ADVERTISEMENT

Amari Williams vs Villanova

I watched this game on Peacock. Drexel won this game by 2. (It was the same day we lost to UNCW.)

I remember being impressed with Drexel's big, later discovered to be Williams. Looked like he could hold his own against anyone. I'm glad he's a Cat.

I have watched videos and agree with everyone. The guy looks tremendous !! What I don’t understand is how he only averaged 23 minutes of playing time a game. Hopefully, he is not foul-prone. We will need his defensive prowess in the tougher games, no doubt.,

An elite rim protector plus a big man that can pass is the perfect fit for Pope's style. Starting out with no returners on the roster, Pope has assembled quite a team to fit his system. It's incredible to see how far this roster has come along.

Last edited:
Reactions: will1976 and TM2013
Per his average, only played 23 minutes but scored 12 points, grabbed 6 rebounds and blocked 5 shots. If he can be a 12 /6/2 guy for us, with a big game every now and then, I'll be stoked.

Reactions: catfan220
I have watched videos and agree with everyone. The guy looks tremendous !! What I don’t understand is how he only averaged 23 minutes of playing time a game. Hopefully, he is not foul-prone. We will need his defensive prowess in the tougher games, no doubt.,
I thought he looked a little out of shape and heavy-legged. A better pre-season conditioning program might help. Even good athletes can have bad habits about their bodies.

Reactions: hmt5000
I’ll tell ya one thing…Pope is recruiting a squad that will be tough as nails. And if he can get that offense to click and everybody improves..you never know…

Jmo but I think that's their bet. They think the scheme can help these guys get looks they weren't getting before. I'm pretty confident we'll see Butler's numbers look way better. Sdsu didn't have much offense to speak of and every basket looked like pulling teeth.

Reactions: hmt5000
I thought he looked a little out of shape and heavy-legged. A better pre-season conditioning program might help. Even good athletes can have bad habits about their bodies.
Same here. Haven't watched the full Nova game but have watched a few others. He tended to look a little slow after a 4 or 5 minute stretch and then get taken out

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
So did this guy live in foul trouble or something? I don’t understand the 23 minutes per game after watching this. Dude’s a beast.

I watched the game and he was much better on the defensive end. He is ok offensively and he had 12 points, 3 coming from a banked in three as the shot clock was expiring. But he definitely is a good post defender.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I assume that answers why he avg so few minutes. If he want to play pro he has 5 months to get in the best shape he can.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Per his average, only played 23 minutes but scored 12 points, grabbed 6 rebounds and blocked 5 shots. If he can be a 12 /6/2 guy for us, with a big game every now and then, I'll be stoked.
He was so important for Pope to keep in the fold. There will be plenty of games where he gets way more minutes than Garrison because of his rebounding and defense.

Reactions: Catzman
Our resident talent experts are wrong about Williams. He's not a mid-major prospect. I had no clue that he had a jab step and step back three point shot in the inventory. He has the whole package. He's also got a strong enough handle to be able to drive the lane from up top.

High school rankings are out the window in the era of NIL.

He’s exactly what last year’s team needed. He never had 5 stars beside his name so we know the rest of that story………

Our resident talent experts are wrong about Williams. He's not a mid-major prospect. I had no clue that he had a jab step and step back three point shot in the inventory. He has the whole package. He's also got a strong enough handle to be able to drive the lane from up top.

High school rankings are out the window in the era of NIL.
I've seen several write ups on rankings and more and more pundits are starting to agree that with every yr of college basketball player rating goes up by half a star.

Now that's not always the case but it seems to be fairly accurate. I think it holds true more than 5* incoming freshmen being elite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT