ADVERTISEMENT

Barnhart prioritizing Drew over Donovan per Matt Jones

The timing may dictate the order. Donovan not available to sign and start recruiting until the end of next week at the earliest (unless he quit on the Bulls just before the play-in round which would be totally unprofessional). If Bulls win the play-in game, thats another week delay. Win that series, and it’s May before he could sign and start recruiting. By May, portal players have committed and many are moving onto their new campus. That leaves him cleaning up portal scraps to field a team when he hasn’t been in college recruiting in 10 years.

Drew has the #3 recruiting class which he likely brings with him plus a chance to comb the portal with one of the big name brands having immediate playing time available. That provides an opportunity to be instantly competitive next year.

Drew ahead of Donovan doesn’t necessarily mean MB thinks Drew is a better coach than Donovan. It might just mean that the timing is more of a factor.
So if Drew comes with all that we should expect an elite 8 for sure.We will see.

I also hope I’m wrong, but short that one single year of his career, no one on this forum would even consider him for this job. None of the rest of his coaching record justifies the hire, and he’s been coaching college basketball for a quarter century already. At Baylor nearly half of his seasons his team finished .500 or worse in conference. He should not be one of our top choices and Mitch knows that, but he’s playing favorites for personal reasons.
Yeah he's had 15 seasons at Baylor with double digit losses.

Drew is exactly what everyone has been saying they wanted, good coach, excellent recruiter, doesn't rely on one-and-done but will take one here and there.
How many times has he been conference champions in the big 12? Where has his teams ranked in the big 12? How many losses has his team had each of the last 2 years? How many times has he been to the 2nd weekend of NCAA tourn the last 3years? Answer these questions and see how he stacks up because that is what you get from him in the sec if he is hired. Happy with Drew now?

Some of you guys must just love to be told "no" or something. Donovan had TWO chances to say "yes" to UK and passed both times. Do you guys want to beg him to come here and then he still say "no"? Use your brains people. Donovan has NEVER had to deal with NIL, the portal and would bring no players with him. NONE. That means you can just about guarantee that UK wouldn't be in any post season tourney next year.

Where is all the hate for Drew coming from? Calipari only had a couple of FF's before coming to UK. Missed several tournaments and was basically just a big personality. And if Drew takes the job and wins just ONE NCAA tournament game next year he will have equaled Calipari's NCAA-T record over the last 4 years.
As a UK fan first, I will be cheering for whoever gets the job and most importantly for the program to succeed. Some of you guys need to step down from the ledge.
Well said

How many times has he been conference champions in the big 12? Where has his teams ranked in the big 12? How many losses has his team had each of the last 2 years? How many times has he been to the 2nd weekend of NCAA tourn the last 3years? Answer these questions and see how he stacks up because that is what you get from him in the sec if he is hired. Happy with Drew now?
Exactly.I didn't give Cal a pass for his shitty seasons so why do it for another coach?

So if i'm reading this right Hurley gave us a flat no and then we moved on to Drew. That would make sense.
I still believe you ask Hurley what it takes and get as close as you can to meeting it. If he’s dead set on nothing that can pry him away then you go after Oats, and even a Tommy Lloyd in my opinion. Someone young who’s just getting started. Don’t commit to Drew just because. I will say that Drew did recruit Jayden Quaintance so he may stay here, Reed could be consulted to see what he thinks if he wants to return, we may snag VJ Edgecomb since we recruited him too. He’s got a couple other 5 stars committed and maybe brings a couple of his best Baylor guys with him? That’s something to consider for next year.

Im sure he could do it but it would likely cost him a lot of money to break his contract and do so.
If the Bulls will move on from him anyway, which reports say their star players would like after this year then they could give him permission to leave and let an assistant run it thru the play in game.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
I just think Billy Donovan has been out of the game a little too long. That's gonna take time to come back from.
That is a legit concern, I’d love him but I don’t know if he would do well in this era. I still have no idea why Mitch isn’t reportedly going after guys like Oats, Lloyd, Otzelburger. All young guys with decent success very early in their careers.

Reactions: FrankUnderwoodX
That is a legit concern, I’d love him but I don’t know if he would do well in this era. I still have no idea why Mitch isn’t reportedly going after guys like Oats, Lloyd, Otzelburger. All young guys with decent success very early in their careers.
Because they aren't a good buddy like Drew.

Reactions: Fox2monk
They were Big 12 champs in 2021, co-champs with KU in 2022, and National Champs in 2021. That's in the last 4 seasons.

Reactions: FrankUnderwoodX
So if Drew comes with all that we should expect an elite 8 for sure.We will see.
Right now, we essentially have 0 players for next year.

If you wait on Donovan, especially if the Bulls go to May, there is a very real possibility that the players then available may not be good enough to get into the tournament at all.

Drew gives you a very real possibility of having 3 or so top 30 freshman and 3-5 of the better players in the portal. That would be enough talent to field a team that could make an Elite 8.

Right now, we essentially have 0 players for next year.

If you wait on Donovan, especially if the Bulls go to May, there is a very real possibility that the players then available may not be good enough to get into the tournament at all.

Drew gives you a very real possibility of having 3 or so top 30 freshman and 3-5 of the better players in the portal. That would be enough talent to field a team that could make an Elite 8.
Shocking how many people on here do not understand this basic fact of the matter. Even if we get Donovan, which is highly unlikely, it would be one year of "Pitinos Bombinos" (at best, those guys were the best 14-14 team ever) before we could really make a run at anything.

Reactions: sefus12 and catben
I knew I shouldn't have told Cornbread Milk why I thought maybe Sheppard would bond with Drew! I get that you think it's dumb, I mean I agree it's not my brightest thought, but I've been on Rupp Rafters for 15 years and have read some pretty stupid things. To say that's the dumbest thing ever posted here would be a bit of a stretch! lol
Fair enough. There have been tons of stupider stuff posted, but can we both agree that it was stupid?

Could Donovan not just say peace out and the Bulls have an interim? I know it’s not ideal but that’s just how this stuff goes
That’s literally never happened before so no, that’s not how this stuff goes.

Drew now or Billy D later. I am fine with either. I feel both are capable.

Drew will bring a lot of the #3 recruiting class with him and can get in now and hit portal. It would be interesting to see what he could do with UKs brand.

Donovan basically would have a rebuild year since he would be late but I like his style so it be might be worth a down year but that could cost you momentum. No telling who you might get late and who would stick around.

All the people upset over the rejection years ago do not take it personally and things change.

Is he though? I’m truly asking.

Yes he won back to back but that was lightning in a bottle with Noah and that insane class coming back.
Where did this narrative I'm seeing come from that Donovan "caught lightning in a bottle" or "had one great recruiting class?" Donovan went to 4 Final Fours (out of Florida's 5 total), 7 Elite 8s (out of Florida's 9 total), 8 sweet 16s (out of Florida's 11 total). He won 6 SEC titles (out of Florida's 7 total) and 4 SEC tournament titles (the only 4 Florida has). Florida had only made the tournament 5 times before Donovan, they were a nothing program (yes they had 1 FF in the early 90s but quickly collapsed back to sub-.500).

There are other reasons you might give to not have him high on your list - the two times he said no, his time away from college and recruiting, his age (he'd be 59 at the start of next season, I'd prefer someone younger with more years ahead of them). But I'd definitely be happy if he were our coach. He took a nonexistent basketball program and for a decade and a half had them as a contender year in and year out.

I still believe you ask Hurley what it takes and get as close as you can to meeting it. If he’s dead set on nothing that can pry him away then you go after Oats, and even a Tommy Lloyd in my opinion. Someone young who’s just getting started. Don’t commit to Drew just because. I will say that Drew did recruit Jayden Quaintance so he may stay here, Reed could be consulted to see what he thinks if he wants to return, we may snag VJ Edgecomb since we recruited him too. He’s got a couple other 5 stars committed and maybe brings a couple of his best Baylor guys with him? That’s something to consider for next year.
This is a thought I had. If Quaintance would stay along with a few recruits from Baylor. Add Sheppard and you could possibly keep Theiro/Z. Would it be worse the risk on waiting on a coach like Donovan?

Reactions: Fox2monk
IMO Drew could do what Brooks is doing for the Women’s program as far as putting a competitive team together very quickly. The question is whether UK fans are willing to suffer 1 or 2 really down years (possibly be one of the worst in the SEC) and wait for Donovan to put a real team together and maybe reach heights that Drew wouldn’t? Is it right now or 3 years down the road that the fans want?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT