ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Gordon - Hoophall Classic 2013

UKPhilly

Junior
Jan 19, 2005
Aaron Gordon - Jan. 21 vs. Lone Peak H. S. (Highland, UT) ? Archbishop Mitty H. S. (San Jose, CA) - 6-8, PF?, 2013 - Down to Arizona, Washington, UK (ESPNU's Dave Telep says UK is #3 right now) and says he will decide after the season. I had never seen this kid and didn't know much about him. Well, he is nothing but a human highlight film! A monster block of a TJ Haws layup a foot higher than the rim and 3-4 Sports Center dunks. First, let me say that the Lone Peak team may be the best H. S. team in the country right now. They would match up against Findlay Prep better than Montverde does, but Montverde probably matches up better against Lone Peak. Gordon's team is not a very good cast of characters. Now, they aren't as bad as AD's Perspective team was, but they don't deserve to be on the floor with Lone Peak (81-46 final). And Gordon displays a great attitude with his teammates the entire game, even in this blow out.

What can he do? He can jump, I mean he can JUMP! Lots of points around the rim, but did follow up a slam with a 3. Handled the ball at the point much of the time. Worked hard on D, at times guarding 6-10 true center, BYU bound Eric Mika, then he would be trying to stick sharp-shooting PG Nick Emery. Just a real joy to watch his energy and athleticism! Stats: 13-25 FG, 1-3 3's, 0-1 FT, 27 Pts, 12 R, 3 F, 3 A, 5 TO, 1 B, 4 S.

After the game I had a chance to speak to him briefly before his ESPNU interview between games. I waited until he finished a long hug with some young lady (later I found out the young lady was his sister, Elise Gordon, who is a 6-1 junior center at Harvard), then complemented him on his game and asked if I could take a photo. He was very polite and insisted his sister get in the photo. I asked if he was picking Arizona (that's what I hear most often) and he said he had not made a decision yet. I asked if he thought he would be a 4 in college and a 3 in the NBA. He replied that he would be a 1. A 1, I asked? A 1, he said. Got me to thinking. He's from California, right?; is 6-8, right?; thinks of himself as a PG, right?; and wears number 32. Did I hear someone say "Magic"? One other thought hit me, if his sister can go east to a school in Massachusetts, what's the big deal for Aaron to go to a school east of the Mississippi River? Would absolutely love to see Aaron in Kentucky Blue!

This post was edited on 1/28 5:46 PM by UKPhilly

This post was edited on 1/28 5:47 PM by UKPhilly

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT