ADVERTISEMENT

Band of Brothers

Lt. Speirs on of the best characters ever created (recreated) on film. Scene towards the end of the series when interrogating the German who killed their fellow trooper. Speirs suddenly trains his 1911 on the kraut and the enlisted all take a step back. Only the viewers know what the enlisted don't. But who was not stunned by what he didn't do next? Great theatre.

A few errors in the show:
Blythe (the guy who lost his sight) didn't die, he lived a full life

At the end when Winters told the German officer he could keep his side arm upon surrender, he actually accepted it. The actual story is cooler tho. Upon accepting the weapon he realized it had never been fired...and winters kept it his whole life never firing it.

Lots of big name actors in this show getting early starts. I think Tom hardy is in it for like 5 minutes

Lt. Speirs on of the best characters ever created (recreated) on film. Scene towards the end of the series when interrogating the German who killed their fellow trooper. Speirs suddenly trains his 1911 on the kraut and the enlisted all take a step back. Only the viewers know what the enlisted don't. But who was not stunned by what he didn't do next? Great theatre.
Isn’t that the scene where speirs pistol whips the bloody prisoner, who is not a german but a gi replacement troop who was drunk and killed one of e co men?
I’ve probably watched that series five times at least. i have the full dvd set.
For two or three years tnt (i think) would televise it on memorial day weekend.

A few errors in the show:
Blythe (the guy who lost his sight) didn't die, he lived a full life

At the end when Winters told the German officer he could keep his side arm upon surrender, he actually accepted it. The actual story is cooler tho. Upon accepting the weapon he realized it had never been fired...and winters kept it his whole life never firing it.

Lots of big name actors in this show getting early starts. I think Tom hardy is in it for like 5 minutes
At the end of that episode where was Blythe was wounded, I thought the narrative trailer at the end said he died of the his wounds in 1948(?)

My grandfather grew up in the great depression and was a tail gunner on a B29 in WW2. That generation puts every subsequent generation to shame. I wish more people had learned lessons from the old timers about how to work together during hard times. We're a selfish, foolish country now.

My grandfather grew up in the great depression and was a tail gunner on a B29 in WW2. That generation puts every subsequent generation to shame. I wish more people had learned lessons from the old timers about how to work together during hard times. We're a selfish, foolish country now.
I've read some of their memoirs and the depression was a big influence. They talked about their neighbors as if they were family. One's father was a prison guard who went to work every day, despite rarely getting paid, because he was needed. One described his neighborhood as working poor with only one person owning a car, and they used it to drive others to work. He also said he remembered eating better because the guy next door found work and helped his family. For me, that clarified the interview about joining the war effort where Powers answered "that's just what you do".

Reactions: chroix
Isn’t that the scene where speirs pistol whips the bloody prisoner, who is not a german but a gi replacement troop who was drunk and killed one of e co men?
I’ve probably watched that series five times at least. i have the full dvd set.
For two or three years tnt (i think) would televise it on memorial day weekend.
Good correction. Thanks for pointing that out. Scene was even more horrifying for that reason. Been a few years since I watched it. Digging my boxed set out tonight.

The Bastogne episodes are the most painful to watch. I don't mention my service very often. Lucky peace time years. Good times. But in those days, when we did PT on Ardennes street, every morning was meant as some brutal honor to the men who fought in that frozen forest. Young troopers were made to know they had to re-earn their wings each day. It was hard some. But those times were good. Miss them.

Reactions: ukchamps_98
I can tell you right now that there is no way I could handle being in a foxhole that is getting shelled. I'd rather storm Omaha beach than deal with a night of just hoping a bomb isn't going to fall on my head. Frankly, I'd be best suited for doing aerial dog fights than any other combat operation. Give me some level of control of my fate.

There were a few stories of paratroopers killing POWs on D-day that the Speirs story was somewhat based on. It was D-day and they were trying to link.up to the beaches, where were you going to put prisoners?

Reactions: blubo
There were a few stories of paratroopers killing POWs on D-day that the Speirs story was somewhat based on. It was D-day and they were trying to link.up to the beaches, where were you going to put prisoners?
In bob there was a scene of an officer shooting a german as he was running away. troops were under orders to “give no quarter,” which means no mercy, kill the enemy.

But don’t you have to pay for it even if you have prime subscription?

Both Band of Brothers and The Pacific was included in Prime as recently as a month or so ago because I re-watched Band of Brothers when the quarantine started. It looks like you have to have a HBO subscription now though.

Reactions: blubo
Been about two years since I watched both series. Absolutely incredible, and certainly poignant during Memorial Day. I cant fathom what the guys who fought in WW2 went through. Absolute pure hell Im sure. God bless them that we are able to be here today and remember them on Memorial Day for laying their lives down.

I’ve rewatched both several times.

My maternal grandpa went to UC for engineering on an ROTC scholarship and shipped out to Europe to build airfields, clear minefields, and rebuild Italian infrastructure. He was an amateur photographer and we have amazing albums of his photos of the European theater, downed planes, hanging with the guys, ancient monuments

My paternal grandfather was a Marine sniper in the Pacific and fought in Gaudalacanal and Okinawa. He took part in the Easter Sunday offensive on Okinawa in 1945 and from that day forward he always said he was supposed to die on Easter Sunday. If you watch “The Pacific” you’ll understand why. He died on Easter Sunday, 1986.

When my uncle decided to quit high school and join the Marines just after Korea, my grandpa punched him out and refused to sign the papers, so he had to wait until he was 18.

He only talked about the war when drinking, and at times he complained about having to carry around a heavy machine for his scope to see in the dark. It always seemed like BS that he was using night vision in 1945. A few years ago, my dad was watching a show on military tech and it mentioned that some WWII marine snipers in the Pacific tested an early version of night vision. Story checked out.

Best World War 2 content ever filmed, IMO. Can't ever get through The Breaking Point when Buck finds Bill and Joe on the ground, the concentration camp scene in Why We Fight, or the baseball scene at the end of Points without crying.

With a long Memorial Day holiday weekend coming up it looks like a good time to re-watch Band of Brothers in between decorating at the cemetery and some golf.
Yep set my dvr for them tomorrow, I always watch when they put it on. Never gets old, and thanks guys for any of you that had the honor to serve and protect whats right in a time where things still mattered and the world 🌎wasn't f up to the point of no return.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT