ADVERTISEMENT

7 transfers - record for Kentucky

Apr 8, 2024
If in the past, under Coach Calipari, Kentucky would break record after record on how many players would leave every year and how many freshman recruits he would bring in to replace them, Coach Pope is already breaking a record of his own: He has already 7 players from transfer portal!

Of course , this is also because 7 players entered the portal from Cal era: Wagner, Hart, Burks, Thiero, Ugonna, Bradshaw, Ivisic.

Besides Ivisic and Thiero who had some unique qualities, I think the incoming 7 are better fit to play in Coach Pope system. What we are losing in some length and athleticism, we are making up on experience, defense, and 3 points shooting and this done deliberately, by design by Coach Pope.

Obviously, we are only getting 2 freshman in Perry and Chandler , crazy names coincidence in a year when sadly the actor Mathew Perry, aka Chandler from Friends passed away. In a sad way , this could symbolize the end of freshman predominant era at Kentucky.

What Coach Pope was able to bring in in less than 3 weeks is impressive. We might not have the sexy names like in Cal’ s era , but we have a team !
Pg Butler, Kriisa, Perry
Sg Oweh , Chandler, Perry
Sf Brea, Oweh
PF Carr
C Williams, Garrison

I think the SF and PF position are a little light covered both numerically and also from athleticism point of view, but there is plenty of time . Would be interesting to see if Pope choses to go after couple of big names or he would bring back up players with few years left of eligibility or a combination of the two.

Coach Pope’s energy, enthusiasm and love for Kentucky, combined with his humbleness and work ethic are guaranteed that , fun times are ahead!

I'd have loved to have kept Fland.
Richmond is a player too but Fland was very desirable regardless of system.

Don't get too allergic to top shelf freshmen, they will always be in the mix we just won't be trying to fill a whole roster with them.

I'd have loved to have kept Fland.
Richmond is a player too but Fland was very desirable regardless of system.

Don't get too allergic to top shelf freshmen, they will always be in the mix we just won't be trying to fill a whole roster with them.
3 -4 freshman every year, from which 2 stay would be ideal.

I don’t mind Chandler and Perry being here next year as well and probably at least one of Garrison and Oweh. Pope might add couple of more players that will stick around and maybe 1 big name .

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT