2018/19 UK WITH NM had more players drafted than ANY team in the country The results of that...NO tournament.
He also had injuries and the toughest conference. to keep churning coaches ain't the answer. Foolish to pile expectations on a program that has traditionally been the worst in the conference. That part is a fact. In baseball you have to hit on 8 to 10 players every year and develop a few more to be competitive. It is even harder with the emergence of UL just as it was in football to win enough talent from our state. Also you only get like 7.5 scholarships and compete with the draft where you don't know which team will draft your recruits and offer signing bonuses that they can't pass up, all while being right about JC transfers in terms of their ability. We lost a couple that way that could have helped.

Furthermore, you have to have young guys that are willing to come pay their own way to play here. UL got a bullpen transfer who paid his own way after proving himself an ace at a directional school. They also got a starter who got a resentment at UK over how much they offered.

If it was as easy as just replacing the coach we wouldn't be in this spot. And you have to contend with coaches that don't want to come to a coaching graveyard similar to our football program where proven winners aren't knocking down our door. Maybe because there are historical reasons we don't have a top team.

It's not an easy change and a new stadium is only part of the answer.

God speed to you and y'all can keep bitching about our coach but that only serves to shrink the ship when we need momentum and keep people away from this board. GBB

Reactions: parrott
He also had injuries and the toughest conference. to keep churning coaches ain't the answer. Foolish to pile expectations on a program that has traditionally been the worst in the conference. That part is a fact. In baseball you have to hit on 8 to 10 players every year and develop a few more to be competitive. It is even harder with the emergence of UL just as it was in football to win enough talent from our state. Also you only get like 7.5 scholarships and compete with the draft where you don't know which team will draft your recruits and offer signing bonuses that they can't pass up, all while being right about JC transfers in terms of their ability. We lost a couple that way that could have helped.

Furthermore, you have to have young guys that are willing to come pay their own way to play here. UL got a bullpen transfer who paid his own way after proving himself an ace at a directional school. They also got a starter who got a resentment at UK over how much they offered.

If it was as easy as just replacing the coach we wouldn't be in this spot. And you have to contend with coaches that don't want to come to a coaching graveyard similar to our football program where proven winners aren't knocking down our door. Maybe because there are historical reasons we don't have a top team.

It's not an easy change and a new stadium is only part of the answer.

God speed to you and y'all can keep bitching about our coach but that only serves to shrink the ship when we need momentum and keep people away from this board. GBB
Excuse me, but YOU are the one that keeps coming up with excuses of why we are not competing with teams we should be competing with. Except for Vandy , the teams l mentioned have the same/worse problems building a program that you laid out, BUT they are getting the job done and it didnt take a zillion years to do it.
Look, my buddies and l made the trip from Louisville for every game of the regionals that first year and it was amazing! Sat about 2 hrs in our car for the big rain delay and watched Barnhart wipe down seats. We sang Sweet Carolina at the top of our lungs and that was as good of a fan atmosphere as l've ever been to for a UK sporting event!!
But, since that time nothing about the program has been built upon even with a ton of positive things to recruit with...Look, those of us who are concerned would want nothing more to be wrong and eat crow. You CANNOT have another season like last season and not make a change! As Jo Jo Kemp said...#WHY NOT KENTUCKY!

Last edited:
Every school with the exception of a handful have the save issues when it comes to scholarships and the draft. That’s a ridiculous excuse. I want Minge to be successful but stop fooling yourself in thinking he’s getting the job done. He struck good with the 2017 team abs it’s been a train wreck ever since. Is firing Minge the right answer? I don’t know. He did the right thing by changing up his staff so that in itself buys him another year unless the train completely falls off the rails. And back to UofL for a moment. Louisville made an absolute home run hire with McDonnell. Then they made the appropriate changes in facilities and support. And now they’ve been to 5 CWS. And their history prior to McDonnell is rock bottom compared to Kentucky. They made the right moves. UK is stuck in the mud.

Call them excuses if you want but I would just call it history! UK has never won the SEC! It takes more than changing coaches and we have never found a formula to get unstuck from the mud. It's tiring to continually hear people calling for his head before the first game of the year then continue six games in. Apparently there is something about becoming a top tier team that we haven't found. Blame Minge but looks to me like there may be a "rest of the story."

Call them excuses if you want but I would just call it history! UK has never won the SEC! It takes more than changing coaches and we have never found a formula to get unstuck from the mud. It's tiring to continually hear people calling for his head before the first game of the year then continue six games in. Apparently there is something about becoming a top tier team that we haven't found. Blame Minge but looks to me like there may be a "rest of the story."

Top of the SEC is the ultimate goal. We are no where near that. At this point, we're just not wanting to be in the bottom half as we were last year and how we're likely to be again this year.

How about a sweep, bullpen stepping up and a gritty overall performance today.

Not mad about any of that. It was a decent game and should go a ways towards helping boost confidence. However, it was not without issues. Timely hitting in extras was poor as was defense throughout. 5 errors, at least, this weekend.

On other notes...

Tennessee took all 3 games this weekend against Texas Tech (ranked as high as 1), Houston, and 25th ranked Stanford. They look to be the real deal.

Auburn, ranked 8th, got swept by UCF.

Florida (2) swept Miami (1)

UConn took 3 of 4 against Michigan

South Carolina, also ranked near the bottom of the league, lost 2 of three to Northwestern.

Look, if Minge works out, I’ll gladly eat my crow. But, if 2020 is another year like the last two, how much more damage will be done by keeping a coach who can’t win with his guys compared to bringing in someone else?

On other notes...

Tennessee took all 3 games this weekend against Texas Tech (ranked as high as 1), Houston, and 25th ranked Stanford. They look to be the real deal.

Auburn, ranked 8th, got swept by UCF.

Florida (2) swept Miami (1)

UConn took 3 of 4 against Michigan

South Carolina, also ranked near the bottom of the league, lost 2 of three to Northwestern.

Tennessee looks to be the real deal. It’ll be interesting to see how they do once conference play starts, but right now they are rolling.

Congrats doomed before they start farrrr Minge lol y'all would would complain they put the fire out with dirty water. It's ok I'll find another way to celebrate UK baseball than this forum! Y'all can have it back!

Congrats doomed before they start farrrr Minge lol y'all would would complain they put the fire out with dirty water. It's ok I'll find another way to celebrate UK baseball than this forum! Y'all can have it back!
Whatever...went by there yesterday after women's bb game to cheer them on. You seem to think we all want them to fail, but some can't objectively look at the situation. Schedule is set to have a nice little run here, we'll see when the rubber meets the road.

Reactions: MAYHOO22
We will learn a lot this week. Tennessee Tech and UNC Wilmington have been NCAA tournament teams recently. Not sure how good they are this season, but they have a history of some success. Need to win out this week as well.

Cats won regular season SEC in 2006.

Cats won regular season SEC in 2006.
History is great for nostalgia, but has/should have no bearing on the future of the program...Kentucky/Louisville / Central Ky produces some really good bb players. Dan McDonnell has tapped into that and evidently is a very good developer of talent. Harness that and you've taken a big step. Beautiful new stadium and a fan base that would fill the place up along with surrounding programs with the same "excuses" being highly successful (all in CWS) eliminates all excuses... the future is now and the past should play no part in it...#WHY NOT KENTUCKY

Reactions: Oldtrainer
Well you said it so it must have more credibility than history.

My point is not that it can't be done but to build a national contender is a tough job and deserves a little patience. Not giving a coach time to make dramatic change is really only bad for a building program. Had we done that in FB we wouldn't be on the verge of taking the next step.

DM didn't do it in the SEC or even in the ACC so it is not comparable. His early teams would not have had the same success in the SEC and they may not have made the jump to where they are today. In addition their success provides another obstacle to our formadible challenge.

My broader point is really the negative tone of our "fan base". You have a right to think and say what you want but imo only serves to turn other fans off and hurt the program. I'm behind our coach and want him to have a fair chance.

History is a good predictor of the future!

By DM doing what he's done not being in a conference like the SEC with NOTHING to recruit to makes it an even more amazing feat...but keep on bemoaning UK's history and with the wo is us mentality!

I'm not the one In here with the wo is us mentality. I came here to say let's stop with our coach sucks talk and we are dead this year. I agree that DM has done an amazing job he is top tier coach but our formula is much different and much more difficult. History agrees with me. Nice win today but I'm sure we will hear others moaning.

I'm not the one In here with the wo is us mentality. I came here to say let's stop with our coach sucks talk and we are dead this year. I agree that DM has done an amazing job he is top tier coach but our formula is much different and much more difficult. History agrees with me. Nice win today but I'm sure we will hear others moaning.

You say you want Minge to have a fair chance? Fine I’ll give you that. And that’s a fair point. But he is trending downwards since he came here. That is just a fact. Going from a super regional, to first round exit in the SEC tournament to missing both tournaments last year doesn’t give off a lot of confidence. It’s still too early to tell what the season will play out. And winning 5 straight is a good thing. But I still see a team that struggles defensively, a pitching staff that is Jekyll and Hyde, and a team that is lacking leadership. I hope these things can be fixed by the time SEC rolls around, but I’m cautiously optimistic.

Question please...IF this team finishes last in the SEC as predicated and the season record is similar to last season ...so you would be in favor of going forward with the status quo? Need to remember that NM took over this program with some very good talent especially pitching. All for supporting the team, and l will, but you cannot bury your head in the sand and not be concerned. It is a long season, but this is season 4 and things shouldn't be as big a ? mark as they are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT