ADVERTISEMENT

"All Those Old Dudes Aren't Coming Back, Right?"

LmdCat

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
For those who criticized Cal for referring to Nowell as a little kid, do you think it was ok for Tang to say what is shown in the subject line? I doubt if college players who have NBA aspirations want to be referred to as old dudes since there is a stigma associated with players who stay in college for 3 to 4 years. I don't think what either coach said is a big deal, but if you are going to criticize one, you should criticize both of them equally for their comments.

For those who criticized Cal for referring to Nowell as a little kid, do you think it was ok for Tang to say what is shown in the subject line? I doubt if college players who have NBA aspirations want to be referred to as old dudes since there is a stigma associated with players who stay in college for 3 to 4 years. I don't think what either coach said is a big deal, but if you are going to criticize one, you should criticize both of them equally for their comments.
He's talking about John Wall. Anthony Davis. Dan Issel.

That one (like most things I assume) really flew over your head. 🤦🏾‍♂️

He's talking about John Wall. Anthony Davis. Dan Issel.
I just read some of the excerpts from the interview. If that is what he meant, then I am to be corrected. However, I don't believe that Cal's comments were intended to be degrading because it wouldn't make sense to do that to someone who single handedly beat your team.

Tang will get humbled, he is a cocky SOB
He won't get humbled by our lazy turd of a coach, that's the whole point. What do we get out of Michigan St. (or in the worse scenario, Tennessee) beating Tang?

Before Cow came here UK used to beat Kansas like a rented mule. Nowadays we can't even get past Kansas State...

He won't get humbled by our lazy turd of a coach, that's the whole point. What do we get out of Michigan St. (or in the worse scenario, Tennessee) beating Tang?

Before Cow came here UK used to beat Kansas like a rented mule. Nowadays we can't even get past Kansas State...
Um, I'm all for Cal hitting the road, but we did just beat Kansas like a rented mule last year. In Lawrence.

Reactions: LmdCat
Um, I'm all for Cal hitting the road, but we did just beat Kansas like a rented mule last year. In Lawrence.
I know, but take some other factors into consideration, like our 2-5 record against them since Cow got his spirit crushed against Wisconsin & the fact that they won the title that same year while we flamed out vs freaking St. Pete's.

I was a bit surprised for him to talk so much about a victory against a program that is only a shell of what it used to be.
Agree, tang was talking like he has championships and prior success to back it up. MSU will beat them Thursday and he will be going home

MSU doesn’t bother me, they won’t win the championship, Tennessee does, and they will get beat, the whole point of this thread was that both coaches should be getting criticism for what they said after the game.

Reactions: LmdCat
I was a bit surprised for him to talk so much about a victory against a program that is only a shell of what it used to be.
I loved it, I hope it stung Cal deep. He needed the slap to the face to hopefully wake the hell up. He isn’t a basketball coach anymore, just a shell of who he used to be, plus he is in terrible shape, no wonder he doesn’t wear suits anymore.

I loved it, I hope it stung Cal deep. He needed the slap to the face to hopefully wake the hell up. He isn’t a basketball coach anymore, just a shell of who he used to be, plus he is in terrible shape, no wonder he doesn’t wear suits anymore.
I couldn't agree more!! Maybe now he is starting to realize that his peers are laughing at him and not with him. Actually, it isn't even accurate to call Tang a peer because I don't think he has done anything to be considered one of Cal's compeers.

I see it as a reminder and a help.
Couldn't hurt to see some of the NBA pros around the team during the summer. Need to make sure that we are using our advantages with our "old guys" much as possible. Play a little pickup ball with the team you know Booker and Alexander karl towns. Help our guys get a little bit better get a little bit of an edge on everybody else. Sharpen steel with steel. Good old pudding and Tangy was trying to tell us what to do!!

Thanks for reminding us that we have a absolute stranglehold on the NBA right now and we should be using it more Puddie Tang!!

Now go lose like a good little rookie coach should to Tom Izzo. Be over at halftime. 💯💯💯💯✔️

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeBeeHall
Sadly he has become nothing more than a ringmaster.

Reactions: westerncat
Couldn't hurt to see some of the NBA pros around the team during the summer. Need to make sure that we are using our advantages with our "old guys" much as possible.

Thanks for reminding us that we have a absolute stranglehold on the NBA right now and we should be using it more Puddie Tang!!
Puddie Tang!! That is who Cal has truly become. Most of the time you have no idea what the heck he is saying.

Reactions: Catfan2226
Man it would be nice if a Nate Oats led Kentucky team blew that SOB out by 40 points and Oat's talked shit to him BEFORE, and AFTER the game. That's the way Cal used to be.

COntext.....It was about UK's tradition. His answer was---"None of those old dudes are coming back....Not gonna help them...." In other words he was saying UK's tradition wasn't gonna win them games.

And he is right.

COntext.....It was about UK's tradition. His answer was---"None of those old dudes are coming back....Not gonna help them...." In other words he was saying UK's tradition wasn't gonna win them games.

And he is right.
Not when the tradition is being destroyed from within.

• Love
Reactions: westerncat
Not when the tradition is being destroyed from within.
Meh, tradition doesn't in games...If it did, IU wouldn't be looking at a 30+ year title drought. When RP coached at UK, people didn't fear UK b/c of their tradition----they feared them b/c of the product Pitino was putting on the floor....Same with Cal early in his tenure.

Tradition is for sports writers....

Our coach has been beat like a drum and he’s still not humble:

Reactions: CROCAT

And he is right.
If that is what he meant, he is right. However, he is acting like they dominated the game. They won because of two things. 1. There little kid made some crazy shots late in the second half. 2. Our two scorers couldn't have played a worse game and yet we were still in the game with a chance to win.

Tang isn't accomplished enough to be running off at the mouth. The fact that he didn't know how to act during the post-game interview tells you that he is in unfamiliar territory. We had more than enough talent to beat them. Our issue isn't a talent deficit; it is a coaching deficit.

He took last place predicted big 12 team to 3seed. That’s great coaching anyway you cut it
Winning tournaments is as much about luck as it is anything else.

Coaching is what made the little kid hit those crazy shots. If Reeves had been able to hit just 2 more of the 3s that he missed, the outcome would have most likely been different. The NCAA tourney is full of one-hit wonders. Where is the former coach of UMBC? Did his team make the tourney? Where is the former coach of St Peters? Did his team make the tourney? I am not sure, but I suspect if they did there would have been lots of discussion about them.

Winning tournaments is as much about luck as it is anything else.

Coaching is what made the little kid hit those crazy shots. If Reeves had been able to hit just 2 more of the 3s that he missed, the outcome would have most likely been different. The NCAA tourney is full of one-hit wonders. Where is the former coach of UMBC? Did his team make the tourney? Where is the former coach of St Peters? Did his team make the tourney? I am not sure, but I suspect if they did there would have been lots of discussion about them.
Last place preseason B12 team was a 3seed. That’s good coaching

Last place preseason B12 team was a 3seed. That’s good coaching
Was it good coaching and if so, can it be sustained? What would his record have been without Nowell? He would have been blown out of our game without Nowell. So, was it really great coaching or was/is it one player's destiny. It is way too early to suggest what type of coach he is.

Meh, tradition doesn't in games...If it did, IU wouldn't be looking at a 30+ year title drought. When RP coached at UK, people didn't fear UK b/c of their tradition----they feared them b/c of the product Pitino was putting on the floor....Same with Cal early in his tenure.

Tradition is for sports writers....
No,IU has been down due in part to hiring inept coaches.Tradition does mean something.Nobody fears UK anymore which is why the Evansvilles and like can come into Rupp Arena and walk out with a win.Indiana has accepted mediocrity for years and unless shit changes at UK,we are heading down the same road.

Thanks to PJ Washington missed 13 of 21 free throws. In the regional final.

Not a bit happy that we lost either game, but Cal didn’t miss those free throws. call didn’t shoot 2-22 from Toppin and Reeves. Maybe Toppin was thinking about his AT&T commercials because his head was certainly not on the game. Reeves has been inconsistent with his shooting all year. Remember 1-8 on 3 pointers against Vandy

Last edited:
Reactions: Hookshooter66
Before Coach Cal came here are you saying UK was headed to FF each year? Tubby's Last 9 years ZERO Final Fours and only what 3 or 4 E8 and 4 2nd round losses in his last 9 years. Then 2 years with Gillipsie losing 1st round game and losing in the NIT. Then, I was a big Pitino fan but remember he did run to the NBA and Boston and if stayed at UK would had a dynasty here. Head Coach Hall in 13 years is about where Cal is with number of Sweet 16's, E8's, FF, and 1 Championship. So, if you go back over last 50 years of UK basketball its still about the same if you look at the numbers with Head Coach Hall, Pitino, Tubby, Gillipsie, forgot Sutton. Look at all the numbers in these last 50 years and I believe Coach Cal the most Sweet 16's, E8's, FInal Fours, National Championship, and best recruiting classes since arriving at UK. His family is always there when disasters strike Kentucky and is the first to step up and make things happen during these tornadoes and floods. UK hasn't been in any issues or troubles with Recruiting in Cal's 13 years. That was the first thing said when Coach Cal took the job that with Cal and UK that would be a disaster in cheating for Recruits. He has kept this program clean for 13 years. With all he has done Cal will be here next year and probably 2028-29 and then on to Ambassador after retiring. Plus, true UK fans will still be traveling each game and each Tourney to watch the Big Blue play with Coach Cal as the Head Coach!

He can day what he likes about us, the only to shut him up would be to beat him, which we couldn't do. One price of being losers is people get to talk shit about you

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT