ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona leaving PAC 12?

Why does everyone want Clemson so bad?

They have been good at football since Dabo, but they aren't historically good and I would pretty much guarantee they go back to being shitty once Dabo leaves.

And they aren't good at anything else (finished 51st in the Capital One standings this past year).

And I don't view their brand being as strong as UNC, Florida State, Duke, etc. either

Just seems like once Dabo leaves, they'll be on par with Missouri as far as what they bring to the league, and I don't want to be stuck with another Missouri for the next 50 years.

Clemson in 32 years pre-Dabo:

One national championship, 5 top-10 finishes, 3 losing records. Not in the same category as Missouri.

mBhgeCa.png

The Big 12 has done everything right so far since the big 2 left. PAC 12 is all but gone.
I agree. I thought they were dead in the water. They had TAMU, Mizzou, Nebraska and Mizzou bolt about 12 years ago. Add in Texas and Oklahoma leaving and those are all major hits. They made some decent moves in adding Houston, UC, BYU and UCF. Now looking like they will bring in Arizona, Arizona State and Utah. Not Big Ten/SEC good, but will come away from this being the 3rd best conference.

As for the PAC12 teams that are left (Cal, Stanford, Oregon State and Washington State), instead of looking at other conferences to join, you come to the realization that you're no longer in a Power 5 conference, but there is still name recognition to the PAC12, so I would ask the Mountain West to merge with them and keep the PAC12 conference and it would be 16 teams.

Reactions: Fox2monk
With Cal and Stanford having strong academics on top of athletics, it’s strange to see them left out of all this discussion. Hard to believe that no one wants them.

I think there's still hope for Stanford and Cal. They have plenty to offer with the prestigious academic status and delivering the huge Bay Area TV markets. I think the Big Ten may eventually relent and let them in.

But, man, Wazzu and Oregon State are truly screwed. Looks like they just got permanently relegated to mid-major status.

Wild.

One day you are a P5 School. Then next, *poof*

Strange times we live in.
It is wild. In terms of prestige, it's like when the Big 8 and Southwest Conference combined in 1996. They took all the Big 8 schools:

Colorado
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Mizzou
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

The following schools from the Southwest Conference joined the new Big 12:

Baylor
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

The following schools were left out in the cold:

Houston
SMU
Rice
TCU

Houston and TCU have climbed their way back to the big boys, while SMU and Rice have never been the same.

Big12 gets weaker every time
But they’ve successfully done everything they could do to survive. A couple years ago everybody was presuming that they were the doomed conference, instead it ended up being the PAC 12. Flipping that script was accomplishment enough.

Getting stronger ain’t really an option for the Big 12 or ACC now …not with the other two holding all the cards …they’re just trying to stay alive and relevant.

But they’ve successfully done everything they could do to survive. A couple years ago everybody was presuming that they were the doomed conference, instead it ended up being the PAC 12. Flipping that script was accomplishment enough.

Getting stronger ain’t really an option for the Big 12 or ACC now …not with the other two holding all the cards …they’re just trying to stay alive and relevant.
Turning into Conf USA. Yes holding on but no one will watch. Maybe big East or Atlantic 10 would be a better comparison.

Why does everyone want Clemson so bad?

They have been good at football since Dabo, but they aren't historically good and I would pretty much guarantee they go back to being shitty once Dabo leaves.

And they aren't good at anything else (finished 51st in the Capital One standings this past year).

And I don't view their brand being as strong as UNC, Florida State, Duke, etc. either

Just seems like once Dabo leaves, they'll be on par with Missouri as far as what they bring to the league, and I don't want to be stuck with another Missouri for the next 50 years.
Football has a good history. And what is to say Dabo's successor won't do well?

Baseball team has won 16 ACC titles

Mens golf and men's soccer has won national championships.

Turning into Conf USA. Yes holding on but no one will watch. Maybe big East or Atlantic 10 would be a better comparison.

This is such a bad take.

For Football:

TCU, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Iowa State and Cincinnati have all finished top-10 in football in the last 5 years or so. Baylor and Oklahoma State have both finished 5th and 6th respectively, narrowly missing the CFP, and TCU made it to the title game this year and beat Michigan in the semis.

Cincinnati and TCU made the CFP, Utah has been to 2 of the last 3 Rose Bowls, Oklahoma State finished top 10 like 7 years in a row or something crazy like that, etc. etc.

I could go on and on- this is a better football conference than the ACC BY FAR, and honestly, the bulk of the league is on par with the Big 10 outside of Ohio State and Michigan (Utah has been better than USC lately, etc.)

In Basketball:

This league is EPIC.

Kansas, Houston, Texas Tech and Baylor all have Final Fours or National Titles since 2018.

Arizona is a basketball school with a rich history.

TCU, WVU, Cincy, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, etc. are all perennial NCAA tournament teams just about every single year.

BYU and Utah has had plenty of moments in their history as well, especially Utah.

Much, much better basketball league, especially of late, than the SEC and Big 10.

Not sure how anyone can say nobody will want to watch this conference.

I think the SEC stays at 16 for a bit.

Only exception might be adding UNC or NCSU for the Carolina markets and UVA or VT for the DC/VA markets.

But I really don’t see ACC teams leaving. The whole Grant of Rights thing makes it pretty expensive to leave.

I think it’s the Power 4 now.

But it’s really the Power 2 and the other two conferences hanging on for dear life.

WKU said this too when Conference USA fell apart and they are still there. I don't see anyone wanting Cal for the time being so they can either go independent or go to the Mountain West. Their Board of Regents would also probably be happy to just shut football down as they've done a terrible job supporting it (and other athletics) in recent years, drawing complaints from alumni and coaches there like Fox.

This is such a bad take.

For Football:

TCU, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Iowa State and Cincinnati have all finished top-10 in football in the last 5 years or so. Baylor and Oklahoma State have both finished 5th and 6th respectively, narrowly missing the CFP, and TCU made it to the title game this year and beat Michigan in the semis.

Cincinnati and TCU made the CFP, Utah has been to 2 of the last 3 Rose Bowls, Oklahoma State finished top 10 like 7 years in a row or something crazy like that, etc. etc.

I could go on and on- this is a better football conference than the ACC BY FAR, and honestly, the bulk of the league is on par with the Big 10 outside of Ohio State and Michigan (Utah has been better than USC lately, etc.)

In Basketball:

This league is EPIC.

Kansas, Houston, Texas Tech and Baylor all have Final Fours or National Titles since 2018.

Arizona is a basketball school with a rich history.

TCU, WVU, Cincy, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, etc. are all perennial NCAA tournament teams just about every single year.

BYU and Utah has had plenty of moments in their history as well, especially Utah.

Much, much better basketball league, especially of late, than the SEC and Big 10.

Not sure how anyone can say nobody will want to watch this conference.
None of those football teams are going to win a championship and when KU wins the conference 137 times in a row, I believe the term epic basketball conference comes into major question.

Brett Yormark (Big 12 commissioner) got hired about a year ago. The dude before him was a joke. He has saved that conference in less than a year. Guy needs a raise

I mean it's a mid major football conference.

No one is giving the big 12 as many teams n playoff as sec and big 10. I'd say 1 bid league a year.

I mean it's a mid major football conference.

No one is giving the big 12 as many teams n playoff as sec and big 10. I'd say 1 bid league a year.
I never claimed it was on par with the SEC or B10 with respect to football. My point was B12 was somewhat on life support and he made some moves. Led to the demise of the Pac10. That very easily could have been the B12.

Reactions: StubbornPenny
None of those football teams are going to win a championship and when KU wins the conference 137 times in a row, I believe the term epic basketball conference comes into major question.

I didn't say they would win a championship, I said it was absolutely watchable.

The Big 10 has won one football championship in 20 years...yet everyone watches them?

So what's your point? Championships? Or watchability? Pick one and stick to it, but that Big 12 as it stands will absolutely, 100% be tuned into on a weekly basis.

And that basketball conference is a juggernaut- anyone who says otherwise is clueless.

What schools are even available now? I can’t think of any schools that would be a total reach. The Big12 was swift in grabbing teams. ECU? Tulane?
Gonzaga would be a big prize but don't expect them to step into that hot mess.

I wish they would do away with conferences. How fun would it be to play whoever you wanted? I'm sure there are loads of teams that Kentucky has never played before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT