Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Other

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Babe Ruth

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters
The Real Deal!!
evander-holyfield-retrospective-with-frank-lotierzo.jpg

I'm disappointed no one mentioned Babe Ruth.

Before switching over to a full-time player he was the best left-hand pitcher in the American League for the Boston Red Sox.

Ruth's nine shutouts in 1916 set a league record for left-handers that would remain unmatched until Ron Guidry tied it in 1978.

In the 1918 World Series Ruth's effort gave the Red Sox a three-games-to-one lead, and two days later the Red Sox won their third Series in four years, four-games-to-two. Before allowing the Cubs to score in Game Four, Ruth pitched 29 2⁄3 consecutive scoreless innings, a record for the World Series that stood for more than 40 years until 1961, broken by Whitey Ford after Ruth's death. Ruth was prouder of that record than he was of any of his batting feats.

In 1919 Ruth broke the all-time single season Home Run record with 29.
In 1920 he broke his record with 54.
In 1921 he broke it again with 59. That was more than any other team in the American League. Think about that.
He led the league in home runs 12 times.
He still leads MLB with career WAR (wins above replacement) with 182.5.
He still leads MLB in career On-Base Plus Slugging with 1.164.
His record of 60 home runs in 1927 was the most revered record in American sports. It stood for 34 years until Roger Maris hit 61 in 1961 (in an expanded season. After 54 games -- as were all seasons prior to 1961 -- Maris had 59 homers).
This is correct in my opinion.

Michael Jordan
Babe Ruth
Muhammad Ali
Wayne Gretzky
Jim Thorpe
Secretariat

That’s the ones to choose from for me.

That’s a great list. As a native Kentuckian and grad of UK I’m pleased to see Secretariat on your list. I and friends went over to Paris every spring I was at UK to watch him romp around in a pasture. The most magnificent animal I have ever seen. I believe he holds the track record at all 3 triple crown venues to this day.

But I would add Jim Brown running back for the Cleveland Browns to your list.

I go with Bo. Nobody was a 2-sports star of his magnitude. Only his injury before his zenith makes anyone think he's not at the top of the Pantheon of US sports stars.

Reactions: homeytheclown
I go with Bo. Nobody was a 2-sports star of his magnitude. Only his injury before his zenith makes anyone think he's not at the top of the Pantheon of US sports stars.
Bo is absolutely best physical specimen I’m gonna go watch some bo Jax highlights

College wrestling - Cael Sanderson. Four consecutive undefeated seasons. Finished with a record of 159-0, four Div I titles, and an Olympic gold medal in 2004.

International Rugby - Richie McCaw, New Zealand All Blacks. 148 Test Match caps (record 131-15-2), captained 2 World Cup winners, three time world player of the year. A dominant openside flanker on defense.

I'm disappointed no one mentioned Babe Ruth.

Before switching over to a full-time player he was the best left-hand pitcher in the American League for the Boston Red Sox.

Ruth's nine shutouts in 1916 set a league record for left-handers that would remain unmatched until Ron Guidry tied it in 1978.

In the 1918 World Series Ruth pitched 29 2⁄3 consecutive scoreless innings, a record for the World Series that stood for more than 40 years until 1961, broken by Whitey Ford after Ruth's death. Ruth was prouder of that record than he was of any of his batting feats.

In 1919 Ruth broke the all-time single season Home Run record with 29.
In 1920 he broke his record with 54.
In 1921 he broke it again with 59. That was more than any other team in the American League. Think about that.
He led the league in home runs 12 times.
He still leads MLB with career WAR (wins above replacement) with 182.5.
He still leads MLB in career On-Base Plus Slugging with 1.164.
His record of 60 home runs in 1927 was the most revered record in American sports. It stood for 34 years until Roger Maris hit 61 in 1961 (in an expanded season. After 54 games -- as were all seasons prior to 1961 -- Maris had 59 homers).

I'm going with the Babe, too.

He was a great pitcher and hitter.

His hitting stats vs his peers is off the charts. I read a book once that stated Barry Bonds 73 -HRs in 2001 would have been equal to the Babe hitting 314, in a season, based on the % of all homers hit for the entire league.

Even though Ruth didn't play against black players , he also never put any effort towards physical fitness. He was as heavy drinking party animal. What might he have accomplished with only a fraction of the fitness knowledge and dedication of future players.

And if we throw in championships, no contest!!

No athlete has been more statistically dominant and has the championships to be ranked higher than The Sultan of Swat

Nor did he play against Hispanics or Asians, so it is kind of hard for me to consider him the GOAT when his competition was so watered down vs. the modern game. Sort of like saying the Fabulous Five were the greatest basketball team of all time, when they played in an all white era

Baseball is a sport where I'd say there are far more great white players than there were black players. Internationally, I'd agree that there's merit to that.

Baseball isn't basketball.

I'm going with the Babe, too.

He was a great pitcher and hitter.

His hitting stats vs his peers is off the charts. I read a book once that stated Barry Bonds 73 -HRs in 2001 would have been equal to the Babe hitting 314, in a season, based on the % of all homers hit for the entire league.

Even though Ruth didn't play against black players , he also never put any effort towards physical fitness. He was as heavy drinking party animal. What might he have accomplished with only a fraction of the fitness knowledge and dedication of future players.

And if we throw in championships, no contest!!

No athlete has been more statistically dominant and has the championships to be ranked higher than The Sultan of Swat

Ruth was drinking, smoking and eating hot dogs in the dugout. lol

Like you mentioned, people can claim the game is better now but so is the equipment, the training and the money. If Babe could do all of that while being fat, drinking and smoking then he'd dominate if he had the resources of a Bryce Harper.

Wayne Gretzky. And everyone else's opinion on the matter is bullshit if they don't say Wayne Gretzky. Look up his records/accomplishments and then you'll agree.

Ruth.

He hit 59 home runs in a season when no other teams hit that many.

In an era where such polls discriminate against "antiquity," ponder this: Ruth is still statistically the greatest batter of all time in baseball . . . . and we're going on 80 years since he retired?!?

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
Bo Jackson? Dude was a HOF worthy player in both football and baseball. Also an insane track athlete. Many athletes can dominate one sport, Bo could multiple.

Ruth.

He hit 59 home runs in a season when no other teams hit that many.

In an era where such polls discriminate against "antiquity," ponder this: Ruth is still statistically the greatest batter of all time in baseball . . . . and we're going on 80 years since he retired?!?
Not only that but he defined baseball while he played. His impact on the game will never diminish. A lot of other things are overlooked about Ruth. He was undisciplined, rowdy, big drinker and smoked, however, he always had time for kids and frequently visited orphanages and bought shoes and clothes for needy kids.

College wrestling - Cael Sanderson. Four consecutive undefeated seasons. Finished with a record of 159-0, four Div I titles, and an Olympic gold medal in 2004.

International Rugby - Richie McCaw, New Zealand All Blacks. 148 Test Match caps (record 131-15-2), captained 2 World Cup winners, three time world player of the year. A dominant openside flanker on defense.
Both tied for the, “International Who Gives a Shit Award”.

Not only that but he defined baseball while he played. His impact on the game will never diminish. A lot of other things are overlooked about Ruth. He was undisciplined, rowdy, big drinker and smoked, however, he always had time for kids and frequently visited orphanages and bought shoes and clothes for needy kids.
He too was an orphan.

I'm not sure he was even the best player on his team. It's hard to choose between him and Gehrig
Wrong, Ruth did way more for the game. Gehrig's career had a tragic ending but he was no where near the overall player. How many games did Gehrig win as a pitcher?

I went back and added babe Ruth bc he seems most likely the alltime greatest in baseball, even though the case can be made for a couple others. Also asterisks in MLB have an effect

It's Gretzky and it's not close.

In every other sport, there can be debate

MLB Ruth/Mays/Bonds/Williams/etc
NFL Brady/Rice/Montana/Elway/etc
NBA MJ/Magic/LBJ/Wilt/etc
Tennis Fed/Nadal/Pete/Serena/Graf
Golf Jack/Tiger
Track Thorpe/Bolt/Lewis/Kersee

And that list could go on

Gretzky's numbers are so far ahead of his closest competitors they look made up. There have been 4 200 point seasons in NHL history - all by Gretz. He has almost 1,000 more career points than the man in 2nd place (Jagr,) and more assists than Jagr has total points. He was a cheat code on ice. Nobody else has dominated a sport with such condescending ease.

Reactions: ShoesSwayedBlue
Nobody else has dominated a sport with such condescending ease.

Ruth was a statistical freak, at least as impressive as Gretz . . . . he hit more home runs than entire teams, in his day. He would end up with 50/60, when the second place HR hitters were in the 20's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT