ADVERTISEMENT

Another oil refinery accident...

kybobcat

May 29, 2001
In the shadow of Bowman Field
Lightning Strikes Valero Texas City Refinery, Fire Erupts

Lightning struck an electrical transformer at the Valero refinery in Texas City Thursday morning, causing a fire.

Officials with Texas City Office of Emergency Management (OEM) told Houston's ABC affiliate Channel 13 that the lightning strike occurred just before 6:20 am CST this morning. Firefighters on the scene told local media that there is currently oil burning inside of a container at the facility.

Derek Duckett, Texas City Emergency Management Coordinator, told the Houston Chronicle that firefighters can't douse the fire with water due to the potential danger from electrical shock. They are now containing the fire to the transformer and are allowing the blaze to burn itself out.

w645.png

Source: Click2Houston.com

Better top off the gas tank.:(

Absolutely infuriating that I'm paying $3.30 for gas with oil creeping under $40.

I understand that there's other factors involved, but I was unamused the other week when gas went up $.70 in six hours.

Absolutely infuriating that I'm paying $3.30 for gas with oil creeping under $40.

I understand that there's other factors involved, but I was unamused the other week when gas went up $.70 in six hours.
Those CEOs have to get that bonus somehow. Just think of it as your american duty

100% to do with EPA. Everybody and their brother would be building these things if they could.

[laughing]

Currently only $2.35/gallon here, and that's when my wife chooses to purchase such stuff. We'll probably experience a price increase, but guess who isn't the least bit worried?

Adios Amigo

(as AustinTXCat rides away on his healthy, non-polluting bicycle).

[laughing]

Currently only $2.35/gallon here, and that's when my wife chooses to purchase such stuff. We'll probably experience a price increase, but guess who isn't the least bit worried?

Adios Amigo

Huh? I can't ride my bicycle to work as I wear a shirt and tie to work and have a briefcase and change of clothes for the gym so its not really feasible. But if I could manage that I happen to work 15 miles from where I live and I have to be there at 6:30 am every morning, so I have no desire to wake up at 4:00 in the morning to go to work, so riding a bike is not an option for me. Not to mention I live in Ohio which is like 3 degrees in January and February. Congrats on having the opportunity to ride a bike to work, but I don't really understand your weird tone about it, like you are condescending about it as if riding to work is a realistic option for most people. You really should just feel lucky.

Huh? I can't ride my bicycle to work as I wear a shirt and tie to work and have a briefcase and change of clothes for the gym so its not really feasible. But if I could manage that I happen to work 15 miles from where I live and I have to be there at 6:30 am every morning, so I have no desire to wake up at 4:00 in the morning to go to work, so riding a bike is not an option for me. Not to mention I live in Ohio which is like 3 degrees in January and February. Congrats on having the opportunity to ride a bike to work, but I don't really understand your weird tone about it, like you are condescending about it as if riding to work is a realistic option for most people. You really should just feel lucky.
See the last cycling thread and chitown87's highly evolved comments directed at me.

TIA.

Reactions: UKGrad93
[laughing]

Adios Amigo

Yes, everyone knows you ride a bike. It's just that we all wish you did it without a helmet on the interstate.
images
This you?

Last time I went to the gas station it was like 2.10. Kinda wish I actually had stuff to do where I live with the gas being so cheap/. Alas there isn't shit to do.

OIL COMPANIES NEED SUBSIDIES!!!

THEY'RE NO LONGER MAKING BILLIONS IN PROFITS!!

Porch light definitely going on tonight.

Please keep these struggling companies in your prayers.

Congrats on having the opportunity to ride a bike to work, but I don't really understand your weird tone about it, like you are condescending about it as if riding to work is a realistic option for most people. You really should just feel lucky.
He's condescending in every thread, which is why I made the comments that I did in the cycling thread. Dude is not right in the head.

Reactions: ALL IN YOUR FACE
OIL COMPANIES NEED SUBSIDIES!!!

THEY'RE NO LONGER MAKING BILLIONS IN PROFITS!!

Porch light definitely going on tonight.

Please keep these struggling companies in your prayers.

The only oil & gas companies not struggling right now are refiners. There have been tens of thousands of layoffs in the service sector and now it's starting to hit the corporate levels of E&P companies.

[laughing]

Adios Amigo

Maybe you didn't get the memo. This is a thread where we bellyache about the price of gas being close to the same as it has been for about a decade now.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
The only oil & gas companies not struggling right now are refiners. There have been tens of thousands of layoffs in the service sector and now it's starting to hit the corporate levels of E&P companies.

So what did they do with all that cash?

Are these layoffs needed or is it just a way to make sure Mr. Corner Office still gets his fat bonus?

I don't trust them at all.

I'm going to bellyache! Until gas gets to around $1 I'm going to gripe and bad mouth oil companies as well as investors. While I absolutely hate govt interference, energy is the one area I wouldn't mind seeing under govt control. I get pissed just thinking about the price of a gallon of gas, a kwh of electricity, a unit of natural gas and a gallon of water. It's one thing for people to get wealthy manufacturing and selling stuff we don't have to have in order to live, but to get rich ripping off the public because they have to purchase from your monopoly stinks......

That's my rant for this evening...

It’s feasible, move to somewhere that’s more bike friendly. I’m about to do exactly that. Pretty simple.

It’s feasible, move to somewhere that’s more bike friendly. I’m about to do exactly that. Pretty simple.

I was wondering what the hell this conversation was and if I was having amnesia and saw it’s from NINE YEARS AGO. I still don’t ride a bike, because I’m not 12.

• Haha
Reactions: roguemocha
I was wondering what the hell this conversation was and if I was having amnesia and saw it’s from NINE YEARS AGO. I still don’t ride a bike, because I’m not 12.
Riding bikes is actually fun as shit at any age. Plus, no worries about parking or DUIs, dog can get some exercise too.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
You can get a DUI on a bicycle. You probably have to be begging for it but it's possible.

You can get a DUI on a bicycle. You probably have to be begging for it but it's possible.
True but as you said you have to be a total moron to get charged with that one. If you just say yeah you’re right I’ll lock it up right here, I’ve never known someone to get one.

The one gal I know in KW that got one on a bike was being an uppity bitch to the cop and daring him to hit her with a DUI on a bike because her lawyer would have his badge.

He called that bluff and she got a DUI and he still has his badge.

Riding bikes is actually fun as shit at any age. Plus, no worries about parking or DUIs, dog can get some exercise too.

Currently trying to teach my 6 yr old daughter how to ride a bike and she’s being a real asshole about it. Might make her read this thread and see if she changes her mind tbh

• Haha
Reactions: roguemocha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT