ADVERTISEMENT

A step by step, move by move showcase of CCCs best worst coaching job

May 17, 2024

This is just a quick synapse of how this team was arranged and what they were or better yet were not told to do, to stop one single player.....
Then of course we can go check out the mic'd up Pope practice where he discusses in the same detail exactly how to help early recover early with this situation. Interesting contrast, to say the least.

Yeah, I didn't feel anything when we lost, due in large part to thinking we were going to lose when I saw the lineup Cal was running with that night.
I kinda feel that way but I was pissed he again lost against a way worse team with more talent, not prepared. It was just like the same game over and over we lose every time. While he stood on the sideline like he didn’t have a clue. Which he doesn’t.

I kinda feel that way but I was pissed he again lost against a way worse team with more talent, not prepared. It was just like the same game over and over we lose every time. While he stood on the sideline like he didn’t have a clue. Which he doesn’t.

I was watching highlights of Koby Brea, and watched Dayton beat Oakland by 20. Cal really did make that team look good, when they were barely mediocre.

This came out right after the tourney and went viral. It's an act, one that's funny, but he does know what he's talking about and the points are valid. That's what makes it great.

Like others, I didn't really feel anything after the loss. Sad what it had come to under Cal.

But we've moved on and it's time to roll. I was energized at the Club Blue NIL event chatting with the new players and Coach Pope. It truly is a new era. We should probably stop posting about Cal ... perhaps after this next NBA Draft when there are 2 lottery picks from a first round loss.

I posted before I knew the second he put Wagner out there and replaced the other guards with three non-shooting non-ball handling bigs to compensate for our lack of rebounding we were cooked like Thanksgiving

most of us have moved on

Well most of us have too, but it’s never too late or early for a good Cal bash. He deserves every second he gets plus the next years worth. Guy was ripping this program up and I for one love to see the pounding.

Plus he was here 15 years and pulled some of the craziest nonsense I’ve ever seen. He’s gonna be talked about for a long time. Damn sure gonna be talked about for the rest of this year some are just gonna have to accept it. Also most of the people who like these post or take issue with it seem to be the guys that backed him the most. Just thought that was interesting.

Ok

This. Golke was allowed to shoot anything he wanted. Jeez Cal all you had to do was shut him down and we’d have won going away
Jack himself even wondered why Coach Cal didn't change anything at all and let him do the same thing over and over when all he had to do was put a guy in his way to hip check him before he could get to his spot with early help

This is just a quick synapse of how this team was arranged and what they were or better yet were not told to do, to stop one single player.....
Then of course we can go check out the mic'd up Pope practice where he discusses in the same detail exactly how to help early recover early with this situation. Interesting contrast, to say the least.
How is John Calipari allowed to coach !!?? 😂

This is AWESOME.

It’s like Bobby Knight and Sam Kinison had a baby. And Cal used to beat up that baby every day and take its lunch money. But then that baby ate a lot of red meat and did a lot of pushups and toured with the merchant marines and now that baby’s all grown up and back in town and it’s payback time.

Last edited:
This is AWESOME.

It’s like Bobby Knight and Sam Kinison had a baby. And Cal used to beat up that baby every day and take its lunch money. But then that baby ate a lot of red meat and did a lot of pushups and toured with the merchant marines and now that baby’s all grown up and back in town and it’s payback time.
And that baby studied basketball and that baby ain't wrong, baby!! 🤣🤣🤣

• Love
Reactions: BlueSince92
I’m not defending Cal but those were NOT wide open threes. They could have been more contested but Golke just hit some amazing shots. We did better at taking him away in the second half and the other dude torched us. It was definitely their night to say the least. Kentucky basketball has always been a magnet to catch a guys best game even before Cal. Loften and other random white boys tore us up all the way back to Hall. I have no idea what that is. But, it is.

I’m not defending Cal but those were NOT wide open threes. They could have been more contested but Golke just hit some amazing shots. We did better at taking him away in the second half and the other dude torched us. It was definitely their night to say the least. Kentucky basketball has always been a magnet to catch a guys best game even before Cal. Loften and other random white boys tore us up all the way back to Hall. I have no idea what that is. But, it is.

He hit some big shots, regardless of how they came to be, you still have to make them and he did all game long.

But as the video shows, you can't just get a hand up on a shooter like that. You have to play the screener, defend the curl / stagger action (not just the shooter), and be in your spot before he gets to his. It was just poor defensive coaching from top to bottom.

The UNC Wilmington loss at Rupp should have let us know that we could lose to anyone at any time.

Reactions: BigBlueTrue75
He hit some big shots, regardless of how they came to be, you still have to make them and he did all game long.

But as the video shows, you can't just get a hand up on a shooter like that. You have to play the screener, defend the curl / stagger action (not just the shooter), and be in your spot before he gets to his. It was just poor defensive coaching from top to bottom.
Exactly, you must place your strongest defender in the way and hip check that shooter mercilessly, interrupting the path to their spots, getting them out of rhythm making them stutter step and have to readjust. They always went over the screen( because it was a stagger) it seems like trying to defend the shooter from behind them on the perimeter, absolutely horrible!! They needed to go under the screen not over it and early help on other side, and cow never made them lol

As others have posted, it’s not that the guy didn’t hit tough shots, he did. But the overall team defensive awareness was atrocious. Not understanding where the help defense was, or guys like DJ and Rob and Reed and Antonio just floating in no man’s land or gambling at the worst possible times were just symptoms of a team not properly prepared.

Cal used to coach defense, or at least someone on staff did. It just went straight to shit this year and now knowing that he was already looking for outs during the season, it’s more than obvious the team was not coached well and Cal didn’t particularly care.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT