ADVERTISEMENT

Bama's defense the last 6 quarters - 67 points

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Not sure what's going on but Georgia went up and down the field in the second half and Vandy (VANDY!!) put FORTY points on them. Unless I missed something, no defensive or special teams TDs, either. VU offense just whipped them up and down the field.

I hope Brad White and staff will be ready. Their offense is very unpredictable and the QB can be dangerous when he improvises. They killed AL at least twice with huge plays on the shovel pass - gotta be aware of that. But, they also picked up yards doing basic handoffs and QB keepers.

Hard to fathom a world where Vandy pushed Alabama around, but here we are.

Are they running a 4-2-5? I didn't watch that closely to tell. It just looked like they were thinking too much as they were always a step away. unless it was an interior run.

DeBoer's defense at Washington cost him the NC last year, they were very ordinary. Greatly surprised he brought the same DC with him to Alabama.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Imo part of it is Georgia. Georgia is such a physical program, playing them really grinds up your guys. Last few years, they ground up uk and we gad bad losses or bad games after playing them.

Above all else thats when i knew this uk defense was for real. Georgia didn't grind us up at all. Then next game we played even better vs a completely different offense.

Reactions: BlueTick2
Are they running a 4-2-5? I didn't watch that closely to tell. It just looked like they were thinking too much as they were always a step away. unless it was an interior run.
I think Jerry Kill, their OC, is a really good coach. Has won as a HC at several stops and stepped back when he had serious health problems (cancer? I can't remember). But, he'll scheme up something difficult for UK to handle if we aren't super disciplined on defense. If we have guys who don't play their responsibility, we'll have a lot of trouble with VU's offense. Have to maintain our rush lanes to keep Pavia in the pocket. Can't get caught looking into the backfield or a misdirection play or a double move on the outside will cost us points. If our DL consistently gets penetration and pressure, we can stop them. That will be the key, imo.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
I feel like one thing with staying in lanes is also the outside rush not getting too far upfield. I feel like there have been so many times that our outside rush goes too aggressively, and the opposing OTs just ride them past the QB, and then a wide rush lane opens between the OG and OT allowing the QB to run free.

Especially considering how good the push up the is with Deone & others, the edge guys need to maintain discipline and allow the pocket to collapse from all angles

I think Jerry Kill, their OC, is a really good coach. Has won as a HC at several stops and stepped back when he had serious health problems (cancer? I can't remember). But, he'll scheme up something difficult for UK to handle if we aren't super disciplined on defense. If we have guys who don't play their responsibility, we'll have a lot of trouble with VU's offense. Have to maintain our rush lanes to keep Pavia in the pocket. Can't get caught looking into the backfield or a misdirection play or a double move on the outside will cost us points. If our DL consistently gets penetration and pressure, we can stop them. That will be the key, imo.
Kill is actually a "Senior Advisor", OC is Tim Beck. Kill is experienced, long time coach. While HC at Minnesota he suffered rounds of Epilepsy that resulted in seizures that caused him to step away from the game. Managed to get that under control now and is making major contrubutions.

I feel like one thing with staying in lanes is also the outside rush not getting too far upfield. I feel like there have been so many times that our outside rush goes too aggressively, and the opposing OTs just ride them past the QB, and then a wide rush lane opens between the OG and OT allowing the QB to run free.

Especially considering how good the push up the is with Deone & others, the edge guys need to maintain discipline and allow the pocket to collapse from all angles
True, UK will have to play "assignment football" something Alabama did not do. Players stay home, defend their lanes and not play "hero ball" they should do fine. Would keep a spy on their QB tho.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT