ADVERTISEMENT

All quiet on the Riley visit ?

Riley is a five star talent and one of the best offensive players in his class. He will definitely play early. He has great size for his position as well. Why don’t you think the number 10 rated player in a deep 2025 class won’t play?
Fox2monk, I think the reason would be that he's just not good enough. It's as simple as that in my opinion. The number 10 ranked high school junior would probably be really good against other high school juniors (maybe seniors too) - even if we assume the ranking is based more on future potential than current impact on winning in high school. The kid probably has all the potential in the world, and from the game action and highlight video I've seen I would agree that he does have plenty of potential (although also plenty of obvious weakness and need to develop). But I think many now fully realize that high school rankings do not corelate to who the best players will be and certainly not to the impact on winning at the college level when you're taking about incoming freshmen - not because the rankings are bad, but because you're comparing a half-baked cake with good ingredients to a gourmet finished product.

Basically, I think Riley would be largely irrelevant for next season and not in the same league as Robinson, Brea or Oweh in regard to his impact on winning at this stage of his development. In fact, my guess is every minute he might be on the floor instead of one of those three would be a net negative for UK. If Riley is willing to develop with very limited playing time in hopes of being a real contributor his sophomore season, then he could be a good addition. But if Riley's plan is to be OAD, I think UK might even be better off if he went somewhere else. Maybe Ark. can find a spot, that wouldn't concern me a bit as a UK fan.

Fox2monk, I think the reason would be that he's just not good enough. It's as simple as that in my opinion. The number 10 ranked high school junior would probably be really good against other high school juniors (maybe seniors too) - even if we assume the ranking is based more on future potential than current impact on winning in high school. The kid probably has all the potential in the world, and from the game action and highlight video I've seen I would agree that he does have plenty of potential (although also plenty of obvious weakness and need to develop). But I think many now fully realize that high school rankings do not corelate to who the best players will be and certainly not to the impact on winning at the college level when you're taking about incoming freshmen - not because the rankings are bad, but because you're comparing a half-baked cake with good ingredients to a gourmet finished product.

Basically, I think Riley would be largely irrelevant for next season and not in the same league as Robinson, Brea or Oweh in regard to his impact on winning at this stage of his development. In fact, my guess is every minute he might be on the floor instead of one of those three would be a net negative for UK. If Riley is willing to develop with very limited playing time in hopes of being a real contributor his sophomore season, then he could be a good addition. But if Riley's plan is to be OAD, I think UK might even be better off if he went somewhere else. Maybe Ark. can find a spot, that wouldn't concern me a bit as a UK fan.
I’m not expecting him to be great his first year. I hope he stays 2 and uses next year to get a few minutes and compete against better talent while getting stronger. Then is ready to roll his second year.

Reactions: G-PIP
I’m not expecting him to be great his first year. I hope he stays 2 and uses next year to get a few minutes and compete against better talent while getting stronger. Then is ready to roll his second year.
I can definitely get behind this.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I can definitely get behind this.
Honestly with the NIL they can make I hope more high school kids take this approach, get paid to practice and hone their skills and wait their turn like they used too. They will help their career and the ones who are ready will still show out.

Honestly with the NIL they can make I hope more high school kids take this approach, get paid to practice and hone their skills and wait their turn like they used too. They will help their career and the ones who are ready will still show out.
Makes sense for sure. Also beyond just the money part, if your goal is to play in the NBA - even if your intent is to get to the NBA as quickly as possible - wouldn't a year in college be vastly superior preparation than a senior year in high school? The competition levels are off the charts different.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Makes sense for sure. Also beyond just the money part, if your goal is to play in the NBA - even if your intent is to get to the NBA as quickly as possible - wouldn't a year in college be vastly superior preparation than a senior year in high school? The competition levels are off the charts different.
Yup and the coaching, nutrition, doctors, and preparation.

Reactions: G-PIP
Yeah Illinois went from not making his top 10 a few months ago, not making his top 5 like 6 weeks ago, and now is the potential favorite. They have an obvious hole at SG for him to slide in.
If he were to come here than somebody is gonna be unhappy and maybe leave.

UK is out for Riley. Will Riley will reclass and head to Illinois. Deciding factor was playing time and Pope wouldn't guarantee a certain amount of playing time.

Sisk said Kentucky is still in it.
That may be the case, but a reliable source on Trilly discord said otherwise. This source even hinted at the Jaxson return and commit before anyone even knew what was happening. He doubled checked with his source again and said UK is officially out on Riley for 2024. Just passing on that information. Take it for what you will.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
That may be the case, but a reliable source on Trilly discord said otherwise. This source even hinted at the Jaxson return and commit before anyone even knew what was happening. He doubled checked with his source again and said UK is officially out on Riley for 2024. Just passing on that information. Take it for what you will.
I agree with you I think it’s Illinois
Yeah he did but it's probably going to be Illinois unfortunately

Reactions: coolclay63
Update: According to David Sisk, Riley appears to be down to 2 schools UK s one illinois is the other and sisk Is saying a decision may come within a week

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT