ADVERTISEMENT

Football Afternoon Update

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
I really wish we could get into all the details on this stuff right now but a lot of it is simply not ready to be packaged and released until some more hoops have been jumped through, but after talking with some folks throughout the day I feel like there is a really good plan in place for building next year's team. That's the big point I want to make here.

Confident that Coen is the No. 1 option at OC. As I've said, he has a contract and they could choose to not let him out of it if they don't want to, but I have to believe they will be able to work something out if they really want him, and I think they do.

I've said I think there will be mutual interest and that I'm pretty confident of. There has not been any formal negotiations or interview but as I said from the very beginning, I don't believe Stoops would have moved on from Scangarello at the time that he did unless he had a pretty good idea of how things might be able to play out for him.

Beyond that, it seems like a really nice portal class is coming together. You're going to have a good mix of guys who had elite prospect pedigree coming out of HS with overperformers who have proven themselves at places who are more off the grid.

We feel good about one OL being pretty much locked up, another who is close, and a couple of players in the offensive backfield (QB, RB) who sound very promising (one reason Stoops probably felt comfortable making the staff moves when he did) as impact players/starting caliber players for next season. Since we aren't giving the names at this point, do want to give what we can. If I were in a fan's shoes these are all players I could easily get excited about/justify getting excited about.

In summary... I believe there is a good chance UK works something out with Coen but because of the timetable with the NFL I'm not comfortable guessing on when that might all go down. You're going to need to be patient and will update you if I sense there have been developments but that is the situation I am watching. Hearing things about other guys but not emphasizing that. Coen is the one I'd be watching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News