ADVERTISEMENT

ACC still looking at picking up more teams

I’m quite sure the Big 10 had very smart people do the math to ensure that the increased revenue share from adding the West coast teams will exceed the increased travel expenses.

Otherwise, those four schools never would’ve gotten the invitation.
But I am looking at it from the perspective of new programs coming in from this point on.

If the deal is relatively the same between the SEC and Big 10, wouldn’t UNC or UVA look at the travel expenses (not just monetary, but also time out of class) before deciding?

I am sure the accountants work everything out, I am just speculating that travel differences could be one of the deciding factors as schools weigh their options.

The conferences obviously know that it is to their advantage to expand, I was talking about teams deciding to join said conference or joining a different conference.

Reactions: UK90
I can just imagine the scheduling nightmare in sports like basketball that play twice a week.
They will play an east coast schedule and a west coast schedule. Teams will stay out west for multiple games and vice versa. It won’t be as difficult as some are making it. They may even go to a pod system.

They will play an east coast schedule and a west coast schedule. Teams will stay out west for multiple games and vice versa. It won’t be as difficult as some are making it. They may even go to a pod system.
That would suck. Stuck in some rainy northwest town having to take remote classes leading up to a game that only fans of the two schools involved will watch.
The primetime window for college football kick-off's is Sat's, 3pm-8pm. At least for those that have massive fanbases and will carve out the time to be in front of the TV.
I don't care what anyone tells you, a Noon kickoff isn't preferable to a 3:30 kick.

Reactions: ganner918
That would suck. Stuck in some rainy northwest town having to take remote classes leading up to a game that only fans of the two schools involved will watch.
The primetime window for college football kick-off's is Sat's, 3pm-8pm. At least for those that have massive fanbases and will carve out the time to be in front of the TV.
I don't care what anyone tells you, a Noon kickoff isn't preferable to a 3:30 kick.
You may not like it, but I’m just saying it’s not as difficult as some make it out to be. Also there is a good size population west of Oklahoma that TV broadcasts to. Better to have Clemson vs Oregon State than an American Idol rerun.

It long ago stopped being about logic, what fans want, or whats good for the sport. Its all about money, everything else be damned.

If Stanford, Cal and SMU and willing to buy their way in, and the ACC can use the extra funds to help hold FSU, Clemson & UNC in the conference ...... then thats what they have to do.

Brutal for Oregon State and Washington State that Cal and Stanford are potentially joining the ACC. Was a bad situation for them anyways, but just gets worse.

It's very similar to the mid 90's when Texas A&M, Texas, Baylor and Texas Tech joined the new Big 12 conference and Houston, TCU, SMU and Rice were left out in the cold. Houston and TCU have since rebounded to a major conference and SMU is possibly going to the ACC.

Washington State and Oregon State are basically going to turn into Rice.

I’m curious to understand how the ACC Network revenue sharing fits into this.

Is that on top of the extra $72 million the ACC will receive if these three schools join, or does the $72 million count towards the revenue share amount?

If the revenue share is additional money, then the ACC could see perhaps as much as an additional $70+ million if ESPN is able to negotiate in-market subscriber fees for Pay TV subscribers living in California and Texas.

Brutal for Oregon State and Washington State that Cal and Stanford are potentially joining the ACC. Was a bad situation for them anyways, but just gets worse.

It's very similar to the mid 90's when Texas A&M, Texas, Baylor and Texas Tech joined the new Big 12 conference and Houston, TCU, SMU and Rice were left out in the cold. Houston and TCU have since rebounded to a major conference and SMU is possibly going to the ACC.

Washington State and Oregon State are basically going to turn into Rice.
I assume the only route left for OSU and WSU to take would be to join the Mountain West, correct?

I assume the only route left for OSU and WSU to take would be to join the Mountain West, correct?
That’s it. I thought if they could hang on to Cal and Stanford, they could have invited the Mountain West to join them and have a PAC 16. Either way, it would have been a huge step down from the power conferences.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
It's a longshot, but they could also try to build their own new conference. Best available (imo) without going TOO far East are :

Boise, San Diego St, Fresno St to fill in a Western Division
UTSA, Tulane, Air Force, Memphis, WKU

You'd have something that isn't a power conference conference, but would stand head and shoulders above the others as the 5th strongest. If they join the Mountain West, they're in competition with the AAC and even the Sun Belt.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
It's a longshot, but they could also try to build their own new conference. Best available (imo) without going TOO far East are :

Boise, San Diego St, Fresno St to fill in a Western Division
UTSA, Tulane, Air Force, Memphis, WKU

You'd have something that isn't a power conference conference, but would stand head and shoulders above the others as the 5th strongest. If they join the Mountain West, they're in competition with the AAC and even the Sun Belt.
Still that would be steps lower than the Big 12 which is already a step below the B10 and the SEC.

That's insane and a terrible decision by SMU.
Why wouldn't SMU be more desirable to the Big 12? Even with Baylor and Texas Tech, the Big 12 doesn't have nearly enough presence in Texas.
Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, and Houston. Texas Tech was runner up in basketball in 2019. Houston was in the final 4 in 2021. Baylor won the championship in 2021. TCU was runner up in football this year. The only school the Big 12 needs is Texas. But that ain’t happening.

Reactions: TyCatPrice14
I think we're maybe 2-3 yrs away from power football just breaking away from the NCAA. If basketball was smart, they'd make a play to go with them.

The big question is going to be how big are the willing to split the pie? 30 teams? 40? 60?

Pro sports all seem to hold around 30 right now. Certainly more programs will want in the college league. But at some point, economics dictates the surviving number, right? The rest go back to "amateur" sports? Hard to imagine the next 20 years to be honest.

Also, might be time to rethink that tax exempt status if they break away. Just sayin'.

Smart for the SEC to wait until the dust settles before adding Clemson, FSU and perhaps Va Tech.
RIght, a lot of folks saying that teams will leave ACC for B1G which will happen, but how much of a difference will it be for them to leave the ACC and join B1G? They also have teams on the west coast. Those three teams should all join SEC, they still make money and are also regional.

Yep. And they are wayyyyy out west/NW which doesn’t make sense for the ACC to pick up and force their charter members to make that trip or to make those 2 teams be on the road every week playing in the eastern time zone when they have class/practice in the pacific time zone the following day. Those teams would essentially have to live in hotels for the length of basketball season. At least football is only on Saturday
It's all about the money. Education (student athlete) matters little.

I know conference names stopped meaning anything long ago, but having schools smack dab on the Pacific Coast now in the “Atlantic Coast” conference might be my favorite misnomer yet.

I know conference names stopped meaning anything long ago, but having schools smack dab on the Pacific Coast now in the “Atlantic Coast” conference might be my favorite misnomer yet.
I remember as a kid thinking how come the Dallas Cowboys and St. Louis football Cardinals are in the NFC East and the Atlanta Falcons and New Orleans Saints were in the NFC West? Then it was worse when the Cardinals moved to Phoenix. Geography has always taken a backseat to other considerations and it just keeps getting worse.

I remember as a kid thinking how come the Dallas Cowboys and St. Louis football Cardinals are in the NFC East and the Atlanta Falcons and New Orleans Saints were in the NFC West? Then it was worse when the Cardinals moved to Phoenix. Geography has always taken a backseat to other considerations and it just keeps getting worse.
You mean it takes a backseat to money? Lol

Reactions: sefleming
In a stunning concession, SMU agree to a package of 0 dollars in media generated revenue for the first 8 years they will be in the ACC, starting in the fall of 2024.

In addition, SMU will have to pay the American Athletic Association (their current home) an exit fee of several million dollars, a total which has yet to be negotiated.

All of this for a chance to be a Power 5 school once again, which is ironic in a sense since the AAC has been on an equal or better level than the Pac-12 for the last few years.

In a stunning concession, SMU agree to a package of 0 dollars in media generated revenue for the first 8 years they will be in the ACC, starting in the fall of 2024.
SMU is paying $$ Penance for past Sins.

In a State full of respectable Major Universities, this was the desperate last chance to $$ fix what they destroyed "under the table".

Fortunately SMU found compassion from High Moral Institutions like Miami, FSU, Loserville, UNCheaters, and Dook.

As I try to wrap my head around another turgid 18-team mega-league (17 in football, where of course Notre Dame remains independent), it's now just dawning on me that things like "Syracuse @ Cal" and "Stanford @ Boston College" are eligible to be conference games starting next year. My god, it's so hideous it's hilarious. What the hell are we doing here, folks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT