ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant coaching change

TheWyldKat

Senior
Mar 13, 2016
I was listening to the Sources Say Podcast with Jack and the other guy. Let me first start off by saying I do love the podcast, it’s entertaining, but they never reveal any top-secret information. They were talking today about the addition of possibly two assistant coaches to the staff.
As usual they did not specify any names LOL. I wonder if any this is true.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
Lot of grumbling and rumors. I know Cal wants to add at least one. At least my buddy thinks this. Again, he isn’t super connected any longer, but does have some conversation with a guy who knows a few things. Also told me again two days ago that there is still some possibility with Hardy. I know KSR has hinted at this, and Sources Say have as well. So I would say where there’s smoke there’s fire. But I have heard Cal pretty much said he will not fire anyone, so depends on “their move first” type of situation.

I have a feel Robic will retire to open one spot. What does this guy do?

For Cal’s first several years, Robic was the one who coached basketball, allowing Calipari to be the showman and everyone else to recruit.

Since Robic has taken a step back, I’ve never been particularly clear who does the basketball coaching.

For Cal’s first several years, Robic was the one who coached basketball, allowing Calipari to be the showman and everyone else to recruit.

Since Robic has taken a step back, I’ve never been particularly clear who does the basketball coaching.
You'll get crushed by the CDL, but you're absolutely correct.

Reactions: KFuqua

He still does that I think but to a lesser extent since he has alot of restrictions in this role.

The move hurt the program but almost had to happen. If you saw the man around town, it was fairly obvious he was a really rough time in his personal life

If Boston gets drafted in the 1st round, it will be in spite of his time at Kentucky. Not because of it.
I mean, I’d say if he gets drafted in the first round, it would be in spite of the fact that he played like ass more than anything. If a kid is genuinely as good as Boston was ranked coming out of high school, there’s no system in basketball that would make him perform as poorly as he did.

Last edited:

No one, obviously.

Lot of grumbling and rumors. I know Cal wants to add at least one. At least my buddy thinks this. Again, he isn’t super connected any longer, but does have some conversation with a guy who knows a few things. Also told me again two days ago that there is still some possibility with Hardy. I know KSR has hinted at this, and Sources Say have as well. So I would say where there’s smoke there’s fire. But I have heard Cal pretty much said he will not fire anyone, so depends on “their move first” type of situation.
I’m wondering could it possibly be Antigua?

I haven’t seen Robic at the games either, was on the bench?

Ok. Good grief

Without getting into the substance of this allegation, it's pretty remarkable that a moderator of this site would say this about the head coach. I guess any questions about the inclinations of Cats Illustrated have been answered.

If you think Cal doesn’t do the coaching, you know nothing about basketball.

Reactions: kb22stang
Saw another account saying UCLA has replaced UK if he goes to college. Needless to say I hope he sticks with the G League.
I posted about the Hardy/UCLA stuff. Can't remember where I came across it. However, it seemed legit but things are fluid with elite recruits.

which is exactly what this staff knows.................nothing

Are you people really this stupid. I mean honestly, how do you tie your own shoes. Calipari knows more about coaching basketball then you probably know about anything other than posting on a message board.

The shit that's said about Cal, a highly successful UK basketball coach, on a UK website is ridiculous and the mods never intervene. Scratch that, they do intervene when it's pointed out that much of that criticism and vitriol is driven by racism, but they're fine allowing anything to be said about the staff and players. It's no wonder that the rest of college basketball looks at this fan base as laughable and it's become harder for Cal to recruit. But hey, I'm sure I'll get reprimanded for pointing what is obvious to anyone.

Edited to remove an unnecessary comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you people really this stupid. I mean honestly, how do you tie your own shoes. Calipari knows more about coaching basketball then you probably know about anything other than posting on a message board.

The shit that's said about Cal, a highly successful UK basketball coach, on a UK website is ridiculous and the mods never intervene. Scratch that, they do intervene when it's pointed out that much of that criticism and vitriol is driven by racism, but they're fine allowing anything to be said about the staff and players. It's no wonder that the rest of college basketball looks at this fan base as laughable and it's become harder for Cal to recruit. But hey, I'm sure I'll get reprimanded for pointing what is obvious to anyone know born of inbreeding.
@IL Wildcat this dude is still allowed to post?

Coach Robic buried his daughter while coaching here. That gets him a lifetime pass on my bench any day. His role is ever changing. Just because we don’t see or hear from him much doesn’t mean he doesn’t play a vital role. Stop with all this nonsense. The biggest loss we suffered was is Kenny Payne. Not the loudest guy but a silent leader who knew how to reach guys. We need coachable players.

The shit that's said about Cal, a highly successful UK basketball coach, on a UK website is ridiculous and the mods never intervene. Scratch that, they do intervene when it's pointed out that much of that criticism and vitriol is driven by racism, but they're fine allowing anything to be said about the staff and players. It's no wonder that the rest of college basketball looks at this fan base as laughable and it's become harder for Cal to recruit. But hey, I'm sure I'll get reprimanded for pointing what is obvious to anyone.

dude we just went 9-16. You act like we came off a sweet sixteen loss. Then to call out the fans who won’t put up with our bb program replacing football as the losing program is ridiculous. You bring race then say it’s a product of inbreeding. You attack the entire state and fan base in some way yet you defend cal tooth and nail. The rest of college basketball wishes they had 8 titles. They wish to be the winningest program. UK fans know that everyone wants to knock us off our perch and that’s why the backlash against cal. We want to keep our spot as the greatest. The crazy UK fans are the fans who have made this program. 8 titles 5 coaches. The only constant in that are the fans and the demand of excellence from the guy who runs the program.

now calling cal highly successful isn’t true especially as of late. In the last 6 years looking at each season he is worse than tubby who needed to go. You are a cal fan not a UK fan to insult people with the inbreeding crack. That crosses a major line and no Kentuckian blue blooded would turn on the fan base like that if they were a true blue fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coach Robic buried his daughter while coaching here. That gets him a lifetime pass on my bench any day. His role is ever changing. Just because we don’t see or hear from him much doesn’t mean he doesn’t play a vital role. Stop with all this nonsense. The biggest loss we suffered was is Kenny Payne. Not the loudest guy but a silent leader who knew how to reach guys. We need coachable players.

i feel for robic to lose a child but losing a family member doesn’t give anyone a lifetime pass in any business. Now I’m not saying robic should go or needs to go but many people lose someone in their family sometimes a kid. That doesn’t get them some kind of a pass. That’s the unfortunate circumstances of life that people live and die. Robic seems like a nice guy like I said he’s not even really part of the staff anymore. If cal wants him on the bench I’m fine. If robic were an integral part of bringing in talent or a major assistant I would not be fine. He is long in the tooth and would need to move on.

If I'm trying to be a peacemaker here, I would say the talk of "no true fan" from both sides of this issue is too far. I believe we all want the same thing, we just have different ways to get there. Ultimately, we really have no direct input into the coaching situation at UK. We just come here to vent. We are passionate fans and we get fired up and say too much. The inbreeding comment above is too much. I'm about to edit that and delete it.

I do wish we could find another topic to discuss here because this one invariably leads to angry comments from both sides and it divides us, which is a sad thing to me. Truly, we can't change the situation. We should all be hoping for the best for next season and the coming years. I believe most are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT