ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here into Vinyls?

NociHTTP

Senior
Mar 8, 2023
Hubby and I just got a record player and some vinyls the other day. He's REALLY into Status Quo. I'm into Pink Floyd and The Carpenters. Today I was thinking about how people go about putting album art on their wall. Do you wait until the vinly is beyond working condition, and then put the album on the wall? Do you put it up there and some sort of system that allows you to easily remove the vinyl for listening?

Late last night I went down the rabbit hole trying to find music that's very similar to Pink Flloyd, and didn't have much luck. Here are a few bands that I liked listening to:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer (ELP)
Porcupine Tree
Agnes Obel

What sort of bands (on vinyl) are you all into? Sorry for my post reading as a bunch of disguised poll :)

I have several hundred lps. Been collecting since the 60's. A good source is a used vinyl store. In Bowling Green Mellow Matts is the place to go for vinyl. He has alot of new release vinyl and tons of used vinyl. Very good selection and prices plus Matt is a good guy.

Hubby and I just got a record player and some vinyls the other day. He's REALLY into Status Quo. I'm into Pink Floyd and The Carpenters. Today I was thinking about how people go about putting album art on their wall. Do you wait until the vinly is beyond working condition, and then put the album on the wall? Do you put it up there and some sort of system that allows you to easily remove the vinyl for listening?

Late last night I went down the rabbit hole trying to find music that's very similar to Pink Flloyd, and didn't have much luck. Here are a few bands that I liked listening to:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer (ELP)
Porcupine Tree
Agnes Obel

What sort of bands (on vinyl) are you all into? Sorry for my post reading as a bunch of disguised poll :)
I never stopped listening to and buying vinyl (born in '60). Oh sure I slowed down quite a bit when CDs came out in the 80s but never completely abandoned the format. I still have 3 turntables, vintage and modern.

Pink Floyd was and still is one of my favorite bands. Check out King Crimson especially the album "In the Court of King Crimson". Late 60s and one of the first prog rock albums. If you like Floyd then I think you'll like Crimson.

Good stuff, guys! Anyone else here into nostalgia as far as the senses go? I've read that there's something about the 'smell' of opening an old vinyl, feeling the grooves, picking up the needle and placing it (I'm assuming most record players have auto mode). I was this way about collecting baseball cards, another hobby I'd like to get back into but it's so difficult to find authentic unopened boxes of old cards. I can see myself turning the lights out, drinking a beer and just LISTENING.

I never stopped listening to and buying vinyl (born in '60). Oh sure I slowed down quite a bit when CDs came out in the 80s but never completely abandoned the format. I still have 3 turntables, vintage and modern.

Pink Floyd was and still is one of my favorite bands. Check out King Crimson especially the album "In the Court of King Crimson". Late 60s and one of the first prog rock albums. If you like Floyd then I think you'll like Crimson.
They were one of the recommendations I got on Google. The first song I listened to -- can't remember it, sorry -- I didn't like it. Going to check out that album.

I have several hundred lps. Been collecting since the 60's. A good source is a used vinyl store. In Bowling Green Mellow Matts is the place to go for vinyl. He has alot of new release vinyl and tons of used vinyl. Very good selection and prices plus Matt is a good guy.
Used to be a record store in the Highlands called Better Days. I don't think it's around anymore so I go to Book and Music Exchange or Half Priced Books. New vinyl you get the better conditioned records but the an old record in great shape is where it's at. It sounds better.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Good stuff, guys! Anyone else here into nostalgia as far as the senses go? I've read that there's something about the 'smell' of opening an old vinyl, feeling the grooves, picking up the needle and placing it (I'm assuming most record players have auto mode). I was this way about collecting baseball cards, another hobby I'd like to get back into but it's so difficult to find authentic unopened boxes of old cards. I can see myself turning the lights out, drinking a beer and just LISTENING.
Buying albums was an "event" back in the day. At least for me. The album art was also much better. Reading everything including the inserts brings back some great memories.

I didn't realize it but today is National Record Store Day. What a timely thread.

Have about 300 vinyls that I bought mainly while I High School and College in 60's-70's. Have went on several oldies rock cruises and have collected a few signatures on the Covers from various artists. The only one that has some true value money wise is a 1st pressing on the Beatles " Please Please Me" vinyl I own.

I have hundreds of vinyls that go back to my first purchase in the 50's when I bought Johnny Cash's first album. I have three of these first editions, one has never been opened. From this one purchase I built a great library of vinyls for the next 30 years. 90% are old country but I do have some Grams Parsons and EmmyLou Harris thrown in. This was the first Johnny Cash LP.

AORM_2010__97452__03282022121802-3424.jpg

Love vinyl! You're definitely right about the smell. Saw somebody mention King Crimson. Definitely. Also Yes. And these might seem out of left field but you might dig Greta Van Fleet (young guys but total classic rock vibes, the lead singer sounds very much like robert plant) and Muse, which is more modern but there is a common thread in there. Discogs is a great online source for vinyl but it gets expensive with the shipping and up charges. Nothing like grabbing a great first pressing from the local record store for 10 or 15 bucks.

Love vinyl! You're definitely right about the smell. Saw somebody mention King Crimson. Definitely. Also Yes. And these might seem out of left field but you might dig Greta Van Fleet (young guys but total classic rock vibes, the lead singer sounds very much like robert plant) and Muse, which is more modern but there is a common thread in there. Discogs is a great online source for vinyl but it gets expensive with the shipping and up charges. Nothing like grabbing a great first pressing from the local record store for 10 or 15 bucks.
Greta Van Fleet ..... W O W S E R!!!! Thank you! And I love their style of dress. Almost like they came out of the 70's :D

Checking out Muse now.

I have hundreds of vinyls that go back to my first purchase in the 50's when I bought Johnny Cash's first album. I have three of these first editions, one has never been opened. From this one purchase I built a great library of vinyls for the next 30 years. 90% are old country but I do have some Grams Parsons and EmmyLou Harris thrown in. This was the first Johnny Cash LP.

AORM_2010__97452__03282022121802-3424.jpg
A group that I really enjoy, they are sisters. First Aid Kit, they're out of Sweden. If you go on YT they dedicated a song to EmmyLou Harris. She was sitting at one of the tables in the back, crying. They had me crying, too. It's really good stuff. One of their first albums "Stay Gold" will take you straight back to the 1960's and 1970's.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
-been collecting with varying degrees of intensity since the mid 80's.

-discogs is a useful tool for cataloging your collection. See my profile below.

Discogs profile for rudd1
Shared from the Discogs App

Been into it since 2015. It can take up a lot of room and can become expensive, but we all need hobbies, whether it's books, movies, music, painting, planting, whatever. What's wild is, while digital will remain king, you've got young people who are passionately into vinyl and that passion has lead (in some cases) to past generations digging out their old records and buying again. It's become sort of a communal thing. A 19 year old might be craving the new Taylor Swift record while a 55 year old might be searching bins at a flea market for some old gems. Jack White recently made a video urging music labels to begin building factories to make vinyl again. How vinyl became a thing again after decades of being dormant is incredibly neat.

My collection is mostly 60s early 70s stuff.
British invasion Beatles, Stones, Simon & Garfunkel.
This rabbit hole I've gone down has led me to some greats who are ALL from the U.K. My husband thinks it's no big deal. Funny that he's really into learning about the US, and here I'm temporarily obsessed with his home country 🤣

Reactions: christophero
Been into it since 2015. It can take up a lot of room and can become expensive, but we all need hobbies, whether it's books, movies, music, painting, planting, whatever. What's wild is, while digital will remain king, you've got young people who are passionately into vinyl and that passion has lead (in some cases) to past generations digging out their old records and buying again. It's become sort of a communal thing. A 19 year old might be craving the new Taylor Swift record while a 55 year old might be searching bins at a flea market for some old gems. Jack White recently made a video urging music labels to begin building factories to make vinyl again. How vinyl became a thing again after decades of being dormant is incredibly neat.
Some vinyl stores are pretty cool with taps or baristas or other accommodations. When digital music came about, there were people who claimed (1) the digital sound exceeds the ear’s ability to discern the difference and (2) the imperfections of vinyl adds a characteristic that is favored in music listening. I have not had my turntable and tuner up in years. When I recover from this injury, I may do that again.

Reactions: Nightwish84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT