ADVERTISEMENT

Any talk about position groups that need some new blood via portal?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Not much talk about FB with all the BB drama. Anyone seen comments about a position group that may want/need a transfer to shore up? Also, is it wrong to assume transfers at this point of the year would more likely be depth pieces than competing for starting positions?

Reactions: Ky grandpa
They could add a corner and another O-lineman but honestly I think the roster looks pretty solid right now. Dunn is a talented kid that is coming along very well, throw Addison and Hardaway in the mix and we should find a solid boundary corner. We add Mincey at tackle and Ford will be back so that position looks fine, plus we picked up an extra guard with Farmer. Other than that unless they can find a depth piece or two I think this is pretty much it.

They could add a corner and another O-lineman but honestly I think the roster looks pretty solid right now. Dunn is a talented kid that is coming along very well, throw Addison and Hardaway in the mix and we should find a solid boundary corner. We add Mincey at tackle and Ford will be back so that position looks fine, plus we picked up an extra guard with Farmer. Other than that unless they can find a depth piece or two I think this is pretty much it.

I expect a noticable leap from jq. He has all the physical tools in spades. Lacked confidence last year and didn't trust his eyes. Caused him to hesitate driving on some balls.

I'm still waiting on Robinson to hit the portal. We must really lack depth if he's still here. Short of massive injury issues he cannot see snaps.

Not much talk about FB with all the BB drama. Anyone seen comments about a position group that may want/need a transfer to shore up? Also, is it wrong to assume transfers at this point of the year would more likely be depth pieces than competing for starting positions?
Read an article that had every SEC team needs in the portal. Had us listed as needing a corner and a running back.
Jantzen Dunn's and Jaremiah Anglin's spring performances have reduced the coaches' concerns at CB, and our RB room is in good shape with Trayanum, DSK, Patterson, and Wilcox. We could take one more of each from the spring portal, but only if the addition presents a clear upgrade at the position.

I expect Coach Wolfson and Coach Hamdan will produce a clear improvement from our OL. We could use a developmental SEC caliber OT with a good frame and multiple years of eligibility from the portal, but those are not easy to find. What we really need is for Malachi Wood to get up to around 330# and keep improving. And we need a couple of high upside OTs in out 2025 signing class.

We could still use one more WR and one more interior DL with multiple years of eligibility but those are hard to find and grab from the portal.

Last edited:
Reactions: satcheluk
Jantzen Dunn's and Jaremiah Anglin's spring performances have reduced the coaches' concerns at CB, and our RB room is in good shape with Trayanum, DSK, Patterson, and Wilcox. We could take one more of each from the spring portal, but only if the addition presents a clear upgrade at the position.

I expect Coach Wolfson and Coach Hamdan will produce a clear improvement from our OL. We could use a developmental SEC caliber OT with a good frame and multiple years of eligibility from the portal, but those are not easy to find. What we really need is for Malachi Wood to get up to around 330# and keep improving. And we need a couple of high upside OTs in out 2025 signing class.

We could still use one more WR and one more interior DL with multiple years of eligibility but those are hard to find and grab from the portal.
Agree with everything except receiver. Receiver room is deep and now it looks like Gilmore is too good to sit on top of what we already have. In fact I'm fearful Porter my transfer since we got Cottrell and they are recruiting at least another X type receiver in the 2025 class.

Agree with everything except receiver. Receiver room is deep and now it looks like Gilmore is too good to sit on top of what we already have. In fact I'm fearful Porter my transfer since we got Cottrell and they are recruiting at least another X type receiver in the 2025 class.
I only said we could use one more receiver with multiple years of eligibility. I did not say the receiver room is not deeper than before, or that Gilmore is not a good player. In the SEC, where the passing game is a meal ticket, you ideally need even stronger receiver depth than we have now. Look at Ole Miss' and TN's WR depth. That's why Stoops tried to get McCulley and Fleming out of the portal. That's your confirmation that our coaches think they need more WR depth. I doubt Porter transfers, since he likes Coach Shorts and took his name out of the portal after Shorts got here. But if he decides to go, that would happen because he hasn't been able to win playing time. Why is Gilmore already ahead of Porter? It's the SEC. Competition is the name of the game.

Reactions: THE_OAK
Coach Stoops was asked about scholarship numbers after the practice/pseudo- Spring game on Saturday, and he stated they will need to address portal b/c they are currently over the scholarship limit heading into the fall by (I think 4). So, they expect some attrition, so portal targets will certainly change based on that attrition as well.

Developmental SEC tackle with multiple years of eligibility…yup

Anfernee Crease, Offensive Tackle, commits to Kentucky​

Or the current website is wrong.

Or worse, he has regressed.
Last Fall, as stated, Yenser/Coen were high in their praise of Wood's progress. Mentioned he was 300lb+, had been working with M. Cox and commented M. Cox "had taken him(Wood) under his(Cox) wing." I commented pre-Spring one thing I'd be looking at would be Wood's progress...was that true or so much coach-talk? Saw on TOS that Wood had been moved from LT to RT where he was running 2nd team behind Mincey. That would be a positive IMO. Don't forget this player is still a RS-freshman.

RB Andrew Paul said he is out at GA. A strong runner at 5-11 220. Any chance we pursue? Also, Cole Lanter hits the portal for us.

Hate to see him in the portal. He was looking very good as a frosh in 22, tore his ACL in fall camp. Was released medically for fall camp 23, just wasn't the same player as pre injury, not a surprise, so played very little. But this spring he was looking more like his old self, but was running at number 3, Brandon Robinson is on the verge of being released was the starter in 23 until injured, and 2 more backs will report this summer. Really feel like he was going to break out this year, but just so many snaps to go around. He is from Texas, so wouldn't be shocked if he went back, but with Texas and ATM in the SEC it will likely be one of the other programs or according to SEC rules he has to sit a year.

Hate to see him in the portal. He was looking very good as a frosh in 22, tore his ACL in fall camp. Was released medically for fall camp 23, just wasn't the same player as pre injury, not a surprise, so played very little. But this spring he was looking more like his old self, but was running at number 3, Brandon Robinson is on the verge of being released was the starter in 23 until injured, and 2 more backs will report this summer. Really feel like he was going to break out this year, but just so many snaps to go around. He is from Texas, so wouldn't be shocked if he went back, but with Texas and ATM in the SEC it will likely be one of the other programs or according to SEC rules he has to sit a year.
Didn't he rush 4 times for 44 yards in the spring game?

Didn't he rush 4 times for 44 yards in the spring game?

He may have, I didn't see it. He was looking great before the injury, took him a year to physically recover and another too trust it. He has potential to be a number 1 back, but UGA signed 3 RB and brought in one from the portal, 7 on scholarship and a walk on who played alot so someone was leaving. Dell McGee, former UGA RB coach, taking the GA State job pretty much sealed it was Paul. If he goes SEC he has to sit a year, so I think he likely heads back home to one of the non SEC Texas schools with an outside shot of joining McGee.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT