ADVERTISEMENT

At Alabama At LSU

Sawnee Cat

All-American
Aug 18, 2007
Florida Gulf Coast
January 1978 our Cats were riding high with a 14 game winning streak. The team was powerful and had it all. A brutal front line with players who could create and score. Guards who could shoot lights out and were very smart. Our point guard was as good as anyone in college basketball. 100 point games were common and Bobby Knights IU team gave the Cats no trouble at all and neither did Kansas. There were cries from college basketball that Kentucky played brutal and the style should be banned. It just wasn't fair.

Then came Alabama and our Cats got routed 78-62. It wasn't that close. Move forward to February and a road game to LSU. The Cats were still ranked number one. Five LSU players fouled out of the game and LSU still won. The invincible Kentucky Wildcats had lost two SEC road games. A team thought to be untouchable by many.

Well as you know the season turned out with our Cats cutting down the nets. We revenged Alabama by beating them 97-84. So what does this mean for 2015. Nothing just a little turn back in time for younger folks.

Bottom line, we might drop one or two. We might lose to Alabama and LSU this year. But the goal is #9 and the dream is alive.

Gotta take care of Mizzou but Bama certainly looks like a test.

I think in 1 of those games were lay the smack down and win by 20 plus the other game will be a close affair with us winning by 2 or 3 at the end. I think "IF" we lose it will to a lower tier SEC team were they play out of their mind and have a player weve barely heard of score 25. I think we get up for lsu and bama.

I was a junior at UK that season and Alabama had been a tough place to play the past couple of years. They were ready for UK and it wasn't close as the Cats couldn't buy a basket that night. On top of that their guards had a field day against Macy and Claytor. Just a bad game and it happens. UK avenged that loss with a beat down of Bama in Rupp the next month. Against LSU it was just a matter of them playing about two miles over their head. UK didn't play bad it was just that LSU played great. UK had embarrassed LSU in Rupp the month before and Dale Brown had they sky high for the game.

I too think we will win both of them this year. But if we do not, it is not the end of the season. Our goal is No 9 how we get it is not the story today. We have plenty of time to write the book. Just keep on winning.

Alabama's style of play will give us trouble but I think we'll play better against them as opposed to this past weekend.

Speaking of 100 point games. Anyone remember that 101-100 UK-Bama game in the SECT? (1979) I was at that game, it was one of the all time classic games I've ever seen play.

Yes I do. I have it on cassette tape and it is one of the most thrilling games in the history of UK basketball. That was the first year of the renewal of the SEC Tournament and Macy went crazy. What a game that was.

I have to be honest I miss offense in college basketball. The boys could shoot the basketball in those days

Originally posted by runt#69:
Speaking of 100 point games. Anyone remember that 101-100 UK-Bama game in the SECT? (1979) I was at that game, it was one of the all time classic games I've ever seen play.
For post# 1000...

I remember this game well. Reggie King was awesome Alabama with Claytor and Macy carried UK. This game and the Ark 95 game were to two of the best SEC games ever!

Originally posted by rockhound24:
For post# 1000...

I remember this game well. Reggie King was awesome Alabama with Claytor and Macy carried UK. This game and the Ark 95 game were to two of the best SEC games ever!
I always remember the look on Rhodes' face when after sulking through the whole overtime he realized that Epps' steal meant that Kentucky had a chance to go ahead. It was like a condemned man being given a pardon.

Originally posted by nyron:

For post# 1000...

I always remember the look on Rhodes' face when after sulking through the whole overtime he realized that Epps' steal meant that Kentucky had a chance to go ahead. It was like a condemned man being given a pardon.
Only temporarily. Where would Rhodes have fit in if we had stayed for 1996? Walker was going to start. I just wonder if Rhodes would have even started that season.

Sorry, know I'm a bit OT.

Originally posted by nyron:

For post# 1000...

30,000 people... I know BBN is awesome, but it was a fairly even (60/40) split. UK spent about 39 minutes playing catch up basketball. When Rhodes got fouled, ALL the Arkansas fans around us headed for the exits. I mean they were leaving in packs. When Rhodes missed those FT's all the Ark fans tried to get back in the section and I vividly remember UK fans yelling at them for giving up on their team.

My father and I had tickets to that entire tournament. He passed away in 2013, but that was one of the best weekends of my life.

"Five LSU players fouled out of the game and LSU still won"

IIRC it wasn't just any five but the entire starting five and they all fouled out in regulation in a game that went overtime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT