ADVERTISEMENT

Arch Manning

Sark's being quoted as naming Ewers the starter. Seemslike those millions of NIL for Manning may turn out to be a bad investment. He could still be an all-timer, of course. Too soon to tell.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Sark's being quoted as naming Ewers the starter. Seemslike those millions of NIL for Manning may turn out to be a bad investment. He could still be an all-timer, of course. Too soon to tell.
He’s a freshman. Even Peyton didn’t start the first of the year at Tennessee. He came in when I believe the starter got hurt. So yeah, I wouldn’t count him out just yet

As I said in the other Arch thread, this is actually playing out the way the Manning family (allegedly) wanted. Ewers gets to deal with all the nasty bitter Big 12 left behind players & crowds & refs. Arch gets to start with a clean slate in '24 as a member of an SEC team, just like his uncles & grandpappy.

Never thought the Manning boys had cannons, certainly not in the class of Elway/Marino, both of whom had bazookas. P Manning was lucky enough to play behind an elite OL. Don't know how often he was sacked but it was damned few.

Ferrell and a few others said the whole time he wasn't the best qb recruit in the country. You have some overhyped due to name and others that hate him because of the name. Who knows what he will become? There was maybe a 5% chance he was named Texas starter this year. Even his family wanted him to RS. As far as a bad investment, he can earn up to those amounts. They act like it isn't performance based but put in the contracts according to market value. If he busts he doesn't get it all. Same way with Nicco.

I think the plan should be redshirt and develop. In two years lets revisit.

That's pretty much standard procedure for most players.

Sark did the right thing by naming Ewers the starter and basically stashing the kid down the depth chart early on and not letting things get out of control with QB controversy, expectations, hype, rumors, etc...

Ewers by all accounts is a baller so he's the guy for another season or two.

As far as arm strength, that's an overrated measure of how good a qb is or will be. Especially at 18 years old. Put him on a top tier D1 strength program and diet...he'll develop a little pop.

Nah man, no 4 or 5 star QB will sit for 2 yrs, not anymore. If after the redshirt year in Spring they are not already the starter or neck & neck 50/50 to win it in Aug....boom, they will hit the portal.

Reactions: gamecockcat
As I said in the other Arch thread, this is actually playing out the way the Manning family (allegedly) wanted. Ewers gets to deal with all the nasty bitter Big 12 left behind players & crowds & refs. Arch gets to start with a clean slate in '24 as a member of an SEC team, just like his uncles & grandpappy.
Maybe. They said the other QB, Malik, looked all-world.

I'm sure he will be in great demand when he enters the portal, cause he ain't getting about 3rd string
Arch wants to redshirt, so if Ewers struggles, he will get a shot for sure. All you have to do is watch his Spring game.

Nah man, no 4 or 5 star QB will sit for 2 yrs, not anymore. If after the redshirt year in Spring they are not already the starter or neck & neck 50/50 to win it in Aug....boom, they will hit the portal.

Won't Ewers be draft eligible after the 23 season? I could be remembering this wrong, but I think he reclassified, spent a year at OSU, transferred to Texas and was their starter in 22. If that's correct I think he is gone at the end of 23 season.

Absolutely correct, rhis is his 3rd CFB yr. Texas best case scenario is Ewers balls out & leaves early for 2024 draft - clearing the spot for Arch. It gets messy if he struggles or is injured again. In that case he might be pushed to grad transfer elsewhere for '24.

Absolutely correct, rhis is his 3rd CFB yr. Texas best case scenario is Ewers balls out & leaves early for 2024 draft - clearing the spot for Arch. It gets messy if he struggles or is injured again. In that case he might be pushed to grad transfer elsewhere for '24.

According the Mannings Arch was OK sitting a year, or even RSing. But I think that was as long as the plan for sitting was going to last. I don't think Arch was ever consider to have the big arm, he is accurate, understands concepts and is Manning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT