ADVERTISEMENT

A win over UNC is always worth 3 or 4 wins psychologically for our fanbase.

It always seems like a victory over UNC appeases the competitive bloodlust of our fan base, at least for two weeks or so.

Cal is presently 7-4 against UNC as the UK head coach.

Gotta get this win. We're 17-25 all-time against UNC. Got to close that gap even more.

How much does a victory over UNC next week satisfy your competitive itch?

Conversely, how much does a loss to UNC dampen the excitement for this young Kentucky team?
Such an alpha move by SonOfSaul to increase his font size and bold some lines. He sets the tone right away - "this is MY thread!" Kudos to you!

In all seriousness: UNC game matters. They've historically been really, really significant wins for us. They're great resume builders. It's a true BlueBlood program. Often times it foreshadows an important NCAAT game down the road.

UNC loss won't dampen my excitement unless we get steamrolled. Otherwise, I think you want competitive games against title contenders - that's why you want the Champions Classic game, that's why you want this game, that's why you want the Gonzaga game, and that's why you want the Miami game.

Obviously we WANT to win all of those games, but at the end of the day, competing against contenders is what you need in order to be one of the best. Don't go calling me a "morale victory" champion, but you don't have to win all of those games to still be in a good spot to have a post-season run at the end of it all. But you do have to play those games. I'd rather compete like hell against UNC on Saturday - no matter the W/L, than schedule Notre Dame and win by 22.

Just my take.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
The only other program coming close to our tradition is UNCheat. They lead the all time series. And yeah beating them is the best win we can have in the regular season.

Reactions: J_Dee
Too bad it's not worth 3-4 wins for our seeding.

Personally, I'm not too worried about our fans' collective psychology.
I only worry about how the hive mind is doing because I like to talk hoops and hang out in places that discuss UK ball. But it's bad for one's own health and mental well being to interface with the hive mind after a loss.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Should be a really fun game, if it’s a track meet like I expect then Kentucky needs to be prepared to run Ingram and Ryan off the 3 point line. Bacot will be a tough matchup no matter who Kentucky had/has, Davis is solid for them but is prone to a bad shooting night.
If Ugo is indeed back…he helps tremendously against Bacot just from a 5 fouls and a little more beef inside standpoint

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
We need this win badly after the UNCW letdown. We were all flying high after Miami… need to beat another quality opponent to show we are back on track. UNC has been up and down but they have played a very tough schedule to date and will not be intimidated. They obviously have some experienced players. Not sure what our best strategy is in this game, but I feel like if we can continue to make the extra pass, knock down our threes, and limit turnovers we should come out with the W.

A loss in this game isn’t the end of the world, but it would be extremely disappointing, due in no small part to the fact that we have a HOF coach and they have, well… a clown.
HOF coach in name only.

A loss in December means nothing, so long as there is knowledge gained and applied.
A single loss to a quality opponent, I agree. Multiple losses w/out a signature (Miami isn't looking so hot these days) win before the new year kills seeding. People need to stop downplaying the significance of noncon losses. Every win is important when you're trying for a memorable season.

Reactions: BBUK
Gotta hold that Ingram kid in check. He’s tough.
Ingram is a former 5-star “SF” that was expected to likely be OAD. His skill level and shooting deficiencies were exposed as a freshman. He was ok, but not efficient or consistent. Ingram stayed in school, and now as a junior his shooting has developed and his game is clicking as a PF/combo. I believe he’s now back on draft boards and being touted as a possible small ball 4 in the NBA. Any chance that Edwards would look at Ingram’s situation as a possibility if he’s not projected in the top half of the first round?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It always seems like a victory over UNC appeases the competitive bloodlust of our fan base, at least for two weeks or so.

Cal is presently 7-4 against UNC as the UK head coach.

Gotta get this win. We're 17-25 all-time against UNC. Got to close that gap even more.

How much does a victory over UNC next week satisfy your competitive itch?

Conversely, how much does a loss to UNC dampen the excitement for this young Kentucky team?

Partly right.... but, just psycho....

Git-R-Done UK.... Let no one stop you team...

A single loss to a quality opponent, I agree. Multiple losses w/out a signature (Miami isn't looking so hot these days) win before the new year kills seeding. People need to stop downplaying the significance of noncon losses. Every win is important when you're trying for a memorable season.

Yeah, get knocked out of the ranking which the next loss may do to Kentucky if UK doesn't string a couple to few good games together (The people that determine rankings has proven they drop UK drastically with a couple losses.)

If UK drops drastically by 2024 then UK will play heck with any kind of chance at a decent path ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT