ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball dad thread

My kid has pitched in 8 of our 10 games so far (guess he’s simply gonna be a reliever this year 🤷‍♂️).

He sitting at 9 and 1/3 inning with his ERA at a whopping 0.00.

If we count the 2 intra squad scrimmages and the 2 real scrimmages, he’s gone 19 and 1/3 innings with a 0.00ERA.

Really wish they’d give him a start.

Reactions: Kingseve1
My kid has pitched in 8 of our 10 games so far (guess he’s simply gonna be a reliever this year 🤷‍♂️).

He sitting at 9 and 1/3 inning with his ERA at a whopping 0.00.

If we count the 2 intra squad scrimmages and the 2 real scrimmages, he’s gone 19 and 1/3 innings with a 0.00ERA.

Really wish they’d give him a start.
That’s 🔥🔥🔥🔥. Love watching my boys pitch well

Reactions: cat_chaser

discovered this drill today with the heavy balls straddling front foot. You dig?
One thing that really helped my son was the Blast device. I think it motivated him to see the metrics. I have attached a link to John Mallee’s absolutes of hitting. While he may have fallen out of grace, these fundamentals are there in the swings of elite hitters. I can give you the background of why I am a big fan of this if you want just message me. Mallee and the blast came from my sons hitting coach who worked in the Marlins and Brewers organizations. When he tells kids he has worked with Stanton and Yellich, they listen. So many coaches are simply looking at these metrics that the Blast measures.

There are drills with the blast but also a lot on YouTube.

My son spent hours grooving his swing. 500-600 cuts a week for 8 years. I have attached a link to a side view a school reporter took of a HR he hit last year. This swing got him recruited by the coach he is going to play for next year. Went about 400 feet for a 5’10” 145 lb kid. Best I have ever seen him do.

discovered this drill today with the heavy balls straddling front foot. You dig?
The hands at impact look awesome - gets to a great spot and looks nice! I dig anything that adds in a bit different feel and fun - we used to have a station hitting a punching bag with a wooden bat in weight lifting/conditioning that I loved.

only 2 things I would worry about are those hands moving so much and so dramatically fast on load and his weight sitting on his back leg to impact…more squash the bug than forward explosion to contact - and you want the forward explosion, not the squash rotational force.

Your guy loves it though - and that’s freakin awesome, you can tell.

Coach pitch has started for us - I will need to scheme and pull off some miracles. Have to find a 1b….yikes!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingseve1
We mix in a kick ball on the tee occasionally and some cheap plastic balls because he can break them.
Scooped up some Swax balls off amazon for defense...same size and weight of a baseball, but feels padded. Hope to use them to help learn to catch - know some have said they've taken hits to the chin and are a bit scared now.

I think you can hit the Swax too - but they dont go as far...could be a decent way to challenge kids hitting too....see how far you hit the swax

The hands at impact look awesome - gets to a great spot and looks nice! I dig anything that adds in a bit different feel and fun - we used to have a station hitting a punching bag with a wooden bat in weight lifting/conditioning that I loved.

only 2 things I would worry about are those hands moving so much and so dramatically fast on load and his weight sitting on his back leg to impact…more squash the bug than forward explosion to contact - and you want the forward explosion, not the squash rotational force.

Your guy loves it though - and that’s freakin awesome, you can tell.

Coach pitch has started for us - I will need to scheme and pull off some miracles. Have to find a 1b….yikes!
Huge thanks! He one of those that shines once a month, and then retreats. He’s strong but a little goofy.

you mentioned weight forward vs squashing bug. What is your take on coming forward too much, in what I call a lunging type action.? How do you prevent a lunge?

good luck with the hunt for a first baseman. Reminds me, I have been showing Adam laroches kid houses. Adam played 1b for the Braves.

I taught my other son, to catch while winging tennis balls at him. Only took him a day or 2 and he was much improved and started to catch balls in front of his face without flinching

Last edited:
Scooped up some Swax balls off amazon for defense...same size and weight of a baseball, but feels padded. Hope to use them to help learn to catch - know some have said they've taken hits to the chin and are a bit scared now.

I think you can hit the Swax too - but they dont go as far...could be a decent way to challenge kids hitting too....see how far you hit the swax
I started with the softer balls but switched pretty quick and never let him catch underhanded. Just a few hours of close throws until he was confident catching correctly. A few off the noggin actually taught him to turn that glove over quicker and he's no longer scared of the ball. We also will do buckets of rapid fire no glove soft toss catches.

My boys been pitching well, but won’t swing at the plate like he does in the cage or driveway

In a game at the plate, he early extends his back, so he gets taller as he’s supposed to be loading

My 14 year old still sitting at 0.00 ERA through 15 varsity innings. 2-0 with 3 saves.

Finally got some at bats (freshman game) and went 3-4 with 4 RBI’s (one 2 run double deep to center).

Love being at the ball field. But this weather can get pumped. Has to be one of the coldest April’s of all time.

One thing that will help kids with their swing is to pass a baseball barehanded with them for 10-15 minutes before the practice kicks in. Kids will develop calluses on palms and they will have a much better bat grip and swing. Another tip for kids in the outfield is when a fly ball is hit .....say "one hundred"....then break on the ball. This second gives the brain a better chance for kids to judge where the ball is going. After a while it will get easier, but Joltin' Joe Dimaggio did it throughout his career.

Reactions: Joey Rupption

- Thanks for mentioning these, I just picked some up. It sounds bad, but I started out basically throwing at my son’s face to teach him to catch with a safety ball. But, I’d like to throw harder with one of these.

My son’s going to play with the Y again this summer. (I didn't think about registering him for Spring Knothole until it was too late) then hopefully he’ll join Knothole for Fall Ball.

- NKYians: Are there any good batting cages in NKY for 7 year olds? I saw there was a big baseball training center in Covington and a smaller one in Wilder, but I wasn’t sure if they’d have stuff for his speed (pun intended).

- Just ordered a new glove for myself. Fun summer ahead.

Been a weird season so far. Not much practice. Little man has been struggling a bit at the plate, some unlucky, some habits he picking up from the older kids on the team. His fielding has taking a huge leap though. I'm sure the bat will catch back up because he's putting the time in.

We just started with the youth soft baseballs. Once he became competent I absolutely threw at his head and chest. IMO, that's protection more than cruel. Now we use the different sklz balls for batting in our small back yard or hand drills in the house.

I bought myself a badass Rawlings glove once he started. Got one with "pop pop" inscribed for Dad as well.

Last edited:
I played all through high school. My f'ing high school coach thought the best hit was a hard ground ball to the second baseman. Seriously, 80% of cage work was about waiting until the ball got partly through the plate and hitting it the other way. His son made the minors too. But no telling how much better he would have been had his dad not effed up his swing. The 90's were all about teaching hitting "the right way" which was proven to be nonsense through analytics.

In terms of the best thing for your kid to do; once he has the fundamentals down I'd say throwing a ball against a wall and fielding it. And as previously stated - a big wall where he can throw it at different angles. I used to do that for hours and hours as a kid - and my fielding was really good.

On the other hand, when we played baseball in the neighborhood which was like everyday in the summer, we often used a tennis racket and tennis ball so we could always hit bombs. I look back at that and wonder what the hell was I thinking.

Coaching my son's coach pitch team this year. I was an assistant his two years in teeball but wanted to make the jump to coach a team when he got to coach pitch. He just turned 7. Our coach pitch league is 6-8 year olds. I've got 2-3 kids that can decently catch the ball out of the 12 on my roster. Any tips for helping develop catching? I know my one hour practices twice a week aren't going to develop them much. I have an 8 year old who is really good and planning on putting him at SS because he has the best arm by far and can field really well. Still looking for a kid for 1B that can catch. If you have a SS, 1B and good fielder for the pitcher's mound, you have a solid infield.

Coaching my son's coach pitch team this year. I was an assistant his two years in teeball but wanted to make the jump to coach a team when he got to coach pitch. He just turned 7. Our coach pitch league is 6-8 year olds. I've got 2-3 kids that can decently catch the ball out of the 12 on my roster. Any tips for helping develop catching? I know my one hour practices twice a week aren't going to develop them much. I have an 8 year old who is really good and planning on putting him at SS because he has the best arm by far and can field really well. Still looking for a kid for 1B that can catch. If you have a SS, 1B and good fielder for the pitcher's mound, you have a solid infield.
Bump.... my son is 6. Can't catch for shit with a glove. Would be fine if it were 1860 and they played with just their bare hands.

Bump.... my son is 6. Can't catch for shit with a glove. Would be fine if it were 1860 and they played with just their bare hands.
They can field ground balls just fine, at least most of them can. I'd say I have 8-10 of the 12 that could play infield. Half of those can make a decent throw from SS/3B to 1B. 2 of those can make a good throw. None of them are standing out as a 1B that can catch though lol.

I'm dealing with the same thing with my tee-ball team, which is 5 and 6 in our league. I've gotten to the point where I've essentially stopped working on catching and some of the basic fundamentals (and moved on to hitting, baserunning, and what to do when fielding a ball in the infield or outfield), because one hour once or twice a week with twelve kids just isn't enough time. I'm in a similar situation where I have three very solid fielders and then 8 others who are new to the game. That said, I'm fortunate that they are all good kids and listen well for kids that age.

Speaking for my kid, his catching has come a long way in the last year, and especially the last couple months, but it's really just been about reps. I bet I've thrown a thousand balls to him in the last month. We usually start out close together and I tell him where the ball is going (low, backhand, forehand, overhead), just to get his glove loose and to get his confidence up. We used to do a lot of barehand but have gotten past that now. Then we just play catch. I wondered for a while if he was ever going to pick it up, but has really clicked as of late, just based on reps. We used the SWAX balls a lot and have only moved over to real baseball full time in the last few weeks.

If those kids are going to learn to catch, it's going to have to be at home, IMO.

I'm dealing with the same thing with my tee-ball team, which is 5 and 6 in our league. I've gotten to the point where I've essentially stopped working on catching and some of the basic fundamentals (and moved on to hitting, baserunning, and what to do when fielding a ball in the infield or outfield), because one hour once or twice a week with twelve kids just isn't enough time. I'm in a similar situation where I have three very solid fielders and then 8 others who are new to the game. That said, I'm fortunate that they are all good kids and listen well for kids that age.

Speaking for my kid, his catching has come a long way in the last year, and especially the last couple months, but it's really just been about reps. I bet I've thrown a thousand balls to him in the last month. We usually start out close together and I tell him where the ball is going (low, backhand, forehand, overhead), just to get his glove loose and to get his confidence up. We used to do a lot of barehand but have gotten past that now. Then we just play catch. I wondered for a while if he was ever going to pick it up, but has really clicked as of late, just based on reps. We used the SWAX balls a lot and have only moved over to real baseball full time in the last few weeks.

If those kids are going to learn to catch, it's going to have to be at home, IMO.

Yeah, I would definitely have to agree that learning to catch is going to have to happen at home. There's no feasible way for me to train these kids to catch with my limited practice time as well as teach them all the other aspects of the game to put a cohesive team on the field. I haven't head of the SWAX balls, I'll check them out. I think a lot of it has to do with hand-eye coordinator development. It seems that aspect doesn't click until somewhere between 6-8 years old and it's different for every kid, obviously. Just having to make the most of what I got, I suppose.

Another thing that got mine started catching better was finding my old little league glove that felt like a dish rag. He couldn't catch at all with his little stiff Rawlings, but loved that old worn out glove of mine because it was so easy to close. We've since moved on to a newer glove (this one, which is admittedly absurd for a six year old but I'm an equipment nerd) and the mechanics from the old dish rag glove carried over.

• Wow
Reactions: anthonys735
Small well broken in glove is key. So many of our kids use gloves that aren't really broken in and way too big for them to squeeze. But I'm sure as HC you're realizing you don't have near the practice time to develop that skill with the kids. If they can't catch they probably don't know much strategy and only loose grip on the rules. That's likely where your attention should be. You need to give the parents some home work, buy a dozen soft tee balls, and tell them to work on catching the ball. Create a corny game out of it. We make a new game up in the back yard almost weekly to keep interest. Right now I have him stand about 5' away and he has no idea where the ball is going, pop up, grounder, line drive, forward, side, back. We keep score, if he misses I get a point, catch he gets a point. I try to let him come up with the games.

For us, I never let him start with the basket catch. I started at 2-3' basically throwing it into his glove. Until he gradually got more confident. Like most kids he always wants pop ups. So our deal was he got them if he properly fielded it. If he didn't he got ground balls for a few rounds. 2-3' feet turned to 10' in no time. Then we were having a proper catch in a couple weeks.

He's 6, nearly 7, and has been catching solid fly balls and line drives for about a year.

*** looks like they beat me to it. We use bare hand all the time. Because he should be getting both hands up there and we can do it even on rainy days sitting around the living room. Just don't let him turn his hands over.

Last edited:
Reactions: H-D cat
Another thing that got mine started catching better was finding my old little league glove that felt like a dish rag. He couldn't catch at all with his little stiff Rawlings, but loved that old worn out glove of mine because it was so easy to close. We've since moved on to a newer glove (this one, which is admittedly absurd for a six year old but I'm an equipment nerd) and the mechanics from the old dish rag glove carried over.
I literally just done this last week. I bought him a new Rawlings glove, he hated it, I gave him my glove from 20 years ago and he loves it.

I bought him the Rawlings R9 11.5" for his birthday last summer and I still feel like it's really big, tbh. So we've stuck with his 10" cheapo Mizzuno.
I bought mine that exact glove but soon realized it was too heavy and bulky for him (he's fairly tall but a beanpole), so I ended up going with the 10.5 Nokona. It's been perfect. I decided to just keep the 11.5 R9 for myself and snagged this one for him for the future. We've been slowly breaking it in and honestly he could probably use that one now if I hadn't dished out the money for the 10.5. It's like butter and much less bulky than the R9. The Nokonas have been nearly impossible to find unless you custom order, which gets into really crazy money.

The quickest success I’ve had with my kid, is throwing a tennis ball at him and making him catch with his glove in front of his face. Once he learned to do that catching became easy. I think it was because he was no longer scared and trusted his glove to work

Reactions: cat_chaser
May or may not have just ordered one. 🤪

👊 The Nokonas are just stupid nice. We've tried all the top level Wilson, Rawlings, Mizunos, etc. and nothing compares, in my opinion. Plus, they are the last one that I know of making gloves in the USA.

My dad bought me a Nokona glove when I was in Little League. It's the one I just passed down to my son. It's not in the best shape but he loves it.

The "sure catch" gloves have a little more ease of use as well. They have a crease carved out near the heel of the glove which allows a little bend.

I agree with the others - catching really needs to be done at home to get it figured out. Reps, reps, reps...prefer closer range than far, so that you can be more accurate with the toss. Start on one side of body, knock that out...switch sides...then random.

Did a drill with my team - they lay on their backs, glove fingers up...drop them the ball so they catch with the glove up. After a few, tell them youre going to drop it over their face, so they better move that glove and catch it when it drops. Has worked well - removes bad throw potential, removes foot work, removes their ability to move out of the way.

Get you kid a good glove. Not a softball glove. It is the eye hand coordination that makes satch, not the size of the glove. Oil the glove, help him break it in, and when he is finished using it have him keep a ball in the pocket. You can buy oils for leather, but you can even use Murphy's oil from mom's utility supplies. But play catch with him often so the glove breaks in. And don't let the thumb section bend into the center of the glove....he needs a pocket with room. Heck....have sleep with his glove. Tell him he and his glove are going to make so many catches they have to take care of each other! If he sleeps with it, tell him the ball stays in the pocket.

These caught my eye for the kid look but decent size and price, although never used an SSK. Used TPX or Rawlings PP.

Sure catch as mentioned in prior post - seem popular with my teams. One kid has a sweet all blue one:

Cleats have been freaking hard to come by - but damn are they sweet now.

Wanted the blue Trouts, but ended with the clean white and gold Harpers.

force-trout-7-pro-mcs-mens-baseball-cleats-Thr1gM.png

Last edited:
11.5" is still just huge on his hand. I think he'll be on this 10.5 for at least 2-3 years.

We ended up with the Black and White Trout's because, like you said, nothing was available.

Went with the 27" Marucci Connect -11. Honestly, not a big fan. Do love the USA Lizard Skins tape though.

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
You can get several ideas on breaking in a glove with an internet search. Bryce Harper uses a bucket of water, glove submerged, baseballs in the pocket with glove tied into shape and leather conditioner. Some say no to that. I used to do something similar to Harper and my glove was like a piece of rag. I loved it that way. I'm not recommending anyone else to try it without good research. Again, some say no way, but I loved what it did for my glove.

Yeah - if it’s a legit glove and 11.5, I’d imagine they are big. You kind of have to get the kiddie versions (not to be confused for the plastic versions) for them to fit.

Kinda sucks - you want to get legit gear, but it’s tough to find the fit at this age.

Mine has settled in with this bat - 26in
2020-louisville-slugger-prime-usa-balanced-tee-ball-bat-12-5oz-wtlubp9t125-9.png

Guy I coach with - his son just got the 27 marucci, think it was -10 though. Hasn’t hit with it yet bc it was muddy….lmao

The big barrels for 5-6-7 year olds cracks me up. I’m not against it, but it’s funny. If mine wants one, I’d get it. Took us till about age 13 to work those in.

Have this one waiting on deck:

fb92-12-21-louisville-slugger-solo-619--11-usa-baseball-bat--wtlubs619b11-30461-2_m.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT