ADVERTISEMENT

50 greatest white athletes of all-time?

Also:

Phelps, Gretzky, Brady, Bird, Ted Williams. Top five. Babe Ruth was mixed.

Discuss.

People would have made fun of the last 35 choices? They'd have mocked Simmons for choosing only Boston athletes? I don't know, what's the answer? What would have happened?

ESPN ran off Simmons and Grantland.

They now claim that Undefeated is doing as well as Grantland.

If Simmons had done a list of top white athletes, I doubt it gets celebrated and promoted on the main ESPN site the way the Undefeated gets promoted.

Sammy Sosa has to be up there.

sammy-sosa-attends-the-mana-concert-at-americanairlines-arena-on-may-picture-id144223983

Also:

Phelps, Gretzky, Brady, Bird, Ted Williams. Top five. Babe Ruth was mixed.

Discuss.

Mickey Mantle was better than Ruth. Didn't read anything but the Mick is probably goat. The guy hit .300 from both sides of the plate among other eye popping stats. And he did this while getting 4 hours sleep a night, hungover, and drunk half/all of his career.

Ruth is a bit of myth because he was essentially the first in a time when popularity was rising. I'll take a sober Mick over any baseball player then or now.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
ESPN ran off Simmons and Grantland.

They now claim that Undefeated is doing as well as Grantland.

If Simmons had done a list of top white athletes, I doubt it gets celebrated and promoted on the main ESPN site the way the Undefeated gets promoted.

I feel pretty victimized.

But seriously, ESPN pushed grantland in a major way. Simmons was just a terrible editor and the staff was too big to be profitable. I loved Grantland but dropping it made sense.

If The Undefeated continues to swell, it'll meet a similar fate. It's still in the stage where Grantland was getting a huge push too.

Give it time. ESPN likes to expand to the breaking point and then crash back. Don't think it's a race thing.

I feel pretty victimized.

But seriously, ESPN pushed grantland in a major way. Simmons was just a terrible editor and the staff was too big to be profitable. I loved Grantland but dropping it made sense.

If The Undefeated continues to swell, it'll meet a similar fate. It's still in the stage where Grantland was getting a huge push too.

Give it time. ESPN likes to expand to the breaking point and then crash back. Don't think it's a race thing.

Pretty sure it is. Time will tell.

Mickey Mantle was better than Ruth. Didn't read anything but the Mick is probably goat. The guy hit .300 from both sides of the plate among other eye popping stats. And he did this while getting 4 hours sleep a night, hungover, and drunk half/all of his career.

Ruth is a bit of myth because he was essentially the first in a time when popularity was rising. I'll take a sober Mick over any baseball player then or now.

I never saw any of them play, and frankly don't know or care enough about baseball to have a strong opinion. I know Williams had the better batting numbers and kept with my "Simmons likes Boston guys" joke.

Almost listed Orr over Gretzky for the same reason but figured it was too indefensible.

I'd actually really like to see this hypothetical top 50 white athletes list. But I'm a rankings/lists guy anyway. It's fun to debate.

Reactions: morgousky

If Mantle didn't tear up his leg, he's probably the GOAT.

He's a switch-hitting Mays.

Ruth was transcendent. When he first "set" the home run record, I believe it was somewhere under 200. He just kept going.

Agree with you about the Mick, but The Babe wasnt exactly drinking iced teas and getting a solid 8 hours a night either.

Plus the Babe took the HR record from 29 to 60. Think about that. And had more homers individually that year than all but 3 TEAMS. And was one of the best starting pitchers in the league his 1st 4 years, winning 20 plus games a year.

I never saw any of them play, and frankly don't know or care enough about baseball to have a strong opinion. I know Williams had the better batting numbers and kept with my "Simmons likes Boston guys" joke.

Almost listed Orr over Gretzky for the same reason but figured it was too indefensible.

I'd actually really like to see this hypothetical top 50 white athletes list. But I'm a rankings/lists guy anyway. It's fun to debate.

Yea being 31 I never got to see them play. But I was raised by a baseball dad from the 50's so.....

Mantle had a terrible addiction problem and some/most of the men in his family died from issues such as heart disease at young ages. He lived depressed and fast, thinking he wouldn't live to see 40-50 years. He never put his all into baseball and was still one of the most amazing ballplayers of all time. If Mantle would have had the type of training and routines athletes have today I think his name would be top 3 in the history of all sports.

During his HOF interviews he became emotional talking about being young and throwing away the opportunity to be goat. And hell, he's still one of the first names that appear when you think baseball history. Pretty remarkable story theres a few books on the subject that are great reads.

Eh. The SJW stuff has rightly been pushed back to academia (where it's festering and out of control, especially at the elite schools) and certain narrow outlets that cater to them. You get the watered-down version of it on mainstream media (eg people trying to get John McEnroe to apologize for saying that Serena would be 700th in the men's world *after they asked him*, when in fact he was being really, really generous). And even that mild version gets good push-back. Which is all you can ask for.

Forget about top 50 black athletes... If you go to youtube, you can find guys literally preaching (black/white/arab) supremacy with 100k+ views and full approval ratings on the "like bar". And these same people get offended by the weakest jokes about them. They're absolutely intolerable.

But if you have the energy to get riled up about every dumb opinion, then you're gonna end up wasting lots of time. I'm glad to live in this incredibly rare country where (for a little while longer, at least), speech is truly free. Look at the embarrassing medieval speech policies in most European countries and you'll see what I mean.

As long as there is a big, healthy, counter movement, censorship will be unsuccessful. Remember when SJWs basically ran the internet unchecked back in ~2011? That was worth being frustrated about.

That said, I think we should live in a world where people can make whatever list they want. Nothing inherently offensive about it, I think you'd agree.

I have many - ranging from greatest Jamaican sprinters to greatest Chinese powerlifters. Some lists may be a little longer than others.

How on earth is Bo Jackson only #25?
Lebron at #29
Bill Russell at #36

What is the criteria for this list?

Reactions: Catzman
Agree with you about the Mick, but The Babe wasnt exactly drinking iced teas and getting a solid 8 hours a night either.

Plus the Babe took the HR record from 29 to 60. Think about that. And had more homers individually that year than all but 3 TEAMS. And was one of the best starting pitchers in the league his 1st 4 years, winning 20 plus games a year.

No but babe ruth didn't have the substance abuse issues and depression that Mick had. And imo Mick's generation is goat. And I don't believe that's nostalgia either, as I'm 31 and love 80's and 90's baseball. I think objectively those guys were just insane. Ruth played with great players al well, but it's a much bigger drop off than the 40's/60's guys. When Sandy Koufax isn't the best pitcher in that generation, damn.

Ruth had a great era and is a goat, I just think the Mick is the best natural baseball player of all time.

On white baseball players, I'd have to say my favorite is Ken Griffey Jr. I'm a Stl die hard but Ken is Ken to a 90's kid.

No but babe ruth didn't have the substance abuse issues and depression that Mick had. And imo Mick's generation is goat. And I don't believe that's nostalgia either, as I'm 31 and love 80's and 90's baseball. I think objectively those guys were just insane. Ruth played with great players al well, but it's a much bigger drop off than the 40's/60's guys. When Sandy Koufax isn't the best pitcher in that generation, damn.

Ruth had a great era and is a goat, I just think the Mick is the best natural baseball player of all time.

On white baseball players, I'd have to say my favorite is Ken Griffey Jr. I'm a Stl die hard but Ken is Ken to a 90's kid.

o_O

I'm not sure what that has to do with Kentucky Basketball, but it is not politically correct, and I am outraged. I will be boycotting whatever theundefeated.com is from now on.

Reactions: SuporChin and UKUGA

He's so advanced, he doesn't even see color :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT