ADVERTISEMENT

AD signs biggest NBA contract extension ever

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38135013/lakers-anthony-davis-agree-nba-richest-annual-extension

Los Angeles Lakers forward Anthony Davis has agreed on a three-year, $186 million maximum contract extension, tying him to the franchise through 2028 for a total of $270 million, Klutch Sports CEO Rich Paul told ESPN on Friday.

Davis' deal is the richest annual contract extension in NBA history, averaging $62 million a season.

Davis, who had two years and $84 million left on his contract, became eligible to sign the three-year extension on Friday, and Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka and Paul moved quickly to complete a deal.

Sweet. =)

Wow, happy for AD (though I can't stand the Lakers) but these contracts are just ridiculous. $62 million a year to play a game. I understand the business aspect but, still. And, the fans get caught with footing a lot of the bill with expensive tickets, parking, concession costs, merchandising expenses, etc. Our country is crazy for their sports though so I guess we share some of the blame for all this. Good for AD, get what you can while you can.

Wow, happy for AD (though I can't stand the Lakers) but these contracts are just ridiculous. $62 million a year to play a game. I understand the business aspect but, still. And, the fans get caught with footing a lot of the bill with expensive tickets, parking, concession costs, merchandising expenses, etc. Our country is crazy for their sports though so I guess we share some of the blame for all this. Good for AD, get what you can while you can.

We actually share all of the blame. We are the market that allows the salary. If we didn't pay the prices for all the nonsense, or watch the games in the numbers we do, the salaries wouldn't be there.

Good for AD and happy for him....

I think Lakers only have 1 more run before the team needs to be blown up.
LeBron has 1 maybe 2 more realistic shots at a title before he won’t be able to play the minutes required to win. Now that Bronny has health conecerns no telling how that will affect his career going Forward and that’s all Bron was waiting on really. He don’t need any more seasons. He’s won everything he needs to, and has the scoring record.

Reactions: DraftCat
That’s about $1M per game that he plays, or $2M per home game. That ($62M) was about the full NFL team (50+ players) salary cap in 2000.
It is beyond comprehension how that can be profitable for a team! But I guess it must be.

100% agree. I'm happy to see most former cats get paid but they are making it damn near impossible for quite a few fans to attend a live game. Parking, tickets and god forbid you get something to eat or drink there as well as dealing with some of the absolute idiot fans at times, it's just not worth it to me

Reactions: ORCAT
I’m with others here. Good for the ‘la familia’ stats and for AD, but I’d be willing to wager that this will go down in history as one of the worst contracts in the history of sports.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
If he didn't get it, a rich owner would have

We actually share all of the blame. We are the market that allows the salary. If we didn't pay the prices for all the nonsense, or watch the games in the numbers we do, the salaries wouldn't be there.
Speak for yourself! I would never be part of professional sports in any way. Those who are should be ashamed of themselves.

That Roman Circus is for the sheep!

Reactions: TFCats11
As a Lakers fan taking the AD narrative out of it...

This was absolutely horrible deal unless they plan on trading him after this season. I personally don't think he can carry a team as a #1 you need elite passing skills like Jokic to do so as a big. Lebron with everything going on in his personal life has to be really considering stepping down.

Not this old body...nowatchie, no merchandise...nothing. Maybe he can lead the way to get CCC his new babysitting facility.

Good for AD and all of the players that can get an idiotic ownership to pay them that kind of money, regardless of the sport. I am waiting to see what Shohei Ohtani signs when he hit the free agency market this off season in baseball. I lost track of these ridiculous contracts when Fred Van Fleet signed to make over $41 million per season in the NBA. On the other hand, I saw the other day where someone paid over $100K for a signed Arch Manning card..

Geez...love me some AD, but I would never pay a guy who seems to be consistently hurt that much money.

And I get it, if the Lakers didn't do it, some other team probably would have. But man, the dude seems so fragile, just not worth it to me.
U r exactly correct- I live in Phx and watch some west coast NBA and he is hurt all the time and even when he plays, I just don't see a dominant player, either on offense or defense but good for AD- just go cash those big checks baby !!

R.ea18a2a814bfaff6673e03acebbe056f

Reactions: J_Dee
Very true.

Actually China funded, in a round about way though it is U.S. funding...

"The NBA is the most followed sports league in China making China its biggest market."

"How much money does China have in the NBA?

around $5 billion

The NBA's China business is worth around $5 billion. NBA owners have more than $10 billion invested in Chinese businesses, led by Brooklyn Nets owner Joseph Tsai."

Love AD but no way would I pay him that kind of money. Too many injuries.

This contract might be as bad as Cals before it is over with.

Actually China funded, in a round about way though it is U.S. funding...

"The NBA is the most followed sports league in China making China its biggest market."

"How much money does China have in the NBA?

around $5 billion

The NBA's China business is worth around $5 billion. NBA owners have more than $10 billion invested in Chinese businesses, led by Brooklyn Nets owner Joseph Tsai."
It’s consumer funded.

U r exactly correct- I live in Phx and watch some west coast NBA and he is hurt all the time and even when he plays, I just don't see a dominant player, either on offense or defense but good for AD- just go cash those big checks baby !!
I live in Phoenix, any good alumni spots to watch games?

Lakers are no doubt hoping like crazy that he stays healthy and can play say 80% of the games.
But AD will be making $66M per year in 5 years....He has played 56. 62.36.40 and 56 games the last 5 years (one of those was the shortened covid year to be fair)....but simply put he isn't getting younger and he can't play 60 games in a year. So to pay him this much 5 years out feels pretty silly to be honest. I'd just ride out the current which ends next year and see how it plays out.

I guess from the Lakers perspective they have traded away draft picks beyond that and don't want to go full rebuild and hope that another star will take up iwth Davis when Lebron leaves......but he Davis plays 40 games....will it even matter? But NBA is monopoly money now (I guess the China ass kissing has made the sport global and the extra money has to be overseas driven).

I still can't watch it until 2nd round of playoffs is all I find value in watching.

Reactions: KFuqua
There has to be a stopping point sometime for all these high deals.

The players get 50% of league revenue. Salary caps are calculated based on league revenue. If the league makes less money than they currently are, that'll be the stopping point on the player deals increasing.

True, but it's the fans who are paying the bills of these players, that's the point.
It's not in the players' hands though, its in the owners'. Owners could choose to reduce their prices and accept less revenue and less profit. Since salaries are based on a percentage of team revenue, the player salaries would go down. Everyone always looks at this and points at the players. But it's the billionaire owner who is setting the prices at the level they think will maximize how much MORE wealth they can add to their hoard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT