ADVERTISEMENT

4-star RB Marquise Davis commits to Kentucky

Read that he had taken officials to UK, Michigan Fl and Tenn, as hos final 4 choices. That's quite a pull. We are finally pulling in RBs that match the level of how we've been developing here. This staff has been putting 3 star guys in the league, so I had been wondering why the higher rated RBs hadn't been lining up.

Had been hanging out at MI a lot in between hanging out at UK quite a bit. To beat both schools like that for a player that could have literally went anywhere he wanted to is impressive for us to say the least. It would be nice if this is the play that moves the needle for us to the next level.

Robert Redford Nod GIF

Had been hanging out at MI a lot in between hanging out at UK quite a bit. To beat both schools like that for a player that could have literally went anywhere he wanted to is impressive for us to say the least. It would be nice if this is the play that moves the needle for us to the next level.
We need big production from our top receivers this year as well because we likely lose Key and Brown to the draft if they have big years. We need some high level talent that can step in and replace that production after they're gone.

Reactions: maroon79
Read that he had taken officials to UK, Michigan Fl and Tenn, as hos final 4 choices. That's quite a pull. We are finally pulling in RBs that match the level of how we've been developing here. This staff has been putting 3 star guys in the league, so I had been wondering why the higher rated RBs hadn't been lining up.
He's the highest-ranked running back commit of the Mark Stoops era.

1. Love the job by Marrow/Stoops to get him....best rated RB to UK in Stoops era...hope he lives up to it
2. But I see a shift in RB type...we seem to be going back to the bigger between the tackles RB and not as enamored with the lighter RBs.

- I never saw the love for McClain that many raved on as a change of pace RB.
- AJ Rose was decent...but he was easily a step down from Benny and even CROD.
- Smoke...not as decent as Rose...but clearly a step back
- We had all the small kids you could want....and Ray Davis had to go from portal and we never tried to establish a #2 RB behind him
- Today....big transfer RB Traynum walks into the job (but never was heavy used at Ohio St or Arizona St) and guys like Wilcox, Sumo Karngbye, Mizel are beaten out by Patterson (who is a bigger RB).

I look forward to seeing this kid have a great chance to win the job in 2025....but the lighter RB that Coen desired never materialized at UK. I am more than happy to get back to Benny/CRod style of running game.s

1. Love the job by Marrow/Stoops to get him....best rated RB to UK in Stoops era...hope he lives up to it
2. But I see a shift in RB type...we seem to be going back to the bigger between the tackles RB and not as enamored with the lighter RBs.

- I never saw the love for McClain that many raved on as a change of pace RB.
- AJ Rose was decent...but he was easily a step down from Benny and even CROD.
- Smoke...not as decent as Rose...but clearly a step back
- We had all the small kids you could want....and Ray Davis had to go from portal and we never tried to establish a #2 RB behind him
- Today....big transfer RB Traynum walks into the job (but never was heavy used at Ohio St or Arizona St) and guys like Wilcox, Sumo Karngbye, Mizel are beaten out by Patterson (who is a bigger RB).

I look forward to seeing this kid have a great chance to win the job in 2025....but the lighter RB that Coen desired never materialized at UK. I am more than happy to get back to Benny/CRod style of running game.s
Mizell's recovering from ACL and MCL surgery, likely he won't be a factor in '24.

Reactions: Girthang
- "AJ Rose was decent...but he was easily a step down from Benny and even CROD"

Crod dang near broke Benny's record with much less carries overall while missing 4 games Chris Rodriguez is the best overall RB of the stoops era above Benny even if Snell has the record.

Dudes a 6.2 yard per carry back over almost 600 carries for his career lol. Benny is almost a whole yard shorter on AVG and got 737 carries vs Crods 592.

If Crod got Benny's carries and all things stayed average Chris would've had 4569 yards which blows bennys 3873 away. Benny benefited from being the bell cow because we weren't capable of throwing the ball more than about 6 foot accurately for most of his tenure.

AJ rose is a career 2k yard back who got limited playing time due to the 2 best RB in Stops Era playing in front of him.... Not too bad when you have a 2k yard backup that makes the NFL when your other 2 are top of the record books ..

A lot of people love Benny and I'm one of them but he's not a better back in college or pros than Chris. And the revisionist history of AJ is astounding ..... He was a killer backup and the stats prove it.

2k yards when you have two 3k+ career record book rushers you're fighting with for carries is actually kind of insane. He done a few stupid things but if you told me our backup RB would have 440+ 800+ and 600+ in the three years he provided significant contributions id be ecstatic .

Last edited:
With one of the best classes in Stoops tenure just completed, it looks like we could very well have our strongest back to back classes in a very long time. We get Florida's leading rusher in high school with Patterson and now a very good shot to have a top ten RB in the whole country with Davis. Davis still has a couple of visits scheduled. Start going two deep with high quality like this in a lot of positions that we have a chance to do is the way to start a higher level of play.

Nice to see top RBs wake up to what Stoops and staff have done in the running game. The post above shows why...a bunch of good backs that put up crazy numbers in our system.

Twitch Wow GIF
Totally agree....befuddlng to see 4 star RB never choose UK until this kid.

Nice to see top RBs wake up to what Stoops and staff have done in the running game. The post above shows why...a bunch of good backs that put up crazy numbers in our system.

Twitch Wow GIF
Agreed. UK has four 3000+ yard rushers All Time with two of those, Snell/CRod, coming within the last 5 years. That's not an accident. Throw in Boom's 1000+ yd season, Ray Davis's 1000+/20+ TD season and it's easy to see that UK is very RB friendly.

Crod dang near broke Benny's record with much less carries overall while missing 4 games Chris Rodriguez is the best overall RB of the stoops era above Benny even if Snell has the record.

Dudes a 6.2 yard per carry back over almost 600 carries for his career lol. Benny is almost a whole yard shorter on AVG and got 737 carries vs Crods 592.

If Crod got Benny's carries and all things stayed average Chris would've had 4569 yards which blows bennys 3873 away.
Yup. I’d only add Benny also got to run behind superior OL too.

I go back and forth if Ray is better than both but don’t feel strongly.

Yup. I’d only add Benny also got to run behind superior OL too.

I go back and forth if Ray is better than both but don’t feel strongly.

One thing that effects BS's stats that I haven't seen mentioned is he played when UK had very little passing threat which allowed defenses to load the box with 8 and 9 men. Both were very good SEC RB's who led different types of UK' teams.

We need big production from our top receivers this year as well because we likely lose Key and Brown to the draft if they have big years. We need some high level talent that can step in and replace that production after they're gone.
Brown and Key will have to step it up several notches to be drafted this year imo. I hope they do though!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT