ADVERTISEMENT

Am I the only one that thinks UK is the team to beat this season?

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018
Think about it..we not only have a killer roster but we have a competent coach! We not only have talent but we have big time experience! We also have a Pitino guy.

Thats a deadly combo that we really havent had since 1997.

Last edited:
Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
New coach. New assistants. 12 new players that have never played together before.

You are very likely the only one.
Ok but these are not 6 freshman these are 9 guys that have big time college basketball experience, put up solid numbers mostly on teams with little help and that in itself will be huge.
Also having a coach that will mix man, zone and pressing will put us over the top.
No one had to game plan for UK over the last 13 yrs because they all knew we would just play man and would not press them…at all!
We also were filled with 18 yr old kids not 22 yr old men!

Last edited:
A team of mid to better than average players from mainly mid-level programs, and with a coach unproven in NCAA play.
Hoping for the best but skeptical as well.

Reactions: Zissou87
I’m optimistic, but will wait until we have played a game or three to declare us world beaters.

We may very well be a great team when all is said and done. We also may not even be the best team in the SEC.

Think about it..we not only have a killer roster but we have a competent coach! We not only have talent but we have big time experience! We also have a Pitino guy.

Nice optimism but I would say you and Johnny short are the only ones

• Haha
Jones TBT said that the team is better than he thought they would be but didn't think they was national title contenders. Said that defense will be an issue even though we have three elite defenders. Also a problem only having one go to guy in Robinson. Commented that Robinson is way better than anyone else. Perry WILL play IF he can guard. Also mentioned that only one player has not been what they hoped for.

Reactions: sefleming

Yes.

Prove it.
Vegas has UK @ +3500 to win the Title.

Sell your Truck
Bet $20,000
Win $700,000

I know the op is known to be overly optimistic but I also can't help but to be excited. I really think we have something with those roster and the way the pieces compliment one another and the shooting ability across the board. I also think many of our guys are ready to take another step in their development and bust out. I really think people are sleeping on a kid like Travis Perry and don't understand how good he is at this sport. He has that basketball savant type feel of the game that Reed had.

Every time I start to give someone grief for something they post, I remember what I said several months ago:

"THE Pope has a better chance of coaching Kentucky than MARK Pope." When I remember that, I just retreat into the background.

Speaking of chemistry and having not played together...All of our teams have been that way since Cal came here, yet we were contenders at times. This team can be special but I do agree that it depends a lot on chemistry and coaching. Definitely a huge step forward in coaching, from a x's and o's perspective...no doubt at all. Chemistry is yet to be seen but everything we're hearing sounds like they are gelling extremely well with one another. Overall talent is down some but I'd say that we are not that far from the last couple of UConn teams in terms of overall talent. So, who knows. Lace em up and lets see.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
There are several teams to beat ahead of us, Kansas, Uconn, UNC, Alabama just to name 4.

I just dont see what lying to ourselves is going to accomplish. it will take one hell of a feat to win the title this year and its ok, its going to take Pope proving himself before we get the talent it takes to win a title. I have full faith he'll have the ball rolling at some point the next few years but for now its gonna take time. That doesnt mean we cant have like 28 or so wins and a damn good season though.

There has never ever been a season when the OP wasn’t telling us that UK was the team to beat. So consider the source.
Exactly, he said all the same things while Cal was here and now he's suddenly all in on an unproven coach, at UK level anyway, and a team of players who never played together until this season. I'd love to be that optimistic with a good reason for it but we are far from the team to win it all at this point in time. OP just posts things to get others worked up, so consider who this is coming from.

Reactions: UK90 and Zissou87
Ok but these are not 6 freshman these are 9 guys that have big time college basketball experience, put up solid numbers mostly on teams with little help and that in itself will be huge.
Also having a coach that will mix man, zone and pressing will put us over the top.
No one had to game plan for UK over the last 13 yrs because they all knew we would just play man and would not press them…at all!
We also were filled with 18 yr old kids not 22 yr old men!
Yes, but almost everyone of the 9 guys wanted to go pro. They just couldnt make the case.
Honestly, I do not know about Pope yet. He had a few big wins during the season but still finished no where close to the top tier in the BIG 12. I sure hope he proves to be what we want but I am going to wait until after a couple of tough games before saying we are the team to beat. Right now I am hoping we can finish top 5 in the SEC.

A bunch of decent guys from crap teams, and coached by a guy who loses 10-12 games a year without a target on the back.

Yes, but almost everyone of the 9 guys wanted to go pro. They just couldnt make the case.
Honestly, I do not know about Pope yet. He had a few big wins during the season but still finished no where close to the top tier in the BIG 12. I sure hope he proves to be what we want but I am going to wait until after a couple of tough games before saying we are the team to beat. Right now I am hoping we can finish top 5 in the SEC.
There were a bunch of BYU games from last seaon in my Youtube feed -- how did it know? -- and I enjoyed BYU's play. There were several oddly skilled players on BYU who woudn't have gotten a free tour of the UK locker room, but Pope got them to excel. Now, he's got several very good players and I think that it's going to be a great season. And more importantly, a preposterously fun season.

Reactions: Cleatortoises
The whole is greater than the sum of its parts here. Add a dynamic offensive system with multiple lights out shooters and quality size inside. I'm in. Very excited to see how it shakes out.

An unnamed TBT player and other person that has witnessed most of the practices have both said offense is loaded. Problem right now is defense. Said if Perry can guard he will be on the floor also said Jax Rob is the best guy and only go to guy right now. Said as of right now the defense is way behind.

If we can play team defense at an slightly above average team we will be very good.
They both said no matter what it will be fun to watch UK basketball again.

I'll bet we have a better tournament record than last year.
Can't get 20k for my old truck, so I'll have to stop there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT