ADVERTISEMENT

Artificial Intelligence

Bill Cosby

All-American
May 1, 2008
So Bill Gates did an AMA on Reddit today and said:

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence. First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don't understand why some people are not concerned. Link.

Elon Musk is trying to escape to Mars. Bill Gates is scared of Skynet. So when do we all get killed by computers?

Elon Musk and Bill Gates are both egomaniacs. I think you sort of have to be to get where they are. But because of this they like to stay in the news - and this topic comes up every so often and generates a lot of hits. Think about it, these guys are always on some sort of panel discussion, and journalists will ask the question, "what scares you about the future", and they naturally go down this path.

I look at IT projects going on at Google and other major companies, and they all spend millions of dollars trying connect system A with system B. And this has been going on for 30 years now. These systems are flipping dumb, and I haven't seen any real progress in this space. And there is a huge incentive to come up with something.

My point is that I think we have a long, long, long way to go before something like AI threatens humanity.

I stole this from Wikipedia, but this guy sums up my thoughts best on AI: Leading AI researcher [
[/I]

Reactions: d2atTech
Originally posted by IdaCat:
It will be a long time before anybody has to worry about AI getting smart enough to take over, especially if the software is written by Microsoft.
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by kghighroller:

Can't wait to see this movie. AI related
One major problem is that Ava was obviously horribly miscast -- should have been Ava from Justified.

"Dew yew wah-unt to buhee muh freh-uunhd?"

I suspect that a cure for further aging and the perfect artificial woman will be developed when I’m 97.

I’ll fight to live 5 more years so I can laugh my ass off when AI is bending humanity over, instead of the other way around.

thats why you build AI's with programming respecting life whether its AI or biological.

also havent you learned from movies......... treat AI's with respect because abusing them like slave labor is why they always rebel and kill.

Anyone who thinks robots are ready to take over the world has never owned a robot vacuum. That stupid thing my wife has gets stuck in the same dang spot every day.

This is going to be a major impact on the economy. I honestly am not sure what the majority of the work force is going to be doing in 20 years. The Coronavirus is probably a good warm up for what is coming down the pipe.

At this point if I open a problem ticket, what the software company I worked for 20 years called cases, and I get an AI bot pretending to be a human it’s immediately obvious, and they are easily flustered. So I’m not worried about it taking over the world anytime soon, but long term it is a concern though at 63 it doesn’t matter. I’ll be dead.

I think there are 2 problems with the argument that threat is too far away to be concerned with.
1. Using current levels of AI, which indeed are very limited, and assuming the “improvement “ will be slow.
2. Assuming the US will remain the leader in technology over the next several years.

I believe that over the next decade, the technology will increase exponentially. In many ways, it will seem very cool. The following decade will produce machines with a more general intelligence, which very quickly will become a super-intelligence. When that happens, the machines won’t maliciously destroy us, but we will be obsolete.

I think there are 2 problems with the argument that threat is too far away to be concerned with.
1. Using current levels of AI, which indeed are very limited, and assuming the “improvement “ will be slow.
2. Assuming the US will remain the leader in technology over the next several years.

I believe that over the next decade, the technology will increase exponentially. In many ways, it will seem very cool. The following decade will produce machines with a more general intelligence, which very quickly will become a super-intelligence. When that happens, the machines won’t maliciously destroy us, but we will be obsolete.
Ironic—were so smart we can make AI.
We’re so dumb it’ll TAKE ARe JABS!!!3!

At this point if I open a problem ticket, what the software company I worked for 20 years called cases, and I get an AI bot pretending to be a human it’s immediately obvious, and they are easily flustered. So I’m not worried about it taking over the world anytime soon, but long term it is a concern though at 63 it doesn’t matter. I’ll be dead.

didn’t you get a d.u.i on a bicycle? I doubt A.I is your biggest problem

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT