ADVERTISEMENT

Appears Pats hire from within

Terrible move imo. Half the Pats fans hate this, the other half are trying to convince themselves that a linebacker coach makes for a good head coaching hire, in today's offense-driven game.

Last edited:
Reactions: rick64
Should have looked outside and Kraft do his due diligence to at least interview other candidates. If they were going to rid themselves of the Belichick Era, promoting from within for someone already apart of the staff during their worst stretch in decades is risky. Knew the Pats organization were in for some dark years after the Brady & Belichick Era, I believe they could have hired someone with more experience. Even though he is a Belichick guy, thought there was a good chance they hired or interview Vrabel or Brian Flores, solid defense in Minnesota for what he had to work with this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: JumperJack
Don't have an opinion on Mayo.
But problem with Pat's was GM.
They need a good one, and handicap themselves hiring a coach first.

Guess we'll see but the Belichick coaching tree in the NFL hasn't worked out too well. Saban was a DC for him in Cleveland but obviously found his success in the College Game. The NFL coaching tree, Joe Judge, Romeo Crennel, Josh McDaniels, Eric Mangini, Matt Patricia, Brian Flores & Bill O'Brien all have been fired in the NFL. Remains to be seen how long the Brian Daboll era lasts after the terrible season the Giants had.

He wasn’t an nfl head coach he was a cfb head coach.
I'm aware. Also coached Kansas and failed miserably. I made the distinction in my post above on Belichick and how his coaching tree has done in the NFL. Charlie had 1 job in the NFL after his last stint with the Pats and it was the Chiefs OC, won the AFC West in 2010. College is obviously different for many guys like Saban who sucked with the Dolphins and the rest is history.

Jim Schwartz was a scout during Bill's Brown's days, Detroit shitcanned him as HC. He had a fine year as the Browns DC this year until today's spanking, won a SB in Philly but some coaches are not cut out to be a HC. Weis was one one of them. Kliff Kingsbury like Vrabel, not apart of the 'coaching tree' as an assistant but former players also fired. Vrabel has had success as a HC and can again in the right situation. Unless there was some successor clause in the contract for Mayo, it seems odd that Belichick being there over 20 years and even Saban with his tenure in Alabama that the next head coach was named only after a day. I get Bama needing to wrap it up soon for recruiting/transfers and many candidates already hired in a new job but you're talking about the replacement for 2 of the greatest football coaches ever.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT