ADVERTISEMENT

4 * KALEN EDWARDS commits to kentucky

jeffky

Sophomore
Sep 22, 2017

Batman Dancing GIF

This class is looking as strong as I’ve ever seen overall and every single guy so far has a ton of potential to actually help the Cats. The talent has definitely improved over the last several years but it’s taking a giant leap the last two. Of course we’ll have to see how they work out but I really like the players we’re getting. Unbelievable job by the staff so far.

Excellent news but please leave plenty of spots for immediate help portal guys
Landscape has changed and you have to rerecruit everyone of these kids every year
The portal has definitely changed the game. But, I think the best programs (and our path into the 12 team CFP) is to recruit the best possible players, then take transfers based on outgoing transfers. We both know the result of better recruiting will be the future departure of some players who are currently on the roster. I don’t like losing current players that may contribute one or two years. However, that’s the nature of the beast. Players who can play earlier because of their talent causes others to leave. These departures will create plenty room for taking incoming transfers.

I agree 110% with you that I’d rather take an incoming transfer than a borderline hs recruit at a skilled position. But, I’ll take all the blue chip recruits we can get. (Especially DL recruits.). All of them will not pan out, but the cream will rise to the top.

I just watched Kalen’s Junior film

Myron Pryor immediately came to mind.

And Kalen is two inches taller and 15
pounds heavier than Myron when he graduated!!!!
Have read that TN, GA, MO and of course AU offered him. A guy we really needed with Walker leaving. Just needs to be a hard worker and our coaches will get him there in time. Now, let's get Dennious Jackson and our DL will be set up for a lot of success the next few years.

So now with a top 25 DL in Edwards, listed at 6-4 325 in some places, we have moved up to 20th with this class and 10th in the SEC. Steele says we have the 9th best DL right now. So now with this class of Smith, Edwards, Campbell and Works it looks like our DL can continue that tradition of a strong DL for the next few years. The depth is setting up well to be high quality at least two deep if not more.

So now with a top 25 DL in Edwards, listed at 6-4 325 in some places, we have moved up to 20th with this class and 10th in the SEC. Steele says we have the 9th best DL right now. So now with this class of Smith, Edwards, Campbell and Works it looks like our DL can continue that tradition of a strong DL for the next few years. The depth is setting up well to be high quality at least two deep if not more.
Don't forget youngsters already on campus, Gadston, Gilbert, B. Robinson, J.Smith. Should be fun.

I am so trippin I never thought for over 2 years we could get big K. Never. When he was all over Auburn, UT, and Georgia I just assumed it could never happen. I wanted to say I know him and a family close to him. Definitely had a shock yesterday quite a few of us did.my best friend is one of his closest allies and we both thought Louisville yesterday. He did 100% like Louisville from a time growing up lol. He’s in an extremely challenging situation and I hope he discusses it because what he deals with and the way he handles himself is so unique and rare it’ll blow minds. What UK is getting is an incredible person, the kind that makes you want to root for him and his situation. I won’t get into it because it’s not my place but I hope he discusses what he’s worked through. He’s a cycle breaker and this is the first player to commit to UK from where I played and my hometown.

Congrats Big K.

Have read that TN, GA, MO and of course AU offered him. A guy we really needed with Walker leaving. Just needs to be a hard worker and our coaches will get him there in time. Now, let's get Dennious Jackson and our DL will be set up for a lot of success the next few years.

100%. He was extremely high on Georgia as a sophomore. Grew up liking Louisville (for some reason never could figure it out). He committed to AU because of a coach at our hometown school and an assistant at AU but that coach left Auburn and so he pulled out. He would probably be at Auburn had that not happened so yes he could EASILY be at UT, Auburn, or Georgia if he wanted to be 100%. The staff at UK gave him exactly what he was looking for. Tennessee was eliminated they never pulled out and AU wanted him to this day. We got a big time recruit and great kid the staff came in and got a highly coveted player. Can’t tell everyone how awesome of a kid this is. Not an ounce of trouble, very humble, inspiring kid in a unique situation. Hard to believe he could go through what he does and come out like this. Amazing guy.

You can expect zero off the field issues with this kid and a lock room rock.

good news he’s finishing the season in the burg and enrolling / moving to UK early. He wants to get to work he’s extremely excited.

So damn happy for Big K this couldn’t happen to a nicer kid.

Last edited:
Excellent news but please leave plenty of spots for immediate help portal guys
Landscape has changed and you have to rerecruit everyone of these kids every year
Attrition will open up some of those spots. Guys will transfer out opening up spots. Still have to get the best high school talent you can and develop them. Retaining them is a tough part too.

Don't forget youngsters already on campus, Gadston, Gilbert, B. Robinson, J.Smith. Should be fun.
Yeah, after I posted that I realized I should have put those four with the new four after stating we are assured to be high quality two deep on the DL for the next few years. These two DL classes together are without a doubt another level up for us. Not only size but more quickness than what we have always been getting. Super excited about it.

I am so trippin I never thought for over 2 years we could get big K. Never. When he was all over Auburn, UT, and Georgia I just assumed it could never happen. I wanted to say I know him and a family close to him. Definitely had a shock yesterday quite a few of us did.my best friend is one of his closest allies and we both thought Louisville yesterday. He did 100% like Louisville from a time growing up lol. He’s in an extremely challenging situation and I hope he discusses it because what he deals with and the way he handles himself is so unique and rare it’ll blow minds. What UK is getting is an incredible person, the kind that makes you want to root for him and his situation. I won’t get into it because it’s not my place but I hope he discusses what he’s worked through. He’s a cycle breaker and this is the first player to commit to UK from where I played and my hometown.

Congrats Big K.
He said he just got a feeling in his stomach that UK was the best place for him and his family. Said that more of our coaches was involved with him than at other places. And our coaches did a good job showing him how he fits into the scheme they run here. Can go NT or DT. Said it reminded him of the way it is at his high school.

Reactions: Killswitch24
I didn’t see this one coming.

If a couple of other commitments drop correctly, your looking at a top 10 defense, 2025-27.
Hack, I really like your thoughts, and couldn't agree more. Never ever thought I 'd see times like today with Kentucky Football back in the 20th Century. Many on here don't remember how thrilled we were back then when we got a 3 star recruit, a 4 star was a pipe dream, now look at us. WOW!!!!!

good news he’s finishing the season in the burg and enrolling / moving to UK early. He wants to get to work he’s extremely excited.

So damn happy for Big K this couldn’t happen to a nicer kid.
I'm very familiar with the Dyersburg area, have family in Friendship, Newbern area, and I know the great competition in that area. The Jackson paper last month had him rated the top defensive player in West Tennessee, so he's definitely well known. I'm thrilled he committed, especially after watch all the film I could find, great feet, quick twitch and strength on contact along with good hands.

Congrats Big K.
You already got me rootin extra for this kid!

Reactions: Killswitch24
Never ever thought I 'd see times like today with Kentucky Football back in the 20th Century.

After my home County July 4th celebration, some friends and I were reminiscing about the old days . . . .

. . . . like the old day we surrendered the first P5 win to Louisiana Monroe in ‘94 . . . .

and took a home loss to Ohio in ‘05 . . . ,

and back-to/back to WKY, in 2012/13 . . . .

and the old days when I bought Athlon’s, hoping to find a football category in which we weren’t ranked dead-last in the SEC.

Yes, the old days——years——-decades . . . I dreamt of attending a bowl game in short sleeves, within 200 miles of a beach (an ocean beach).

The perspective of decades is relevant: just ask Nebraska fans; fans of a program likely never to rise back to former glory, or fans of Kentucky, a program likely never to fall to those former depths.

I enjoy seeking causes of historic changes. I certainly credit Stoops and staff, as well as Barnhart, but will forever believe the most historic turning point occurred on December 14, 1995.

Tim Couch’s verbal commitment shook the football world. He was widely believed to be the most coveted high school recruit since Joe Namath, 34 years prior. I actually got a suntan at the Outback Bowl on January 1, 1999, along with 50K Kentucky fans.

It would be another 17 seasons before we got back to Florida for the post-season, and I doubt that either the 1999 Outback Bowl or the 2016 Taxslayer/Gator Bowl (or our 5 other recent Florida Bowls) would have occurred absent the unusual decision of a football phenom to attend a program where he was the only 5 Star commitment on the team.

I'm very familiar with the Dyersburg area, have family in Friendship, Newbern area, and I know the great competition in that area. The Jackson paper last month had him rated the top defensive player in West Tennessee, so he's definitely well known. I'm thrilled he committed, especially after watch all the film I could find, great feet, quick twitch and strength on contact along with good hands.

Good ole Friendship. My family were all teachers / administrators / local gov in Dyersburg. Small world. I went to DHS. So glad to finally have a player go to UK out of there!

Dyer Co has done well to advance recently when they built the new school I’ll give them that. I never lost a game to them when I played mid 2,000’s😃

You mentioned Jackson. Is that where you live now. My daughter is a lawyer there. Her husband is from Jackson and they moved there after law school

You mentioned Jackson. Is that where you live now. My daughter is a lawyer there. Her husband is from Jackson and they moved there after law school
No, but I have a Aunt that lives in Jackson and three 1st cousins that live there. I grew up in Hickman Co. Ky and live in Paducah.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT