ADVERTISEMENT

A. J Dybantsa and UK

Seems odd to offer 17 players. If 5-6 of the 5 * commit that sounds like the last 12 years.
I'm just guessing here... but I suspect Pope only anticipates perhaps landing 3, maybe 4 such targets from the HS ranks, and expects to replace the remaining vacated roster spots with experienced transfers. Seems like these days that's really the sensible approach... try to balance your roster with young, highly talented freshman and skilled, seasoned veterans.

Personally I don’t expect Pope to be serious about the top 5 type guys right now. I think he’ll really try for at least one top 15-20 guy. Guys like Cenac, Tounde, Jasper coming to mind. Then I think he’ll cast a wide net from like 20-100 with a sweet spot between 25-50. Good enough to contribute year 1 but not rated so high that they demand starting so he can focus on the portal too.

Problem is I think that sweet spot I mentioned is very competitive. Use Mullins and Reibe as examples. Those being the most recent offers were also watched at the same time by Pope as Hurley for each at their scholastic event this past weekend.

I think PG and PF are the clear positions to watch. He can literally promise almost unlimited minutes at those spots. Will be worrisome if he doesn’t close on dudes there.

Is it bad that I want the guy for CMP as much as I want him to play for us?
I really believe Coach just needs to land that first elite guy…after that I think it’ll be a domino effect
Why would that be bad? They both have the same end result.

I think dybsanta, Bradley, and cenac are the most talented trio for this class. If we land one of them I'll be ecstatic. Of course johnson, Moreno, and Magwood are excellent players too.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Seems odd to offer 17 players. If 5-6 of the 5 * commit that sounds like the last 12 years.
If the 5 guys that can return do return for next season, I could see Pope bringing in 5 freshmen for 25-26. But I don't think it's like the past under Calipari. I think Pope’s freshmen recruiting will be more akin to the approach of Hurley and Self – which is trying to build continuity and a base for the future while winning now. The guys I see mentioned more with UK are in the 10 – 50 range in the recruiting services, which includes really good KY kids and other high skill level guys. Of course, I'm guessing (and hoping) this is the approach Pope is taking based on trying to read the proverbial tea leaves.

Personally, I think Nate Ament “Can” be just as good for less money, especially for what Pope is . I would hate AJ going to UConn though. But, if he wants to commit, let’s go!

Reactions: Fox2monk
I really want AJ the most out of any 2025 player!

Pope just doesn’t have a record with OAD athletes so I think it’s a long shot. He can go play for Calipari and care nothing about anything but his draft prospect and we don’t do that anymore. But I can honestly say if a player wants to play for Cal we don’t need to even offer at times. They’re not interested in winning most times and it’s just a layover to the draft. Just doesn’t help the team.

For Pope I think we will look more to the potential OAD’s Duke goes after than the ones Cal does. Dead honest many times over if a player has Calipari in his final 2 or 3 I do not want him. I want the players that, even if they are OAD, want to play and be part of a family and a system. The ones that feel pride in playing for a blue blood. Those typically stay clear of Calipari.

Yes there are exceptions and quite a few. Go after the ones that appear to be.

Pope just doesn’t have a record with OAD athletes so I think it’s a long shot. He can go play for Calipari and care nothing about anything but his draft prospect and we don’t do that anymore. But I can honestly say if a player wants to play for Cal we don’t need to even offer at times. They’re not interested in winning most times and it’s just a layover to the draft. Just doesn’t help the team.

For Pope I think we will look more to the potential OAD’s Duke goes after than the ones Cal does. Dead honest many times over if a player has Calipari in his final 2 or 3 I do not want him. I want the players that, even if they are OAD, want to play and be part of a family and a system. Those typically stay clear of Calipari.
So what about the portal transfers that have Cal in their final lists? After all, we ended up getting quite a few who also had Cal and Arkansas as their last few schools remaining.

So what about the portal transfers that have Cal in their final lists? We got quite a few that came here who also had Cal and Arkansas as their last few schools remaining.

Portal players are different. Some of them think Cal might be a shot at the NBA. I get it. I don’t think he helps at all but I can see the pull. I’m talking about OAD’s. I’m not personally interested in many of the OAD’s that find Calipari attractive and I don’t think Pope is either. These are guys that want to play for a coach that said winning doesnt matter, best night draft night, he puts individuals first. No fierce competitor who’s about winning first and anything besides themselves are going to play for that kind of nonsense.

We will look more like we used to before Calipari, more of the way Duke recruited vs. Calipari at Kentucky. And I’m totally fine with that. Just not interested in kids that want to play for a guy that says winning doesn’t matter, tournaments don’t matter, headed home to pet dogs after March losses. I’m good, they need to stay with Calipari if that’s the case.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
AJ is the elite of the elite. Many are calling him the best prospect coming out of highschool since LeBron (yes that good). If Mark Pope somehow got AJ to come here then that would instantly push Pope into premiere recruiter status. You tell me what our odds are?
There are some who think Cameron Boozer is going to be a better college player.

AJ is the elite of the elite. Many are calling him the best prospect coming out of highschool since LeBron (yes that good). If Mark Pope somehow got AJ to come here then that would instantly push Pope into premiere recruiter status. You tell me what our odds are?
He's going to be elite, but we've heard the "best prospect since LeBron" thing before with a ton of guys, most of them Dukies. Okafor, Flagg, Zion, and Bagley come immediately to mind.

1. UConn
2. Arkansas
3. Auburn
4. USC
5. Kentucky

We have no shot unless we're willing to pay $2.5 million in NIL. He'd be worth it.
If they pony up that much for him, then we should too honestly, he’s the level player worth that kinda deal. Like I’d not hesitate to pay John Wall or AD a deal like that.

He's going to be elite, but we've heard the "best prospect since LeBron" thing before with a ton of guys, most of them Dukies. Okafor, Flagg, Zion, and Bagley come immediately to mind.
They should use best since AD or best since Zion. Guys that are capable of having that kinda impact. I mean LeBron is a once in 50 years type of talent honestly. The others are every 15 year type players.

We gotta remember it's not how many stars are beside the name it's the fit in the roster Pope has for that year in his system. It might be a hungry low 4 star who comes in and burns it up in his system and the 5 star we wanted might not play as hard or just protecting his draft status and getting his own over team play. Whether it's a 3, 4 or 5 star we kinda just gotta watch and hope that's what coach needed on the roster and see what the results are. After all I'm sick of recruiting titles I want results in March. We've had tons of 5 stars and draft picks the last 5 years and it's only led to one NCAAT win. Just win baby I don't care what the players ranking are anymore. Matter of fact I read in the final 4 this year out of all 4 teams only ONE top 5 star frosh was in the rotation. I'm sure I read it here. Saying all that I would love to have AJ @ UK next year.

I think elite recruits are timid on UK at the moment, and rightfully so.

After we succeed this year and they see the offense Pope will run and how much fun and scoring is going on plus we win then we will see more and more recruits commit to UK.
Exactly what I think
This will take some time

You are correct, and this term is pushed out too often and too loosely. This is just what many are calling him.

Is it bad that I want the guy for CMP as much as I want him to play for us?
I really believe Coach just needs to land that first elite guy…after that I think it’ll be a domino effect
I think you are correct. Recruits are looking for a reason to commit and just being cautious now with a new coach and new system. Pope will get it going and I expect the quality of recruits will only improve. The UK National stage, tradition and BBN will only make it easier for a fast start. I don't expect Pope will be looking to load up on all 5-stars but rather a mix of talent to "fit" his system and style which will sustain the roster year over year.

For Pope I think we will look more to the potential OAD’s Duke goes after than the ones Cal does. Dead honest many times over if a player has Calipari in his final 2 or 3 I do not want him. I want the players that, even if they are OAD, want to play and be part of a family and a system. The ones that feel pride in playing for a blue blood. Those typically stay clear of Calipari.

I fervently and righteously hope and pray that Pope and staff have no such thing as this weird proposal for a Calipari filter.

Just let this dude identify who fits how, why, and how much both on and off the court.

The only reason without salt as a primary ingredient to even think about who Calipari is recruiting is making sure the checking account is properly flush but that goes for Self and about everyone else.

Ceding players that are good kids that want to win and fit your system is malpractice not 3D chess.

Morgousky here knows exactly what these players care about. They’re not interested in winning, just a layover to the draft because it’s impossible to care about both. More raftard ignorance from King Raftard Morgousky. The most clueless know it all that you will ever meet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT