ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Game 1

backinky2018

Sophomore
Sep 14, 2021
I was at the ballpark, and it was COLD. Small crowd, but spirited. I am loving Pooser on Friday nights, great efficiency as he was able to get through 7 innings in under 100 pitches. Smith came in and shut the door.

Not a lot of hits, but typical for an SEC Friday night. UK had very timely hitting, topped off with a two run blast from Mccarthy.

Big game today, let's get the series.

Reactions: Jeff12wb
I was at the ballpark, and it was COLD. Small crowd, but spirited. I am loving Pooser on Friday nights, great efficiency as he was able to get through 7 innings in under 100 pitches. Smith came in and shut the door.

Not a lot of hits, but typical for an SEC Friday night. UK had very timely hitting, topped off with a two run blast from Mccarthy.

Big game today, let's get the series.
You going today?

What is that white "box" Daly is wearing at the front of his waist? A head first slide pad?

99 pitches total. Yowza.

Someone could explain why AL had 5 left-batting players in lineup against a left P.

7-0 in game #2. That with 3 base runners caught stealing and one getting picked off after venturing too far off after a single.

We are crazy aggressive on the base paths but it seems that Mingione is getting better at chaos theory. Since he has gone to coach 3rd base, I've seen far fewer low percentage plays. Just a few years ago, I was ready for him to be gone because we'd take ourselves out of so many scoring chances on those low percentage plays: suicide squeezes, bunts from your best hitter with two outs, etc. Niman was dominating today. We are well set up for the sweep tomorrow.

7-0 in game #2. That with 3 base runners caught stealing and one getting picked off after venturing too far off after a single.

We are crazy aggressive on the base paths but it seems that Mingione is getting better at chaos theory. Since he has gone to coach 3rd base, I've seen far fewer low percentage plays. Just a few years ago, I was ready for him to be gone because we'd take ourselves out of so many scoring chances on those low percentage plays: suicide squeezes, bunts from your best hitter with two outs, etc. Niman was dominating today. We are well set up for the sweep tomorrow.
I’ve watched most of UKs games this year and today may have been the best game they’ve played overall in spite of the bad base running. Niman was unreal today. Here’s hoping for a sweep over a team ranked higher than we are. GBB!!!

I’ve watched most of UKs games this year and today may have been the best game they’ve played overall in spite of the bad base running. Niman was unreal today. Here’s hoping for a sweep over a team ranked higher than we are. GBB!!!
Bad base running? We lead the NCAA in stolen bases and stolen base attempts. Mingione wants them to be aggressive on the base paths.

Reactions: KokomoCat
They still made a couple bad choices on the base paths. But stuff happens and 7-0 is 7-0.
There is no doubt that we benefit from the chaos on the base paths. We seem to be getting a lot of walks and HBPs as well as scoring from 3rd on wild pitches when we've stolen our way there. I'm just glad we are benefiting much more than paying for it as we did in the past. I'm wondering how this holds up when everyone has their defenses tuned up by the end of the season. It clearly payed off last year. We have that MO. It gets into opponent's heads (far better that than the "throw it in the dirt" chants). It is definitely a positive to have an identity that opponents have to respect. The proof is in the record so far. We've played teams that are at the bottom of the SEC so far but we helped get them there too.

Reactions: The-Hack and K86
For the newcomers, prepare yourself - there will be base running miscues. It's our DNA. It works more than it doesn't, but there will be a few times each game when you want to pull your hair out (e.g. Mccarthy getting thrown out trying to steal third today when we could have had an even bigger inning).

But, you'll also see us steal runs that we otherwise wouldn't have had b/c we are aggressive. Ming' theory is that players at this level will make mistakes and we are going to continue to put pressure on them.

Reactions: RogerIndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT