ADVERTISEMENT

A Quick Average of D-line Weight

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
Looking at the best rosters I could find for UK and U of L, I did a rundown of average weights for “DT’s” “DL’s,” N’s” and DE’s.”

UK’s averaged 298, and U of L’s 256.

Both programs have youngsters in their first year at the 260 range, but U of L’s heaviest D-Line guy is currently listed at Nose and at 290 pounds.

When discussed on their forum, many say Satterfield prefers speedy linemen, but without an influx of transfers, they will likely continue having trouble with teams with large O-linemen.

That's light. Wouldn't want to play behind that if I were a LBer.

I looked because I know the target weight at UNC is 285 minimum. But six of our ten are over 300. Not sure about the average.

I don't know if Sat hasn't made the adjustment or what. Recruiting was always going to be a struggle, but I thought he'd do alright there. Not with those lines though - 260ish is G5 level.

Reactions: matt_man
Looking at the best rosters I could find for UK and U of L, I did a rundown of average weights for “DT’s” “DL’s,” N’s” and DE’s.”

Both programs have youngsters in their first year at the 260 range, but U of L’s heaviest D-Line guy is currently listed at Nose and at 290 pounds.

When discussed on their forum, many say Satterfield prefers speedy linemen, but without an influx of transfers, they will likely continue having trouble with teams with large O-linemen.
Who do we have at DL listed in the 260”s? Paschal is probably the lightest guy in the two deep at 280 pounds I believe. The Jack and Sam are linebacker positions in this defense.

DE Paschal 6”4 280
DE Abule 6”6 305
DE Anaele 6”4 275
NG Bully 6”3 350
NG Rogers 6”4 325
NG Hayes 6”3 314
DT OX 6”1 305
DT Gibson 6”4 318
DT Rybka 6”4 310

Average height is 6”3 3/4 Average weight is 308 pounds. That’s a pretty good size 3 deep DL.

Who do we have at DL listed in the 260”s? Paschal is probably the lightest guy in the two deep at 280 pounds I believe. The Jack and Sam are linebacker positions in this defense.

DE Paschal 6”4 280
DE Abule 6”6 305
DE Anaele 6”4 275
NG Bully 6”3 350
NG Rogers 6”4 325
NG Hayes 6”3 314
DT OX 6”1 305
DT Gibson 6”4 318
DT Rybka 6”4 310

Average height is 6”3 3/4 Average weight is 308 pounds. That’s a pretty good size 3 deep DL.
Saunders. Hack said youngsters.

That's light. Wouldn't want to play behind that if I were a LBer.

I looked because I know the target weight at UNC is 285 minimum. But six of our ten are over 300. Not sure about the average.

I don't know if Sat hasn't made the adjustment or what. Recruiting was always going to be a struggle, but I thought he'd do alright there. Not with those lines though - 260ish is G5 level.
UGA has 14 DL, 10 or 300-320, 2 at 295. 1 at 280 and one at 1 at 275, the one at 275 covers on kickoffs, very good athlete, and very likely a starter, he can get pressure.

Satterfield sold everyone coming in he liked smaller quicker linemen. Thats fine and good until every single game you get outweighed by thirty to forty pounds at every single position. Its a real good way to get some kids hurt.

I watched us struggle for decades with small defenses. Some kids sort of “broke through:” Joey Couch earned some All SEC mention, perhaps out of sheer respect playing DT at 245 pounds in the early 90’s.

Last edited:
Who do we have at DL listed in the 260”s?

Here is the full roster:

I averaged ALL players at both schools listed as “DL,” “DT” “Nose,” and “DE.” I did not limit it to the two-deep or three-deep for either school, as I would be hard pressed to distinguish U of L’s two or three-deep.

To answer your question directly, the Bascom brothers and at least one other are pretty light. They are on the roster, so they are a part of any team wide/position-specific average, as I described in the OP.

Last edited:
Satterfield sold everyone coming in he liked smaller quicker linemen. Thats fine and good until every single game you get outweighed by thirty to forty pounds at every single position. Its a real good way to get some kids hurt.
How quick are they laying on their backs? :) :) :)

UGA has 14 DL, 10 or 300-320, 2 at 295. 1 at 280 and one at 1 at 275, the one at 275 covers on kickoffs, very good athlete, and very likely a starter, he can get pressure.
Yea very few teams nowadays uses the big DL like UK and GA used to. Even in the NFL the DLines are getting smaller. I think what you are seeing is teams adjusting by using the smash mouth run game with a bigger back and hitting PA off of it. Titans have revived Tannehills career using this philosophy.

I think what you are seeing is teams adjusting by using the smash mouth run game with a bigger back and hitting PA off of it. Titans have revived Tannehills career using this philosophy.

And you see in college ball, guys like Boom Williams and CRod earning an average yards per carry marks that make Herschel and Bo jealous.

And in college, you see good defensive teams trust their back 7/8 to stop passing attacks, and the blessed few can still have massive size and speed up front.

I think we are among the “blessed few.”

And you see in college ball, guys like Boom Williams and CRod earning an average yards per carry marks that make Herschel and Bo jealous.

And in college, you see good defensive teams trust their back 7/8 to stop passing attacks, and the blessed few can still have massive size and speed up front.

I think we are among the “blessed few.”
Yea we are. We got some hog daddies up front.

DE Paschal 6”4 280
DE Abule 6”6 305
DE Anaele 6”4 275
NG Bully 6”3 350
NG Rogers 6”4 325
NG Hayes 6”3 314
DT OX 6”1 305
DT Gibson 6”4 318
DT Rybka 6”4 310

That’s a lot of talent. Crazy how far we’ve came. I can honestly see 6 guys with NFL talent on that list. At least.

Yea very few teams nowadays uses the big DL like UK and GA used to. Even in the NFL the DLines are getting smaller. I think what you are seeing is teams adjusting by using the smash mouth run game with a bigger back and hitting PA off of it. Titans have revived Tannehills career using this philosophy.

Yep, even the athletic 330-350+ lb guys are limited, they just can run and chase QB all game and that's where the game is today. Add that to the fact once they get tired they are mostly done for the day. UGA wants Davis at a max 320 at 6'6", everyday is a battle, but he is so much better there than even at 330. I am sure it's the same for McCall and Bohannon last year.

Yep, even the athletic 330-350+ lb guys are limited, they just can run and chase QB all game and that's where the game is today. Add that to the fact once they get tired they are mostly done for the day. UGA wants Davis at a max 320 at 6'6", everyday is a battle, but he is so much better there than even at 330. I am sure it's the same for McCall and Bohannon last year.
Yep, McCall was explosive last year but you could tell he got gassed easily.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Yep, McCall was explosive last year but you could tell he got gassed easily.

I don't know how big he actually was, but reports here were saying 370+. No way that is good on him for his career or health. Joints just aren't made to carry that much.

I don't know how big he actually was, but reports here were saying 370+. No way that is good on him for his career or health. Joints just aren't made to carry that much.
I would say he was every bit of that. Carried a lot in the midsection so it wasn’t good weight. He needs to be a big guy for the job he’s asked to do but I think he would even agree that last year he carried too much weight.

Weight is important but the great teams have 300 pounders that are quicker than a 250 pound lb. You can eat to get heavier but you can’t teach football quickness. If you can’t get from point a to point b to make a block or tackle your team is doomed IMHO.

Reactions: kritikalcat
256 p/ man avg at the P5 level for a DL is too small. A healthier average range is probably low 280s. Ours is higher bc we play a different scheme than your more common 4-3 defense and Stoops likes the HUGE nose tackles. Also ours is skewed bc we only include 3 positions of the traditional D-line and aren't counting the hybrid LB/DE position....which would normalize our D-Line avg.

I guess the gist of it is that UofL's D-Line is way too small

I guess the gist of it is that UofL's D-Line is way too small

Well, here is a quote from their board that brags about their weights:

“Incoming freshmen Sorenson in now 273. Banks is 267 on campus YaYa Diaby is 272, ,Ramon Puryear is 269, A.Gillote is 252, Zack Edwards is270 add the DL transfer and the beef is

getting a lot better.”

OK. Of the six players listed by weight . . . they average 267. And presumably these are their bigger players, as the gist of the post was bragging about their size.

Add in their one D-line transfer from Southern Miss at 6’ 1” and 289, and the average weight of the seven “heavies” listed is 270?!?!

Last edited:
I think Marquan was below 350 for the Spring, and earned praise for stepping up his effort to be a lengthier contributor in 2021.
It's odd how Big Mo can motivate players to get in better shape when they see the NFL money. I've seen where Mr. Bohanna is now 330 or below. If McCall can get in the 340 range with his quickness and the quality depth our Dline could be special. I'm just a rd worried about the Linebackers but we all think help is on the way, two quality recruits.

Just made a comment on another thread about this before I saw this more appropriate thread. Article out today with the UL roster and it is shocking seeing their sizes on both lines. Reading the commentary looks like their depth on both lines is not good quality wise.

Here is the link and the listed sizes of D-linemen.

Defensive Line
Tabarius Peterson (R-Sr., 6-3, 260)
Derek Dorsey (R-Sr., 6-3, 275)
Jacques Turner (R-Sr., 6-1, 289)
Malik Clark (R-Jr., 6-2, 290)
Dayna Kinnaird (R-Jr., 6-3, 270)
YaYa Diaby (Jr., 6-4, 255)
Zach Edwards (R-Fr., 6-3, 265)
Ramon Puryear (R-Fr., 6-3, 255)
Ja'Darien Boykin (Fr., 6-0, 250)
Henry Bryant (Fr., 5-11, 275)
Jared Dawson (Fr., 6-1, 258)
Dezmond Tell (Fr., 6-1, 266)
Caleb Banks (Fr., 6-6, 255)
Victoine Brown (Fr., 6-4, 227)
Ryheem Craig (Fr, 6-3, 212)
Ashton Gilotte (Fr., 6-2, 212)
RJ Sorenson (Fr., 6-4, 240)

Even taking just their Juniors and Seniors, those six average just 282.

There are 11 freshmen listed, and no Sophmores.

Last edited:

Ya the reports were over 370 and he looked over 400. Hopefully one day he can lose a human being in weight because long term that is not good if you want to live beyond 50

Here is the link and the listed sizes of D-linemen.

Defensive Line
Tabarius Peterson (R-Sr., 6-3, 260)
Derek Dorsey (R-Sr., 6-3, 275)
Jacques Turner (R-Sr., 6-1, 289)
Malik Clark (R-Jr., 6-2, 290)
Dayna Kinnaird (R-Jr., 6-3, 270)
YaYa Diaby (Jr., 6-4, 255)
Zach Edwards (R-Fr., 6-3, 265)
Ramon Puryear (R-Fr., 6-3, 255)
Ja'Darien Boykin (Fr., 6-0, 250)
Henry Bryant (Fr., 5-11, 275)
Jared Dawson (Fr., 6-1, 258)
Dezmond Tell (Fr., 6-1, 266)
Caleb Banks (Fr., 6-6, 255)
Victoine Brown (Fr., 6-4, 227)
Ryheem Craig (Fr, 6-3, 212)
Ashton Gilotte (Fr., 6-2, 212)
RJ Sorenson (Fr., 6-4, 240)

Even taking just their Juniors and Seniors, those six average just 282.

There are 11 freshmen listed, and no Sophmores.
That looks like the size of UK’s D-Line…. 25 years ago

Yea very few teams nowadays uses the big DL like UK and GA used to. Even in the NFL the DLines are getting smaller.

Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama, Florida and Clemson all have at least 5 players on the D-line exceeding 300 pounds.

The only program that is relevant, annually, who does not have them is Oklahoma, but they have several in the 290-300 pound range.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT