ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona leaving PAC 12?

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
The already murky future of the Pac-12 would hang in the balance should the Wildcats depart the league. Colorado left the league for the Big 12 last week prior to Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff delivering an underwhelming presentation to university administrators from the league early this week on a future media rights deal centering around a streaming contract with Apple.

Looking more and more like the PAC12 is about to die.

Does this set the stage for the ACC to follow? If the SEC wants and gets FSU and Clemson, I think they're done. If it Clemson and someone else, I just can't see the BIG10 taking FSU. So the ACC might survive by gobbling up any leftovers they can and giving ND a sweetheart deal to join in football.

With USC, UCLA, Tex, and Oklahoma all going to conferences that they often matched up against in major bowl games (Rose, Sugar, Cotton) .... it might take a few years but is the current bowl system in real danger? We're on the verge of expanded playoffs anyway. I can't imagine bowls, in the old sense, surviving. Going forward the major bowls are just playoff rounds.

Does the Power 5 survive? Power 4? Power 3? I think maybe 4 is where we're going to be.

And finally, Notre Dame. Stays semi-independent? If not, which conference do they join? I think the ACC if they survive and can get a bigger cut of the pie. If that doesn't work out, I've always believed and wanted them in the BIG10. But egos being what they are, them jumping to the SEC would totally be in character.

ACC Grant of Rights is gonna be hard to break. Might keep them alive, for the time being.

Gonna be interesting what happens to Stanford and Cal if they don't get in the B1G. Would they stick with Oregon St/Washington St and invite 6 MWC teams?

Poor Stanford is about to take a hit.

They have one of the highest rated athletic departments and athletic programs in the country and that all may come to an end.

Imagine finding yourself in a Power 5 conference one day and then in like 72 hours be conferenceless

Reactions: Fox2monk
Poor Stanford is about to take a hit.

They have one of the highest rated athletic departments and athletic programs in the country and that all may come to an end.

Imagine finding yourself in a Power 5 conference one day and then in like 72 hours be conferenceless
I thought the latest rumor had Stanford and Cal going to the Big Ten?

When it all shakes out:

Big 12 adds Colorado, Utah, Zona, and ASU to get to 16.

Oregon, Washington, Cal, and Stanford join UCLA and USC in the Big Ten, which gets them to 20.

SEC stands pat at 16.

ACC stands pat because of their Grant of Rights.

The PAC- 12 dissolves.

Oregon St. and Washington St. go to the highest bidder.

We are down to the Power 4.

Just my guess.

ACC Grant of Rights is gonna be hard to break. Might keep them alive, for the time being.

Gonna be interesting what happens to Stanford and Cal if they don't get in the B1G. Would they stick with Oregon St/Washington St and invite 6 MWC teams?
I don’t think it will since most in the ACC want to leave for geeener pastures. It’s the ones, like UL who would be SOL so they obviously wouldn’t vote for a disband.

I seem to recall that Maryland got past the Grant of Rights restriction by agreeing to pay a massive exit fee somewhere in the 30 to 40 million dollar range.

Couldn't Clemson or FSU do the same?

ACC GOR is a complete death trap. Sure, it could keep them alive... for now. But they're already taking under market money, and will be stuck that way for FOURTEEN YEARS. By the time the next negotiations come up, they won't have anything to sell, having taken $20-50 million less per year (depending on the new contracts) than B1G and SEC schools. The schools that want out have to force it now.

Pac-12 is dead. Apple TV, lol. Might as well just get up in front of your schools and say "we got nothing."

Can't believe the SEC might stand pat. They need to secure the North Carolina and Virginia TV markets before the B1G gets it's claws in there. Clemson and FSU are okay gets, just to make sure the B1G doesn't weasel in, as it's clear they give no craps about geography. SEC would be smart to get some foothold in Ohio and Indiana as well. As lame as it sounds, Notre Dame might cover Indiana, Chicago area, and a national footprint as well. SEC got the big prize in Texas, but they need to keep working before the B1G can just overwhelm them with schools and bigger money.

The problem with this game is there's only so many pieces up for grabs.n You have to have the following 1. a large-ish population without a massive pro foothold or 2. Enough population that cares about and can support college ball. Nothing else really matters. And those targets are disappearing daily.

I"Welcome to the Big Ten!"
"But there's like 20 now!"
"Well, it's still the Big Ten..."
Well, the SEC now has schools that ain't in the Southeast, the ACC has schools far from the Atlantic coast, the Big East is full of midwest schools, and the Big 12 ain't got 12.

Perhaps after all the dust settles the conferences left standing might consider re-naming themselves. It is rather absurd how mis-labeled they all are now.

Last edited:
Well, the SEC now has schools that ain't in the Southeast, the ACC has schools nowhere near the Atlantic coast, the Big East is full of midwest schools, and the Big 12 ain't got 12.

Perhaps after all the dust settles the conferences left standing might consider re-naming themselves. It is rather absurd how mis-labeled they all are now.
My favorite was Chicago State being in the WAC prior to last year.

Reactions: UK90
Well, the SEC now has schools that ain't in the Southeast, the ACC has schools far from the Atlantic coast, the Big East is full of midwest schools, and the Big 12 ain't got 12.

Perhaps instead of trying to restrict college athletes for all those years, the NCAA should have considered making schools sit out a year if they wanted to transfer conferences.

Oh I know. But when you have a number in your name that state exactly how many schools you have....that's...that's a little more obvious.

I don’t think it will since most in the ACC want to leave for geeener pastures. It’s the ones, like UL who would be SOL so they obviously wouldn’t vote for a disband.

Gotta get 8 to dissolve. Are there 8 landing spots? Big 10 might be about to go to 18 with Oregon/Washington. Could SEC/Big 10 actually take on a total of 8 more schools?

Funny how the script on this flipped. A couple years ago it looked for sure like the Big 12 was the doomed conference, instead it ended up being the PAC.

Losing USC and UCLA changed everything. The rest of the conference collapsed like a house of cards after its flagship schools announced they were leaving.

Funny how the script on this flipped. A couple years ago it looked for sure like the Big 12 was the doomed conference, instead it ended up being the PAC.

Losing USC and UCLA changed everything. The rest of the conference collapsed like a house of cards after its flagship schools announced they were leaving.
There's just no other support for that conference. Oregon was the other big school athletics wise, but their provenance has waned a bit. Stanford is good all around, but it isn't just as large as USC/UCLA.

If Zona does leave, that will be the final nail.

Last edited:
Send Missouri to the Pac 12? and bring Clemson into the SEC.

Why does everyone want Clemson so bad?

They have been good at football since Dabo, but they aren't historically good and I would pretty much guarantee they go back to being shitty once Dabo leaves.

And they aren't good at anything else (finished 51st in the Capital One standings this past year).

And I don't view their brand being as strong as UNC, Florida State, Duke, etc. either

Just seems like once Dabo leaves, they'll be on par with Missouri as far as what they bring to the league, and I don't want to be stuck with another Missouri for the next 50 years.

Word is as of last night if Arizona goes then Washington and Oregon to the B1G. CAL and Stanford won’t get an invite. Then it’s wait for a couple of ACC schools. The B1G doesn’t want to be the bad guy. Waiting for the Big 12 to move first.

They have been good at football since Dabo, but they aren't historically good and I would pretty much guarantee they go back to being shitty once Dabo leaves.
They didn't need Dabo to win the 81 national championship and they're one of the 15 winningest FBS programs in history. That doesn't count as "historically good?"

Gotta get 8 to dissolve. Are there 8 landing spots? Big 10 might be about to go to 18 with Oregon/Washington. Could SEC/Big 10 actually take on a total of 8 more schools?
Clemson and FSU will be desired for football (2)

UNC and Virginia for the TV markets (4)

Duke would strengthen any basketball league and their football ain't that bad. (5)

I could see Miami and Syracuse being desirable for their markets (7)

B10 and SEC make promises to them and then another and that's it. They can split however.

Word is as of last night if Arizona goes then Washington and Oregon to the B1G. CAL and Stanford won’t get an invite. Then it’s wait for a couple of ACC schools. The B1G doesn’t want to be the bad guy. Waiting for the Big 12 to move first.
Stanford getting left out in the cold would be awful; it would kill that school's athletics to go non-Power 5.

Never thought I'd see a Power 5 conference just dissolve in my lifetime. Wow.

Current State of Pac-12:
rats-leaving-a-sinking-ship.jpg

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
Texas and Oklahoma leaving, the big 12 needed help on the basketball side of things. Zona will take care of that. Every 4 to 6 years they should have a decent football team as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT