ADVERTISEMENT

Another interesting pro decision yesterday

qwesley

All-American
Feb 5, 2003
Gordon Sargent is ready for one more ride.
The standout Vanderbilt junior announced Thursday that he will return to Vanderbilt for his senior season, deferring his performance benefits from eclipsing the PGA TOUR University Accelerated 20-point threshold.
Sargent was eligible to accept PGA TOUR membership this June but will wait until he turns professional in June 2025. He will then have exempt TOUR membership through the 2026 PGA TOUR season.
"I am excited to announce that I’ll be returning to Vanderbilt for my senior year in 2024-25,” said Sargent. “It’s been an honor to represent this university alongside my teammates and coaches, and I look forward to continuing to compete - and further my education - at this amazing place that has given so much to me.”

link

Deferring (additional) wealth for one whole year to enjoy college. Hope it does not ruin his life.

Hard to suffer a career ender playing golf.
You have to take care of your body to avoid injury. That's what the greats do.

7xpax0qemf901.jpg

Shawn Livingston suffered the most gruesome and high profile injury and still ended up winning multiple championships for the Warriors. For football that is an argument but not basketball. It hasn’t happened and with NIL it is even less of an argument.

WCS and TJ passed up mid first projections to come back and both have said they were happy they did, again before NIL. I am just challenging this argument now that there is absolutely no decision/debate. Being rich in college sounds pretty fun.

Doesn’t happen in basketball either but the he has to go for injury excuse is thrown around like 10-15% of all players suffer career ending injuries every season. More likely to be involved in an accident that does something to end your playing days than you are suffering an injury. Injuries heal like damn near 100% if not 100%.

I wonder if there might be some different life circumstances between the average kid who plays D1 golf at Vanderbilt and the average kid making this choice in football or basketball.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT