ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona is Unbeatable

Well to be fair they lost three games all year with their full squad. The interesting game in there was when UCLA beat them. That game was a blow out and they had their full team.

Reactions: MbergCat
I actually watched a couple of their games. One was against Stanford who was there the whole way and barely got beat by 2. ARZ is good, but they haven't had to play anyone for awhile. USC for the Pac 12 title, they din't even make the tourney. ARZ ST, who barely made it, same with UCLA. I watched teams that were not that good take ARZ to the end of games. We need JV back, but we can beat them. A lot of stuff I have read have us as the dark horse in the South. Don't get me wrong we will probably only be favored in our first game and that's it. However if we win thur. we can beat ARZ and if we do that I like us to upset Virginia. Don't want to look ahead much farther than that LOL.

How does Zona shoot from 3?
37.7% as a team. Jackson-Cartwright (42.2), Trier (39.1) and Alkins (36.7) are all good shooters. Of course, we've proven to be one of the best 3-point defensive teams in the country. We need to play Ayton straight up and make sure we continue to lock down on perimeter shooting.

Three of their losses were in Nov too with one of their best players out. They haven't really beaten anyone, but they're on a roll right now.

I haven't seen anyone say we can't beat them, just that it will be tough, and we shouldn't have this matchup this early.

Three of their losses were in Nov too with one of their best players out. They haven't really beaten anyone, but they're on a roll right now.

I haven't seen anyone say we can't beat them, just that it will be tough, and we shouldn't have this matchup this early.
The game they lost to Oregon they didn’t have Trier.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
37.7% as a team. Jackson-Cartwright (42.2), Trier (39.1) and Alkins (36.7) are all good shooters. Of course, we've proven to be one of the best 3-point defensive teams in the country. We need to play Ayton straight up and make sure we continue to lock down on perimeter shooting.
I’m not worried about Ayton beating us. I believe if they do beat us it will be because they make 10 or more threes.

How does Zona shoot from 3?

Trier is Arizona’s best shooter from distance. Trier’s shot selection at times is an issue but he is quite good at making contested shots. Parker Jackson Cartwright is an excellent set three point shooter, but given your length on the perimeter I don’t believe he’ll take many against you guys unless an assignment is blown or a switch is made. Alkins is an okay perimeter shooter but streaky. Dylan Smith is very streaky. He’s gone from 38% to 33% just on account of going 0 for 10 in the PAC-12 tournament.

Both Ristic and Ayton are quality three point shooters but we’re playing into your hands if they are that far away from the basket.

We haven’t really faced much of any man to man since early in the non conference and we’ve torched it on the few occasions that we’ve face it. The zone had flummoxed us early in the year, but we’ve started to play through Ristic in the high post and that has proved deadly against the zone.

Best of luck to you in all your other contests. I’ve always had a good time with your fan base when i’ve had the privilege of spending time with them.

If you have any questions on Zona I will certainly try my best to answer.

Last edited:
I actually watched a couple of their games. One was against Stanford who was there the whole way and barely got beat by 2. ARZ is good, but they haven't had to play anyone for awhile. USC for the Pac 12 title, they din't even make the tourney. ARZ ST, who barely made it, same with UCLA. I watched teams that were not that good take ARZ to the end of games. We need JV back, but we can beat them. A lot of stuff I have read have us as the dark horse in the South. Don't get me wrong we will probably only be favored in our first game and that's it. However if we win thur. we can beat ARZ and if we do that I like us to upset Virginia. Don't want to look ahead much farther than that LOL.
Also took OT to beat Bruins. Yep, we lost to them but we are a much, much better team now.

Arizona has the next to worst strength of schedule among all Power 5 plus Big East teams in the tournament.

The offenses faced by Arizona amount to the third to last in efficiency among those same teams.

The defenses faced by Arizona are dead last among the same group.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Arizona (much like Kentucky) has jelled very recently. In the nine games since their stinker @home against UCLA they are 11th in the nation in offensive efficiency and 6th in defensive efficiency.

I imagine Kentucky’s in a very similar boat. These are without a doubt two of the 8-10 teams most likely to win the tournament. Both deserved better treatment by the committee but it is what it is. Going to be an absolute brawl if the matchup does come to fruition which I believe it will.

Last edited:
Great guards and a dominant big man. A matchup nightmare for us in the paint. Ristic and Ayton are better than our 3 best bigs. Whoever wins that game is going to the Final Four.

Trier is Arizona’s best shooter from distance. Trier’s shot selection at times is an issue but I he is quite good at making contested shots. Parker Jackson Cartwright is an excellent set three point shooter, but given your length on the perimeter I don’t believe he’ll take many against you guys unless an assignment is blown or a switch is made. Alkins is an okay perimeter shooter but streaky. Dylan Smith is very streaky. He’s gone from 38% to 33% just on account of going 0 for 10 in the PAC-12 tournament.

Both Ristic and Ayton are quality three point shooters but we’re playing into your hands if they are that far away from the basket.

We haven’t really faced much of any man to man since early in the non conference and we’ve torched it on the few occasions that we’ve face it. The zone had flummoxed us early in the year, but we’ve started to play through Ristic in the high post and that has proved deadly against the zone.

Best of luck to you in all your other contests. I’ve always had a good time with your fan base when i’ve had the privilege of spending time with them.

If you have any questions on Zona I will certainly try my best to answer.
Nice classy post.

Reactions: IrishMike409
If sga can shut down trier and we can contain ayton we can win the game. The other guy that worries me is alkins. I would probably try and stick weynen on him because he's longer and plays tough d. Hami if he's on might not be a bad idea either. We have seen before when this team is against the wall we play tough d we are going to need an A+ game to beat them, but let's beat the Davison currys first

Reactions: Blueaz
Well, technically, none of the teams they have defeated are currently ranked. Arizona did defeat TAMU when they were ranked 7th in the nation early in the season and ASU when they were ranked 3rd and 25th in the nation.

More concerned with Davidson than Zona. Ayton hasn't played against the front court size like we have. Cal will have a plan for Ayton.
Who would you rather have on your team right now. A senior Mateen or Ayton? Look what we did to Mateen...

Dont forget about Buffalo.they will score 80 plus...might not be enough but they will score

Well, like most people, I’m concerned with Ayton because of our trouble at the center position. That looks to be a big mismatch obviously so if cal can figure that out, that’s great and all, but they also have a seven footer named Dusan Ristic who averages 12 points and 7 rebounds. I have no idea how we’re going to handle two big men, let alone one that happens to be the best player in the country.

Reactions: Blueaz
Buffalo vs. Arizona is pretty much the same as Davidson vs. Kentucky. They may get hot and hit a lot of threes b/c it’s the NCAA tournament. It happens every so often.

Just for frame of reference Davidson has hit twice as many threes as Buffalo. Davidson’s game logs are pretty wild. What a bunch of chuckers.

I’ll be shocked if Arizona does not play Kentucky on Saturday.

It’s just not a good match up for us. I think most are just disappointed in the draw. There aren’t many second round games that would worry me the way we are playing but Zona is one that does.
How, we are one of the biggest teams in the country.

If sga can shut down trier and we can contain ayton we can win the game. The other guy that worries me is alkins. I would probably try and stick weynen on him because he's longer and plays tough d. Hami if he's on might not be a bad idea either. We have seen before when this team is against the wall we play tough d we are going to need an A+ game to beat them, but let's beat the Davison currys first
We can can do it. Miller is still coach, and they will have an off game. Hopefully, against us. If they play there A game and we don't. We dont win. If we play our A game, we can win it all. No doubt in my mind. Just very concerned about the let down we had to Fl.
If that had not happened I would be supremely confident in a final four run.

Arizona (much like Kentucky) has jelled very recently. In the nine games since their stinker @home against UCLA they are 11th in the nation in offensive efficiency and 6th in defensive efficiency.

I imagine Kentucky’s in a very similar boat. These are without a doubt two of the 8-10 teams most likely to win the tournament. Both deserved better treatment by the committee but it is what it is. Going to be an absolute brawl if the matchup does come to fruition which I believe it will.

Good post! On point. Speaking as your standard issue, run of the mill, "woe is mem conspiracy theorist", from the outside looking in, you'd almost think someone was being punished by this matchup in the second round.

Except for:

NC State
Purdue
SMU
Colorado
Washington
UCLA
Oregon

They did not beat a single top 25 team this year

Here's the link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ari...TF-8#sie=t;/m/02qk2d5;3;/g/11ckvf54fz;mt;fp;1
I just posted this in another thread. They haven't played a single team with a pulse since beating Alabama and aTm in early December at home.

They've been beating a bunch of bad teams by 10-16 points and seven lost to several of them.
How did they get a 4 seed? Makes no sense the me.

The game they lost to Oregon they didn’t have Trier.
Still shouldn't lose to Oregon. In fact, they should still win that game by 20 without Trier.
They have great individual talent, but that doesn't mean they're a good team.

You guys are kidding yourself's if you don't realize that Arizona is the most talented team we will play this year if that game happens. They are playing with a serious chip on their shoulder because they know that after this year the hammer will be dropped on that program. It will take the best game we've played all year to beat them.

You guys are kidding yourself's if you don't realize that Arizona is the most talented team we will play this year if that game happens. They are playing with a serious chip on their shoulder because they know that after this year the hammer will be dropped on that program. It will take the best game we've played all year to beat them.
Nobody said they weren't talented.
They have great individual talent, but if that talent doesn't mesh together you end up with a bunch of individuals playing a game. That's what I see when I watch them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT