ADVERTISEMENT

A cloudy future for UK basketball

Rush2112 UK

Junior
Dec 3, 2006
A few things to remember about how precarious the state of Kentucky Basketball is:

*It’s currently dead, with no hope of revival under Calipari. That much is increasingly self-evident.

*The fool who gave Tubby Smith an insane contract, hired a search firm that delivered Billy Gillispie, and gave the keys to the castle away with Cal’s contract, is still at the helm of the athletics department.

*If Calipari walked away tomorrow, this idiot would be- at the very least- heavily involved in the coaching search.

*Ergo, we’d be just as likely to have another Gillispie-like interlude as actually making a great hire.

*If that happens, we may not be lucky enough for this new coach to hand the administration his head on a platter, a la GIllispie. Imagine 4-5 years of continued futility instead of just 2.

*So, the Program is once again teetering on the precipice of an even deeper plunge into mediocrity which may have no obvious or quick resolution.

It’s not a bit hyperbolic to suggest that Kentucky Basketball may be in the worst predicament of its long, proud history. You can “hope for the best,” but my advice to all serious UK fans would be to prepare for an immediate- and even intermediate- future of diminished fortune.

I’m already emotionally checked out. That’s the only solace to be found.

A few things to remember about how precarious the state of Kentucky Basketball is:

*It’s currently dead, with no hope of revival under Calipari. That much is increasingly self-evident.

*The fool who gave Tubby Smith an insane contract, hired a search firm that delivered Billy Gillispie, and gave the keys to the castle away with Cal’s contract, is still at the helm of the athletics department.

*If Calipari walked away tomorrow, this idiot would be- at the very least- heavily involved in the coaching search.

*Ergo, we’d be just as likely to have another Gillispie-like interlude as actually making a great hire.

*If that happens, we may not be lucky enough for this new coach to hand the administration his head on a platter, a la GIllispie. Imagine 4-5 years of continued futility instead of just 2.

*So, the Program is once again teetering on the precipice of an even deeper plunge into mediocrity which may have no obvious or quick resolution.

It’s not a bit hyperbolic to suggest that Kentucky Basketball may be in the worst predicament of its long, proud history. You can “hope for the best,” but my advice to all serious UK fans would be to prepare for an immediate- and even intermediate- future of diminished fortune.

That’s just not true anymore . With the portal , you can have a good team overnight . It’s different than it used to be , as far as ‘rebuilding ‘ , etc . Hire a coach , he brings a couple of his players or others in the portal , and pop one top 40 recruit …and bam . It’s s whole new game . Even in football , with the number of players involved….check out Deion’s roster at Colorado in August , and they’ve been awful as a program for years .

And the fool with the women's basketball coach and the new Stoops extension. He is a terrible AD.

That’s just not true anymore . With the portal , you can have a good team overnight . It’s different than it used to be , as far as ‘rebuilding ‘ , etc . Hire a coach , he brings a couple of his players or others in the portal , and pop one top 40 recruit …and bam . It’s s whole new game . Even in football , with the number of players involved….check out Deion’s roster at Colorado in August , and they’ve been awful as a program for years .
I think you missed the point of my post. Will the portal matter if we have Gillispie, Part 2? And if you, for some mysterious reason, think that's impossible, I once again remind you that Barnhart is still here.

I think you missed the point of my post. Will the portal matter if we have Gillispie, Part 2? And if you, for some mysterious reason, think that's impossible, I once again remind you that Barnhart is still here.
I hear ya , for sure . I think if they miss the NCAA’s this year , cal is out regardless of the recruiting class. I think we’d get a good coach , but not anyone we’d expect . A top non- power five coach …
I think Mark Pope is a possibility . The money is good everywhere in power 5 nowadays, and tougher and tougher to convince someone with a good job to leave . I don’t care about buyouts if they’re bought out , & we haven’t had one prevent any firing of anyone in any sport , yet .

This is a perfect post and I totally agree. Triple C has destroyed UK basketball. Very sad.

Reactions: bigbluedon

Good points but I hope Ed doesn’t read this as he/she just can’t grasp what has happened to our program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT