ADVERTISEMENT

Amateur Athletics is officially dead.

The discussion is college athletics and not just about UK. Also, I am talking about a meaningful degree not just something that keeps a player eligible to play sports. I will admit that according to this site https://gtswarm.com/threads/graduation-rates-by-conference.27801/ the rate for football is higher than I thought, but I am willing to bet that many of those degrees aren't worth the paper they are printed on. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Knowing this, I still think athletes are giving the universities way more than they have been getting in return which is the reason why they will get paid. If coaches can earn millions per year, players deserve more than $133k+ per 4 years of services.
So in other words, you believe our athletes aren't real students?

My take is that it will separate the bad coaches from the good coaches. A team like boston college can spend there budget on mcdaag level talent and still lose because of the coaching and culture.

I’m just completely mystified why anyone would care if a college player is paid to play a sport. In what way does that negatively or positively affect you in any way whatsoever? And some are legit pissed about it. Like why?
Its...its...its the principle!

A principle that struggles to be articulated and seemingly applies in few to no other situations but one fiercely held if wildly inconsistently so.

In some cases this principle seems to be little more than a backdoor way to bash and trash UK some more though the former guy has hit the trail that was the last justification for doing so.

So in other words, you believe our athletes aren't real students?
It doesn't matter what I believe, but since you asked. I believe universities are making an extreme amount of money on the backs of players and they should be sharing a lot more with those players than what they have been. You can debate this all you want, but it doesn't matter anymore because a decision has been rendered.

Its...its...its the principle!

A principle that struggles to be articulated and seemingly applies in few to no other situations but one fiercely held if wildly inconsistently so.

In some cases this principle seems to be little more than a backdoor way to bash and trash UK some more though the former guy has hit the trail that was the last justification for doing so.
It has nothing to do with principle. IT IS JEALOUSY AND ENVY!!!! Athletes getting paid or not paid doesn't affect your life at all. However, it does provide players with compensation for providing a product that plenty of people are willing to pay money to see.

I’m just completely mystified why anyone would care if a college player is paid to play a sport. In what way does that negatively or positively affect you in any way whatsoever? And some are legit pissed about it. Like why?
So you're ready for non BIG and SEC schools to fold? No way they'll be able to compete with the TV money the SEC and B1G generate. WKU is going after a player that UK is? Blow them away with a 12 million dollar offer.

We went from let them sign a ball for 15 bucks, to directly getting paid from schools. What is it they say about that slope?

It has nothing to do with principle. IT IS JEALOUSY AND ENVY!!!! Athletes getting paid or not paid doesn't affect your life at all. However, it does provide players with compensation for providing a product that plenty of people are willing to pay money to see.
RunninRichie should change his username to LaughinRichie because laughing seems to be about all he is capable of doing when his nose isn't up Cal's butt.

It has nothing to do with principle. IT IS JEALOUSLY!!!! Athletes getting paid or not paid doesn't affect your life at all. However, it does provide players with compensation for providing a product that plenty of people are willing to pay money to see.
Yep. Fans do get reamed on costs when they want to attend a game and that sucks but that has nothing to do with athletes getting paid. I think at the start of this, traditional fans thought players would get maybe $5,000 - $15,000 for autographs and various appearances. When it became hundreds of thousands with a few asking for a million plus, fan jealousy took over. "How dare these 19 and 20 year olds get handed that much money to play a game while I have a so-so job and have to pay $15 for watered down soda and beer!" is what many traditional fans actually want to say imo.

You choose what to get upset about. Does it make sense there's 19 year old streamers who sit in a video game chair everyday, play games and talk, and somehow get a million people to watch them and now they're making hundreds of thousands of dollars as social media influencers? No. Am I going to be mad about it? Lol no. I say good for them and good for these athletes.

So you're ready for non BIG and SEC schools to fold? No way they'll be able to compete with the TV money the SEC and B1G generate. WKU is going after a player that UK is? Blow them away with a 12 million dollar offer.

We went from let them sign a ball for 15 bucks, to directly getting paid from schools. What is it they say about that slope?

I’m sorry but since when has UK not been blowing away offers from WKU? Like since 1920? In the 80s you couldn’t even be on tv unless you went to like one of 15 schools. UCLAs freshman team in the 70s was better than most other schools teams period they were so disproportionately stacked. Since when has it been an even playing field? And why is it that paying players sends it all crashing down? What about a school being able to pay a coach 5 times as much as another school for the last 50 years. Do you think WKU could afford to pay their coach 9 million a year like UK has been able to for the last 5 years? Doesn’t being able to afford the best coaches cause an uneven playing field?

Yep. Fans do get reamed on costs when they want to attend a game and that sucks but that has nothing to do with athletes getting paid. I think at the start of this, traditional fans thought players would get maybe $5,000 - $15,000 for autographs and various appearances. When it became hundreds of thousands with a few asking for a million plus, fan jealousy took over. "How dare these 19 and 20 year olds get handed that much money to play a game while I have a so-so job and have to pay $15 for watered down soda and beer!" is what many traditional fans actually want to say imo.

You choose what to get upset about. Does it make sense there's 19 year old streamers who sit in a video game chair everyday, play games and talk, and somehow get a million people to watch them and now they're making hundreds of thousands of dollars as social media influencers? No. Am I going to be mad about it? Lol no. I say good for them and good for these athletes.
Your comments are spot on. I have one more question? Does it make sense for coaches to be the highest earners on campus? If you are going to go after the golden goose, you should also go after the ones who are benefiting from it.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I’m among those who, if I want to watch athletes who get paid, will watch the NFL, professional tennis, MLB and the NBA. What you chose to do with your time and resources doesn’t concern me.

You haven’t watch a UK game in 2 years? Was it because you were upset that Oscar got a lot of money to come back?

• Haha
Reactions: LmdCat and Zissou87
Good. I see no reason to keep pretending that they’re real students now.

They’ve now officially admitted that this is professional sports, so they might as well carry that to its logical conclusion. Get rid of the requirement that they be enrolled in classes (but still allow them to do so if they choose) and reclassify them as what they really are: just employees playing for the University sponsored pro team.

Then maybe schools can finally get rid of those bogus “jock” courses that exist only to keep athletes eligible ..and have long served as an embarrassing blight on the reputation of American universities.
Americas universities have embarrassed themselves plenty without sports.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Are people not aware that the NCAA and all of its member institutions violated anti trust laws and are settling lawsuits that they’re almost guaranteed to lose that would be 4 to 5 times more money if they didn’t settle.

Are people not aware that the NCAA and all of its member institutions violated anti trust laws and are settling lawsuits that they’re almost guaranteed to lose that would be 4 to 5 times more money if they didn’t settle.

Ya people in general don’t realize how awful and predatory universities are period. One of the greediest and most ridiculous industries in the world. They just generally get a pass because of peoples emotional attachment to them and their time spent at them. The adjunct professor scam theyve been running for the last 20 years where it’s almost impossible to get hired on as full time faculty employee, the ridiculous hike in tuition, the offering of major they know produce no job prospects to unsuspecting students, the initial scholarship offers for 1st year students that end by your 3rd year, etc. I mean the list is endless. They are absolute scum. For decades they’ve been offering “free tuition” to college players that generate them tens of millions and now some of those players will get a fraction of the money and people are up in arms about it. It’s insane how protected by society universities are.

It doesn't matter what I believe, but since you asked. I believe universities are making an extreme amount of money on the backs of players and they should be sharing a lot more with those players than what they have been. You can debate this all you want, but it doesn't matter anymore because a decision has been rendered.
I believe players should have always been allowed to make money off their names from the beginning. If they appear in commercials, sign some autographs or sell a jersey with their name and number on the back, the players should be allowed to pocket that money.

In the past, the NCAA claimed they wanted to curtail cheating by not allowing such benefits, but we know from the FBI investigation into college BB from a few years ago, many of these players were not being taken advantage of and were actually being compensated quiet nicely behind closed doors.

It's true that the universities and the NCAA have profited off these athletes for decades now. But with NIL being introduced, I'm not sure that revenue sharing at a large scale is the answer. If it doesn't hurt other smaller college sports teams and programs, then I guess it will work. But I have the feeling this is going to blow up in everyone's faces eventually.

I believe players should have always been allowed to make money off their names from the beginning. If they appear in commercials, sign some autographs or sell a jersey with their name and number on the back, the players should be allowed to pocket that money.

In the past, the NCAA claimed they wanted to curtail cheating by not allowing such benefits, but we know from the FBI investigation into college BB from a few years ago, many of these players were not being taken advantage of and were actually being compensated quiet nicely behind closed doors.

It's true that the universities and the NCAA have profited off these athletes for decades now. But with NIL being introduced, I'm not sure that revenue sharing at a large scale is the answer. If it doesn't hurt other smaller college sports teams and programs, then I guess it will work. But I have the feeling this is going to blow up in everyone's faces eventually.
If you are correct in that this blows up in everyone's faces, it will simply be the price for greed. After screwing over the players for so many years, the pendulum has swung the other way. As usual, when a correction is made, it tends be much more disruptive than it would have been if the greedy universities and coaches hadn't been fleecing players for so long. When a forced correction occurs, the ruling tends to have a punitive component to it.

My take is that it will separate the bad coaches from the good coaches. A team like boston college can spend there budget on mcdaag level talent and still lose because of the coaching and culture.
The power programs will have budgets larger than the what NCAA gives schools. They will spend their own money and still dominate.

Economy man. I can’t think of very many fresh out of college or just stating odd in life than could even dream of bring a home. Avg home price in Kentucky is 246k. A QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS. Avg household income 60k. There’s your answer. It would take nearly five years to pay off. And that’s with interest and no other bills.

I forgot to mention this was 1982-83 We got a 12% mortgage, after tracking it down from 18%. I was living today's economy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT