ADVERTISEMENT

Another "tweak" coming from Cal??

Originally posted by C1180:
Originally posted by StillBlue83:

Originally posted by rexcat:

Originally posted by docholiday51:

A stratified hyperbolic paraboloid,o.k. old timers tell me what that is
1-3-1 zone. I believe it was invented by Rupp. He dubbed it a "stratified hyperbolic paraboloid" man-to-man defense because he abhorred zones.
'In a game against Tennessee Rupp used a 1-3-1 zone trap. It was the first time anyone had used a defensive formation like it. Kentucky won the game easily and afterward Rupp was asked to describe the new defense, he explained it this way, "It was a transitional and shifting man-to-man backed by a hyperbolic paraboloid between the ball and the basket." When asked to comment UT coach Ray Mears just grunted, "It was a good defense. That's all I've got to say."'
Rupp did not invent the 1-3-1 zone and if not for the constant urging by Joe B. Hall would have not used it with the Runts. Rupp did not like zone defenses but he disliked losing even more so after he tried it after urging from Joe B. he went with it because he was winning with it. He however could not admit that he was playing a zone defense so he called it that strange name.

The UT coach Mears was so impressed by the 1-3-1 that he made it his primary defense for years there after.
Did you miss the word "trap"? Don't think that quote said Rupp invented the 1-3-1, it was talking about the trapping with it. If that is incorrect then someone should edit his Wiki page as it also states that Coach Rupp was one of the first coaches to use trapping with it.

innocent0009.r191677.gif

Well let me re-phrase that. Use playing dangling over his head to drive more, shoot it in the lane more. Is that better ?? You can ask / beg these kids until you are blue in the face, start using less minutes / more pine as a motivation to get your point across seems to work pretty damn well.

Originally posted by SilentsAreGolden:

Originally posted by Big Blue in 502:
Silence.........who the heck is that girl in that gif????? Geez
Carrie Keagan.
I'm a fan. Didn't know she was on Red Eye a few years ago. Had I known, I might have tuned in once in a while.

Check out the dress she sports in this interview with Craig Ferguson.

Yowzers

Originally posted by wild mandu:
Probably just something to boost Andrew. Cal is a MASTER with that kind of stuff.

Remember how the first tweak was just for Andrew to pass more? It wasn't really a big change in strategy, more of a mind game.
This was my first thought.

Originally posted by Son_Of_Saul:
Originally posted by SilentsAreGolden:

Originally posted by Big Blue in 502:
Silence.........who the heck is that girl in that gif????? Geez
Carrie Keagan.
I'm a fan. Didn't know she was on Red Eye a few years ago. Had I known, I might have tuned in once in a while.

Check out the dress she sports in this interview with Craig Ferguson.
She's been on Red Eye a lot over the years. There are some better GIFs than that one too. She fits in perfectly with that show. Very free about displaying her assets. Funny too.

1-3-1 zone. I believe it was invented by Rupp. He dubbed it a "stratified hyperbolic paraboloid" man-to-man defense because he abhorred zones.
'In a game against Tennessee Rupp used a 1-3-1 zone trap. It was the first time anyone had used a defensive formation like it. Kentucky won the game easily and afterward Rupp was asked to describe the new defense, he explained it this way, "It was a transitional and shifting man-to-man backed by a hyperbolic paraboloid between the ball and the basket." When asked to comment UT coach Ray Mears just grunted, "It was a good defense. That's all I've got to say."'
Rupp did not invent the 1-3-1 zone and if not for the constant urging by Joe B. Hall would have not used it with the Runts. Rupp did not like zone defenses but he disliked losing even more so after he tried it after urging from Joe B. he went with it because he was winning with it. He however could not admit that he was playing a zone defense so he called it that strange name.

The UT coach Mears was so impressed by the 1-3-1 that he made it his primary defense for years there after.
Well done folks,Coach Rupp was tweaking waaay before it's time

Originally posted by Rhavicc:
He could possibly be trying to find ways to make Andrew emulate Ulis' offensive play-style to a degree? Set up the rest of the team better. He usually only plays from the top of the perimeter, and the offense doesn't move around as much as it does when Tyler is on the floor, it's usually a stand and pass type offense that doesn't have all the hand-offs, screens, drive and kicks that it does with the second platoon. He's going to want to keep the first platoon with their own identity, but he may be finding ways to move Andrew around so the offense if forced to space and flow effectively.
Good observation..... It seems that Andrew just stands at the top of the Key... Passes the ball and gets it back.. He needs to drive more and look to score more at the goal.. He's got so many players to pass to, that he doesn't look to score and I can see that... He is getting more assist this year and he was looking to do that.... The players need to look for Andrew more too... They get the ball and it doesn't come back out, unless it's by Johnson... The rest will shoot regardless and usually have to get the rebound to finish it off... Andrew is walking it up the floor, instead of running it up the floor and getting his team in an up tempo on the offensive end, as well as they do it on the defensive end....

One common thing Cal has brought up off and on the last two years is his frustration at certain players not going hard all the time. That one thing really gets him. He mentions it a lot in one way or another. Basically saying he wants all his players competing at the highest level. If not, sit down.

Defense and playing harder than your opponent are his two pet peeves. He doesn't seem to say a whole lot compared to those two things.

Glad to see a few Red Eye watchers here. Am always worried they'll pull the show given it's horrid time-slot. Thank God for DVR.

Maybe setting more screens so they can come off the screens with a nice open look. From there they could shoot or drive depending upon what the defense give them. Just a wild ass guess though.

It's actually a "stratified TRANSITIONAL hyperbolic paraboloid"...Rupp taught geometry and that's what he called his 1-3-1 zone!

We know Cal said during this off period with no classes he was going to focus on offense so my guess is some sort of adjustment there. If he can get the O going half as good as the D this team will be scary. Not that they aren't already. Just ask UCLA.

I really hope you guys are right about this being a tweak of the guards and not a TWERK of them instead.

I have no problem with him getting animated on the sideline at times, but if he twerked the guards while they're sitting on the bench I think I'd have to avert my eyes.

Originally posted by jimlowe7:

It's actually a "stratified TRANSITIONAL hyperbolic paraboloid"...Rupp taught geometry and that's what he called his 1-3-1 zone!
It was indeed,, it probably helped the Runts win a couple of games late in the year. On a seperate note,this years team is sort of the anti-Runts but the season is taking on the same feel as that one did.As it was in that year you just don't want this bunch to lose because they are unique and fun to watch.Both teams made/make you proud to be a Cat fan.

Originally posted by BoulderCat:
We know Cal said during this off period with no classes he was going to focus on offense so my guess is some sort of adjustment there. If he can get the O going half as good as the D this team will be scary. Not that they aren't already. Just ask UCLA.
Kentucky has the personnel to become a great offensive team. Lyles, Aaron, Tyler, Devon, Karl, Andrew, Dakari - all of them are extremely gifted individual players. The only think possibly holding this group back will be the tedious grind of the SEC schedule. I don't know if they'll be challenged enough facing 21 straight games against lackluster talent.

Originally posted by Son_Of_Saul:
Originally posted by LDaniel7:
ec
I hope the Poythress angle comes true next year. Would absolutely love to have him back.

Good job on the photo shop.
Thanks, Son!

I expected people to like that a little more, lol.

Thanks for the support.

Aha!

I was right.

The last time I watched an interview with him I thought I saw a tweakle in his eye.

When rolling the balls out, put a little spin on them. Make the twins move a little. ;)

5,331 views of this thread. Cal occupying heads.
wink.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/3 7:03 PM by UKrazycat2

Adolph's description of the 1-3-1 zone

i think he taught them to secure the 3 pt streak a lot earlier in games from now on instead of waiting until the last three minutes.

marcus at the point, i've been waiting for it.

lee
lyles
wcs
towns
johnson

he apologized to the guards and promptly benched them all. they are now shooting 100%.

This post was edited on 1/4 6:51 PM by hotelblue

Did you miss the word "trap"? Don't think that quote said Rupp invented the 1-3-1, it was talking about the trapping with it. If that is incorrect then someone should edit his Wiki page as it also states that Coach Rupp was one of the first coaches to use trapping with it.
Having the biggest guy on the team, Tommy Kron at 6' 5" who was a guard, play the point on the 'trap' was just brilliant. It was just a pleasure watching that team perform, so much fun.

It wasn't Joe Hall that sold Coach Rupp on the 1-3-1, it was Harry Lancaster. Lancaster had learned it at a coaching clinic from Chuck Noe, and had been teaching the freshman team this defense since the fall of 1963. Further, Rupp didn't just start playing it in the 1965-66 season. In fact, Kentucky also played the 1-3-1 quite a bit in both the 1963-64 and 1964-65 seasons.

Booker and Ulis basically said the tweak was Cal telling the guards to attack the rim more + stop flopping hoping for a call.

Not exactly eye-opening lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT