ADVERTISEMENT

Amateur Athletics is officially dead.

Well if there’s a better option they’re free to pursue it but no I don’t favor giving out more than a full scholarship. That’s what college sports is supposed to be.
That’s what we have been programmed to think it should be…I think that’s the difficult part.

But nowhere else can you find anything close to that where a legal adult is the reason that their company makes millions, is making millions for their boss through TV deals, making millions for their boss through merchandise sales, etc and we feel like a free education and meals is fair compensation while their coach makes $5-$10 million annually.

Everyone is looking at this through the UK lens. What about EKU? What about the NAIA level? FCS? What about those kids who the scholarship and education IS actually the goal? Those programs who draw very small attendance and no tv exposure but the kids get an actual free education? Will they survive? There are actually many, I mean MANY college athletes who get an education solely because of their athletic scholarship. They are never going pro. They aren’t all AD and John Wall guys. Not all athletic programs have huge budgets and massive fan bases.

Well if there’s a better option they’re free to pursue it but no I don’t favor giving out more than a full scholarship. That’s what college sports is supposed to be.

Then let's stop putting college sports on tv. Let's just limit it to in person.

If the players can't get money then the greedy tv people don't deserve it.

Let's also slash the max coaching salary to 100k a year. If the players don't deserve it then the coaches don't either.

• Sad
Reactions: ruppsrunt66
It's not feasible for to pay everyone in society lots of money. But that's what a large segment of people seem to want. It doesn't fix anything.

I'll say this, if the athletes are accepting money, they need to be treated like professionals and act like them. If they don't perform, they should lose the money.
That isn't how professional sports works either.

If my Raiders draft or pick up a bum in free agency there is no claw back for poor performance we will just have to release them as soon as it does less harm than good on our cap number.

"Fairness" you slay me...🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 My "comfort" 😅😅😅😅😅😅😅

I may remember you now...but I doubt it, I normally do not waste my time remembering drivel and liars.

You're the dweeb that always stated posters typed words they never typed ..... Yeah, you just make it up... Then, call them on the words you make up. (And then, some dufus "likes" it. Never fails...)

Be Proud... you seem to have found your life's calling... 😆 😂

(Since 2005 anyway....) 😆

I try to tell guys like that, you were picked on because of your purple hair, it wasn’t personal. You don’t have to carry it throughout life. Reject mental illness and it all goes away.

Instead we’re asked to accept them tube jeans and all. Crazy world.

I’m always one that hopes it works out for them but it never seems to.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Great, Im looking forward to 5 years from now when a women's basketball team finishes higher than their schools men's team in the NCAA tournament and starts saying they should be paid more because they are better at basketball. It just great how we use "equality" now to isolate situations and try to make them equal, that will definitely work out well.

Hopefully it's the "death" of the bureaucratic, discriminatory, two faced, low life, no good NCAA!!!!

I'm just curious as to HOW the schools decide to break down the money distribution. It should just go to the sports that ACTUALLY make money. Which in turn will hurt all of the non-revenue sports and athletes.

Unfortunately this deal entrenched the NCAA and was basically the only way it survived. Which is exactly why it went down the way it did.

Jmo

You can round down to zero the number that care about true amateur sports in western civilization and probably the world.

Evidence?

Check out the crowds and coverage of uni sports in Europe where such exists.

The students and parents don't bother much less anyone else. The kids are just out there busting ass and competing to do it with like ten people watching.

What we had was revenue athletics where it was fine for them to be lucrative for everyone but the performers.

For them a facade was constructed that maintained varying degrees of plausible deniability that the athletes were not being paid for largely completely intangible and subjective reasons people pretend to care about but would about literally go to war to prevent equal application of.

I know they say academic and sports money is separate but I’m sure they have creative ways to move as needed.
For sure. My point was I don’t have to buy tickets, I don’t have to buy merchandise, I don’t have to pay for steaming services. I have the power to opt out of all of that.

Reactions: natchezrule
I'm about done with it. I gave up on pro sports because of the greed. Not really wanting to go through this crap with college now. When's the first strike going to happen? They should have just let college stay the way it was and if you didn't like it, go play in a developmental league or overseas. Nothing was stopping that. I hope the whole system comes crashing down.

Then...stop watching. Pretty sure I remember some of your posts after the kneeling. Weren't you done then? How many times have you been done? Also your last sentence is so dramatic and reminds me of politics now. "My guy didn't win so I hope the whole system crashes and burns! I'm mad and I want vengeance!" You ain't a Batman villain so stop being a Batman villain. Already predicting strikes, mad at pros for wanting as much money as they can get to perform, hoping everything crashes...tell me you're older and stuck in your ways without telling me you're older and stuck in your ways.

SCOTUS ruled 9-0. The NCAA did nothing to help while hindering college athletes by rules and decisions that largely made little sense. If the NCAA were taken to court, they'd likely lose. If a conference were taken to court before this decision, they'd likely lose. The ball is fully in the hands of the athletes we watch. No reason to be jealous, mad, or want the world to burn because of that.

Reactions: Zissou87 and JDHoss
For sure. My point was I don’t have to buy tickets, I don’t have to buy merchandise, I don’t have to pay for steaming services. I have the power to opt out of all of that.
Those sound like good choices. I think I will join you

Reactions: gojvc
Are you offended that the players are getting paid? I don’t understand how it has affected fans.

Then...stop watching. Pretty sure I remember some of your posts after the kneeling. Weren't you done then? How many times have you been done? Also your last sentence is so dramatic and reminds me of politics now. "My guy didn't win so I hope the whole system crashes and burns! I'm mad and I want vengeance!" You ain't a Batman villain so stop being a Batman villain. Already predicting strikes, mad at pros for wanting as much money as they can get to perform, hoping everything crashes...tell me you're older and stuck in your ways without telling me you're older and stuck in your ways.

SCOTUS ruled 9-0. The NCAA did nothing to help while hindering college athletes by rules and decisions that largely made little sense. If the NCAA were taken to court, they'd likely lose. If a conference were taken to court before this decision, they'd likely lose. The ball is fully in the hands of the athletes we watch. No reason to be jealous, mad, or want the world to burn because of that.
The only people I know who said they stopped watching the NFL weren't fans to begin with. My BIL was one. He whined and cried about the kneeling and said he was done, but his knowledge of the game didn't go beyond knowing that a TD was worth 6 points and a FG worth 3 points, and probably couldn't name half the teams in the league.

Reactions: Zissou87
Not every player is Anthony Davis or John Wall. Are the contributions of the 4th string FB player who never sees the field worth more than free tuition?
Yes, because most of those players will never ever achieve a degree. A degree shouldn't be the only form of compensation for the revenue generated for the university.

I did. And, it is fantastic. I like to stop by here and read about losers who give to NIL.
You read like a man who is incapable of convincing himself of your own nonsense. You probably don't give because you just barely have enough to scratch out a living.

This philosophical argument works both ways. Universities could argue that they provide the platform, facilities, resources, support, coaching, and development that allow players to become professional athletes and make millions of dollars. Should the universities have claim to part of those millions of dollars because they did something that helped the player ultimately make a bunch of money?
This feels like a strawman/bad faith argument.

I 100% think the University should make money on athletics. I don't think ANYONE is arguing the universities shouldn't make money.

But...here's the thing. They do. They always have. They will continue to do so.

So, it seems ridiculous to argue that the universities deserve to make money--when they've always made money--and no one is saying they shouldn't.

I am saying the athletes deserve to make money as well.

Hope this clears it up--but I'm not sure you're really looking for a good faith argment.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Yes, because most of those players will never ever achieve a degree. A degree shouldn't be the only form of compensation for the revenue generated for the university.
The out of state tuition for student attending Kentucky is $33,406 per year.

So you believe a 4th string football player who might never play a meaningful down in a game is worth that $133,624 for the four years he attends the university?

The out of state tuition for student attending Kentucky is $33,406 per year.

So you believe a 4th string football player who might never play a meaningful down in a game is worth that $133,624 for the four years he attends the university?
If all players were guaranteed to get a meaningful degree, your position would be relevant. However, most players don't get degrees because some kids are simply not cut out for the rigors of college. So the worthless promise of a college degree isn't payment enough for any good or below average player. The last time I looked, average players have to practice as hard as the best players. The average or below average health is at risk just as every other player. By the way, it is the team that makes money for the university. The composition of a team includes every player on the team and every player contributes to the success of the team.

If all players were guaranteed to get a meaningful degree, your position would be relevant. However, most players don't get degrees because some kids are simply not cut out for the rigors of college. So the worthless promise of a college degree isn't payment enough for any good or below average player. The last time I looked, average players have to practice as hard as the best players. The average or below average health is at risk just as every other player. By the way, it is the team that makes money for the university. The composition of a team includes every player on the team and every player contributes to the success of the team.
"However most players don't get degrees"

"However most players don't get degrees"

The discussion is college athletics and not just about UK. Also, I am talking about a meaningful degree not just something that keeps a player eligible to play sports. I will admit that according to this site https://gtswarm.com/threads/graduation-rates-by-conference.27801/ the rate for football is higher than I thought, but I am willing to bet that many of those degrees aren't worth the paper they are printed on. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Knowing this, I still think athletes are giving the universities way more than they have been getting in return which is the reason why they will get paid. If coaches can earn millions per year, players deserve more than $133k+ per 4 years of services.

Last edited:
Grievance grifters ruined college athletics. This is a sad joke. Give back everyone's vacated trophies and wins. UK's 1954 season needs to be added back to the record book. Give Kansas their final four and wins back.

This feels like a strawman/bad faith argument.

I 100% think the University should make money on athletics. I don't think ANYONE is arguing the universities shouldn't make money.

But...here's the thing. They do. They always have. They will continue to do so.

So, it seems ridiculous to argue that the universities deserve to make money--when they've always made money--and no one is saying they shouldn't.

I am saying the athletes deserve to make money as well.

Hope this clears it up--but I'm not sure you're really looking for a good faith argment.
I’m not arguing anything. I’m simply pointing out there are different perspectives.

If you want my opinion, I believe athletes do deserve to pursue opportunities to capitalize on their NIL without being impeded by the NCAA.

I believe universities should not be brokering NIL deals in the course of recruiting athletes, and I guess they aren’t supposed to be doing that according to the rules, yet that is exactly what is happening.

I stop short of saying athletes “deserve” to essentially be paid employees of universities. Athletes were never forced to go to school and play sports. They chose to do so in exchange for free housing, food, coaching, training, and education.

If the schools want to now go down the pathway of making athletes paid employees through revenue sharing, then so be it. I’m am very curious how that will all shake out in the end.

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT