ADVERTISEMENT

Advice on starting your own business.

Robcatt24

♩♪♫♬♭♮♯°ø؂≠≭
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2005
I've gotten myself in a good place financially, and have the wiggle room to try something different.

I'm thinking about starting a non-emergency medical transportation service. Long way of saying of taking elderly folks to and from their doctor visits.

In my area, lot of people have to go to Knoxville for the doctor visits. Which is like an hour to an hour and a half away.

I'm guessing I'll need a business license and extra auto insurance.

This is totally another planet for me. Was wanting to know if any of you have done this kind of work before or know someone who has.

I'm guessing I would need some kind of billing software for insurance, Medicaid, etc.

Getting my name out there with advertising and such.

Big step for me and would appreciate any info I can get.

Reactions: KINGBEAST
It sounds like you want to start a business you know absolutely nothing about. I cannot encourage you any stronger to try and contact/get in touch with someone that has a similar business in a different area for advice/mentorship

It sounds like you want to start a business you know absolutely nothing about. I cannot encourage you any stronger to try and contact/get in touch with someone that has a similar business in a different area for advice/mentorship

True, I know less than jack.

It's going to be a long process, but it's something I want to try.

I'm starting to put out some feelers to get as much information I can.

You better start with a business plan and don't half ass it. You can find decent templates all over the internet. This will require you do market research, projections, budgets, establish barriers to entry, speak with people in the trade, find out licensing, permitting, insurance requirements. One thing that worries me with what you're describing would be liability of transporting frail people. So you'll want to know your liability insurance cost, call an agent and get a quote and required coverage. Get quotes from several companies offering the same transportation.

For a startup any of the Quickbooks, Peachtree, etc accounting services will do. Just learn how to use them and don't cut corners. Settle your books monthly and review financials. That's how you spot problems before they get out of hand.

Good luck.

I've gotten myself in a good place financially, and have the wiggle room to try something different.

I'm thinking about starting a non-emergency medical transportation service. Long way of saying of taking elderly folks to and from their doctor visits.

In my area, lot of people have to go to Knoxville for the doctor visits. Which is like an hour to an hour and a half away.

This is totally another planet for me. Was wanting to know if any of you have done this kind of work before or know someone who has.

I'm guessing I would need some kind of billing software for insurance, Medicaid, etc.

rs_1024x759-190926123051-1024-shark-tank-sharks-me-92619.jpg

Reactions: -Mav-
Put together a business plan that includes pro-forma financials and go over them with a CPA. Gain a very good understanding of the true cost of operating your vehicle. Anecdotally, 9 out of 10 Uber drivers don’t understand this when I ask them basic questions. Most of them just say gas is cheap.

You better start with a business plan and don't half ass it. You can find decent templates all over the internet. This will require you do market research, projections, budgets, establish barriers to entry, speak with people in the trade, find out licensing, permitting, insurance requirements. One thing that worries me with what you're describing would be liability of transporting frail people. So you'll want to know your liability insurance cost, call an agent and get a quote and required coverage. Get quotes from several companies offering the same transportation.

For a startup any of the Quickbooks, Peachtree, etc accounting services will do. Just learn how to use them and don't cut corners. Settle your books monthly and review financials. That's how you spot problems before they get out of hand.

Good luck.

Yeah, I just started thinking about this, like today lol.

Got a long way to go and I'm not in a hurry.

Thanks.

Such transportation already exists. Huge problem is they are often no-shows even with reservations. My ex encountered numerous problems with the HRA for doctor appointments in Knoxville.

Claiborne County HRA.

You might have a shot at filling a niche. Get the word out. Taxi cabs in Knoxville charge $135 - $150 one-way from McGee-Tyson airport to Harrogate/Middlesboro.

Last edited:
Such transportation already exists. Huge problem is they are often no-shows even with reservations. My ex encountered numerous problems with the HRA for doctor appointments in Knoxville.

Claiborne County HRA.

You might have a shot at filling a niche. Get the word out. Taxi cabs in Knoxville charge $135 - $150 one-way from McGee-Tyson airport to Harrogate/Middlesboro.

Yeah, I'm going to do all the homework I can.

Not looking to get rich doing this. More or less going to be a part time type of thing.

If I could do a round trip to Knoxville once a day, that would be enough for me.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Yeah, I'm going to do all the homework I can.

Not looking to get rich doing this. More or less going to be a part time type of thing.

If I could do a round trip to Knoxville once a day, that would be enough for me.
There's a market out there. You will wear your personal car/truck out in a year. Check into vehicle leases and also wheelchair lifts. Upon drop off, you might find yourself waiting around for a few hours.

I'm a volunteer mentor with SCORE which is a national organization of small business mentoring volunteers affiliated with the U.S. Small Business administration.

I would encourage you to take a look at our SCORE national website at: www.SCORE.org

The site has a lot of online resources and courses you can take, this one is all about how to get started:

https://www.score.org/getstarted

You can find a local SCORE mentor in your area by using the search:
https://www.score.org/find-mentor

Right now most all of us are doing our mentoring sessions by Zoom or similar, which is working quite well. All of our services are free and unlimited. Send me a PM if you have any other questions.

There's a market out there. You will wear your personal car/truck out in a year. Check into vehicle leases and also wheelchair lifts. Upon drop off, you might find yourself waiting around for a few hours.

Yeah, it may not be something that will pay off.

Just looking to try something new.

May start my own Mafia family.

You should probably put something in the fine print that allows you to take all the old person's assets. They won't know what they are signing. It will be a good run for a while, then you'll end up on American Greed, with Stacy Keach saying something like, "Robcatt24 took these folks for a ride.".

I've been in business for myself for 36 years. I've also worked for other people. I'd rather work for myself, but it has it's drawbacks. I don't know crap about the business you are looking at, so other than a few generalizations, I can't help much.

Someone mentioned finding someone familiar with your intended business that is willing to help. Someone who has never done what you want to do can be of limited help and may actually hurt you. The rules of the game may change with the stroke of a politician's pen "after" you have invested time and money. Many businesses have been hurt by the china flu which would have been hard to anticipate. Get someone who knows what they are doing to handle your books. Years ago I had a customer who bought my product to resell. He did great till Uncle Sam told him he had to pay taxes.

Not sure about TN, but in Kentucky you have to receive a "certificate of need" from state to operate such a business. They are difficult to get because the bigger transportation companies have a good lobby and are extremely territorial.

Reactions: Catman100
Any kind of self employed business, be prepared to work long hard hours if you want to make any money. Oh, and your boss will be a jackass, hardest one you will ever work for.

You also have to be a self starter and be organized. No one will hire or work for very long with people that don't show up on time or don't deliver what they promise.

There is some other good advice in this thread above.

P.S. Get some professional advice, and do it the right way, e.g., get the proper insurance and licenses, pay your taxes, etc. You will sleep a LOT better at night.

Always think about risk mitigation strategies. Have an attorney prepare a strong waiver of liability and require clients to sign. Meticulously maintain your vehicle and retain all service records. Learn CPR. Have an AED on board...just a few thoughts, but even a good business plan can get ruined if you don’t protect yourself

I'd certainly spend the $$ and form an LLC. Perhaps $400 in KY?

Check into buying a decent used truck with a big bed. Many folks around the area need stuff moved, and although you find more pickups in the tri-state area than in the city, not everyone owns one.

Consider flipping. There's more money in Claiborne County than Bell these days, but it's also geographically more dispersed in TN. You network more, you encounter more opportunities. A bunch of old boys down there are ready to part with a motorcycle, ATV or boat before summer ends, but need the right price. Cash talks.

Reactions: Robcatt24
Got a feeling yogurt is going to make another run at it early 2021. Get ahead of the curve.

In all seriousness, good luck.

You really going the complicated route with the medical field. God speed

You better get some folks involved that really know what they are doing in the medical and insurance field or you’re business is dead on arrival.

Always think about risk mitigation strategies. Have an attorney prepare a strong waiver of liability and require clients to sign. Meticulously maintain your vehicle and retain all service records. Learn CPR. Have an AED on board...just a few thoughts, but even a good business plan can get ruined if you don’t protect yourself
Simple CPR probably won’t be good enough. Adult, baby, and pediatric CPR. You’ll likely need BLS, ACLS, ALS, PALS, PEARS, and bloodborne pathogens certification too or some combination of those six if not all six. And the full first-aid certification. Anaphylaxis Epi pen autoinjector certification. AED is going to run you over $1500.

You’re own professional insurance costs are going to be expensive.

You’re medical transport after all. If you’re catering to senior citizens you have to be able to provide life saving support when the shit hits the fan out of nowhere. And you need to be sure you’re covered if things turn for the worst even if you do everything correctly.

Last edited:

Medical Uber. No regulation needed

Reactions: UKGrad93
I started my own business a year and a half ago, and only regret not doing it sooner. Some advice....

- as others have pointed out, get advice from someone you trust in the field that operates in a totally different market. Then put your business plans/financials together so you have some goals and ideas about earnings, expenses, etc.

- if you can start part time, and build it over time, do it. Having a stable income/safety net while building your business greatly enhances your chances of success.

Good luck. I think you’ll find this is a highly desired industry.

If/when you pull the trigger Robcatt24...best of luck. I was fortunate in my business 'career' to be able to retire in my mid-late 40s. Got into rentals but also started a couple small businesses to keep busy (and make $). One was in the medical field, but not what you're talking about. My wife's career was in the short and long-term assisted living field. I know they always had a need for what you're talking about. Some nursing homes have their own vehicle and an employee would do the driving, etc and other homes contracted it out. Normally (her experience) the homes that had their own van...the employees didn't want to do it. Too much of a hassle I guess. So they were always looking for someone to do it...either in or out of their location.
If you contract with a facility (nursing home, assisted living) most times they file the insurance, etc and you would just be a flat contractual rate. If you transport people from there home to a location (doctor, etc) you could either charge a flat fee to them, or you could go the route of being a business, get set up with insurance companies (Medicare, etc.) to do the billing, and so forth.

Medical Uber. No regulation needed
Gassy is spot on with this advice. A quick google search, there is a thing called Uber Health. It looks to be a model for doing transport of people to medical appointments. It seems to me that going with a program that is already setup is the way to do it. At least it would let you learn the business. Maybe once you get some experience, you could branch out more by yourself.

Not sure, what, if any differences in licenses, policies, insurance, etc youd need from the state of Kentucky and Tennessee.

I have a buddy who used to run medical supplies out to Eastern KY from Lexington, so kinda similar gig. Id say it can be done man with a little persistence. Doubt itll be cheap to start up, Im sure there are probably some standards for transport interior and things youll need to have. Probably require some basic medical cert. as well.

If/when you pull the trigger Robcatt24...best of luck. I was fortunate in my business 'career' to be able to retire in my mid-late 40s. Got into rentals but also started a couple small businesses to keep busy (and make $). One was in the medical field, but not what you're talking about. My wife's career was in the short and long-term assisted living field. I know they always had a need for what you're talking about. Some nursing homes have their own vehicle and an employee would do the driving, etc and other homes contracted it out. Normally (her experience) the homes that had their own van...the employees didn't want to do it. Too much of a hassle I guess. So they were always looking for someone to do it...either in or out of their location.
If you contract with a facility (nursing home, assisted living) most times they file the insurance, etc and you would just be a flat contractual rate. If you transport people from there home to a location (doctor, etc) you could either charge a flat fee to them, or you could go the route of being a business, get set up with insurance companies (Medicare, etc.) to do the billing, and so forth.
Had a talk w/the Mrs. I was wrong in an area or two, and of course rules & regulations can be different for different states. If contracted with a nursing home...the home does not file the insurance, etc for the cost of transport. It's up to the patient and/or the transport company. So if the transport company does the filing for Medicare, Medicaid, etc. the company would have to be set up with these. That would require what's called a NPI number. All doctors, hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, etc have such a number. So I assume the transport company would have to have a NPI number. I've set NPIs up for doctors, nurses and so forth but it's been a number of years so I'm a little vague. I know it's an application type but I don't remember all the requirements. Here's a starting point....https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Administrative-Simplification/NationalProvIdentStand
She mentioned that if you set something up on your own, picking folks up at their house, etc that she felt the auto insurance would probably be very high. So something you might want to run past your agent.

Unless you can do it cheaper, faster or better than your competition I'd avoid it. Minimize overhead and leverage expert knowledge. Current situation is a great example. How big of a hit would this model have taken this year with elective surgeries being shut down? Also, any business that competes even remotely with Uber, Amazon, Google or one of the other behemoths is doomed. If you're lucky maybe you get folded in, but even that is probably not as great as it sounds to some.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT